PDA

View Full Version : Removing the strut

raymund629
07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi Guys! Im traveling abroad in a few months and im taking with me my FE Super Vee27. I want to remove all the hardware in the transom. My problem is the strut. I know l can remove the strut but what I don't know is how to remove the parts thats attach to the strut including the flex cable. Will someone please teach me how to remove them and it would be better if you have pictures to show.

Test0055
07-10-2008, 04:02 AM
Removing the flex cable to grease it and check it for wear and tear is part of the maintenance routine, this is described in the manual.

To remove the flex cable, undo the coupling on the motor output shaft with a 12mm and a 10mm spanner and then when you pull on the prop the flex cable will slide out.

To put it back; gently push the flex cable back in the stuffing tube and make sure it goes into the locking mechanism and tighten the 12mm & 10mm coupling to the motor.
Leave a 3-4mm gap between the drive dog and strut for clearance.

G Doggett
07-10-2008, 04:27 AM
If you want to completely remove the strut once the shaft has been removed thats not difficult, just undo the 4 bolts and pull it off.
The difficult part is the fact that the stuffing tube that extends into the strut is epoxied into the hull. So even with the strut removed you will still have the tube sticking out the back of the boat where it can be damaged in transit.
It might be safer to remove the rudder and prop but leave the strut in place and design some packing to protect it.
Graham.