PDA

View Full Version : Confused on run times cat VS mono

Evesniper
06-23-2013, 10:31 AM
I was under the impression Cats run longer on a similar setup to monos. Due to monos running wetter than a cat. My MC after 5m comes back at 3.70-3.73.....My revolt after 6m comes back at 3.77?????? It is usually windy where I live. Those voltages are RIGHT after a run.

BHChieftain
06-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Try running the same prop between the boats and see what happens. Also would be helpful to check how many mah you actually put back into the backs vs. using voltage as mahs are much more accurate.
Chief

NativePaul
06-24-2013, 07:07 PM
It depends, on SO much!

Water conditions can play a big part, lots of boats stick like glue to a mirror flat lake and free up when there are some nice ripples gaining speed and runtime, if it is quite rough you may have to add weight to keep it stable which will reduce runtime and if there are big enough waves you will have to throttle off or prop down which will gain you runtime.

A Tunnel should have some Tunnel lift lifting it out the water and giving better run times, but it is a more complex shape and given the same layup a mono will be lighter giving better run times, steps should loosen things up giving better run times (if they are well designed), just because they have no tunnel lift it doesnt mean a mono has no lift, some have more than they can handle, the flatness of the ride surfaces makes a big difference if one has a hook that will suck a lot of current, general setup can vary amp draw a lot too, CoG, prop depth, prop angle, trim tave presence, height, angle and rudder angle can all make difference to how much current a boat draws and how long it runs as well as more obvious stuff such as prop size, motor KV, voltage, driveshaft friction motor efficiency, ESC efficiency and prop efficiency.