PDA

View Full Version : NiMh Battery Packs??

sdartt
07-10-2008, 08:34 AM
I am ready to order two NiMh battery packs for a Titan 9XL with Hydra 120. I plan to start out with NiMh and then go LiPo later. Here is what I am looking at having Cheap Batteries.Com build for me.
NiMh 9cell, 10.8 volt, Elite 4000SC cells and 12 gauge wire. These will be used to sport boat. How do these packs look to you who have been there and done that??
Thanks for any input:confused2:

Doby
07-10-2008, 10:10 AM
There is a reason that NiMh's are becomming extinct. They have problems providing the current required by the motors. I'm running the same motor and controller setup in my Blackjack and the few NiMh packs I do have come back very hot. For the small difference in price, set yourself up with LiPos. The difference in performance is remarkable.

The 6 packs I have remaining are the IB 4200's which were apparently the best and I've had about 10 cells vent on me over the past year.

Just don't want you to waste your money if you plan on upgrading later.

sdartt
07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
You are correct, for about $54 more I can go lipo with these Elite 3300 - 30C - 3Cell. Do you think these will have decent run time for sport boating?? Thanks:confused2:

Doby
07-10-2008, 12:05 PM
They should do fine, I'm assuming that you would go for the 3S packs?
I just ordered some Elites for my SV. I have heard that they are good cells for the money. Got mine at RC LiPos,,,free shipping !

Make sure you program your Hydra for the appropriate LVC.

sdartt
07-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Yes I plan to go with 3S, I have not programed my Hyrda yet. I have the USB cable from OSE and will have to down load the program from Castle and learn that to do the proper set up. Thanks again