PDA

View Full Version : 2013 NAMBA SAW Time-Trial - November 8th, 9th & 10th at Legg Lake!

RaceMechaniX
06-20-2013, 05:59 PM
The Fall time trial has been moved from October to November 8th, 9th and 10th. Come out and participate at the premier SAW venue held at Legg Lake in South El Monte, CA. The three day event will run from sun up to sun down and is topped off by a gut busting BBQ extravaganza by Kim Grim. We encourage all to come and participate whether you are a seasoned pro or a first time SAW racer. We welcome all international competitors and can assist with equipment and shipping to make travel a bit easier.

If you know or think you can make it, please send Mark Grim an email or phone call so we can get a headcount.

Remember NAMBA has just approved the new Cat classes so there are open records to chase. If you have any questions post here or contact Mark.

7372 Natal Drive, Westminster, CA 92683
714-615-9974
mgrim@mindspring.com

Fluid
06-20-2013, 08:26 PM
I plan on attending, see y'all in November!

Doug Smock
08-29-2013, 04:49 PM
I thought I had put a sticky on this for you fellas. Sorry:confused1:

It's stuck now!!:beerchug:

Good luck!!

BILL OXIDEAN
08-29-2013, 05:58 PM
I thought I had put a sticky on this for you fellas. Sorry:confused1:

It's stuck now!!:beerchug:

Good luck!!

Doug, is this the same weekend as E-City?

Chilli
08-29-2013, 06:02 PM
'Liz City is the weekend before.

BILL OXIDEAN
08-29-2013, 06:07 PM
'Liz City is the weekend before.

Thanks!

thomaslambo
09-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Gotta feeling this will be one for the record books....bring it on guys :flammes-09:

RaceMechaniX
09-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Bill,

Are you heading out to NC before our event?

TG

BILL OXIDEAN
09-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Man I don't know how I'm gonna swing alm this stuff Tyler. Id really like to hit E-City then come down to LA after then finish straightline season at Minden. Though performance may suffer Im very likely to do E-City then Legg..

BILL OXIDEAN
09-17-2013, 01:36 AM
If I can get enough rest leading up to the events Im golden.
that mesns I need a different girlfriend than the one Ive got or just none at all lol!
It takes co operation from those around me..

Fluid
09-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Gotta feeling this will be one for the record books....Sure it will be, there are five new catamaran classes with zero records on the books!

thomaslambo
09-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Sure it will be, there are five new catamaran classes with zero records on the books!

No kidding....where's your sense of humor :smile:

Fluid
09-17-2013, 10:03 AM
No kidding....where's your sense of humor :smile:

? :huh:

BILL OXIDEAN
09-17-2013, 12:17 PM
? :huh:

5 new cat classes? Nice! Can you list them? I didn't get any propwash stuff this season.
I know Pltd cat is one..

thomaslambo
09-17-2013, 02:50 PM
5 new cat classes? Nice! Can you list them? I didn't get any propwash stuff this season.
I know Pltd cat is one..

Going to need to check the rule book.....but basically remove Mono hulls from the old Offshore classes and you have the new Cat classes (N2, P, P Limited, Q, S and T Cat).

Fluid
09-17-2013, 03:26 PM
There are actually eight if you count N-1 and M/S (which are SAW/2-lap only). As I read the rule book, all the "old" Offshore classes are still valid for oval but no records can be set in them.

Darin Jordan
09-17-2013, 05:16 PM
There are actually eight if you count N-1 and M/S (which are SAW/2-lap only). As I read the rule book, all the "old" Offshore classes are still valid for oval but no records can be set in them.

I'm sure that Newland is just THRILLED at this realization... :doh:

There you go, Billy... Looks like you have some new goals to achieve!

If I had something in a 24"-ish sized Cat... I might... ummm... Oh, heck... no I wouldn't...

Should be FUN! A bunch of overpowered little boats mimic'ing their big brothers all weekend!

Do we need to call the TSA to do some inspections before each flight?? :tt2:

RaceMechaniX
09-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Bill,

If you were really crazy, you would be heading to the IMPBA SAW race at Flint, MI the first week of October. That gives you almost a month to rebuild if there is carnage before Legg.

I would be going to E city too, but I will be at the SEMA show for the first half of the week and then taking the rest of the week off for Legg.

And yes, for SAW all the standard power systems apply so N1, M2, N2, P-Ltd, P, Q, S and T are legal classes.

TG

PatrickM
09-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Damn!...... cherry pickin' at its easiest...... my specialty!
Wish that I owned a cat or two. :smile:

BILL OXIDEAN
09-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Bill,

If you were really crazy, you would be heading to the IMPBA SAW race at Flint, MI the first week of October. That gives you almost a month to rebuild if there is carnage before Legg.

I would be going to E city too, but I will be at the SEMA show for the first half of the week and then taking the rest of the week off for Legg.

And yes, for SAW all the standard power systems apply so N1, M2, N2, P-Ltd, P, Q, S and T are legal classes.

TG

Thanks for the solid confirm, D. Jordan had me read the rules last night. @ Pat, no cherry pickn 'round here no more, ALL the cats will be there with their knived transoms and pickleforks sharpened lol!
On the NAMBA cats, I may let some milestones be set then (try to) knock 'em down, I like at least 120 days prep on a SAW project..
I'd love to do Flint, I owe those guys a visit along with Huntsville, but I'm just not ready.. Those guys over there run SAW multiple times a year. E-city is a straight I'm familiar with, plus Kentley Porter wants me back down there
PLUS!!! One of my trophy models lives there and will be fresh back from Puerto Rico lol! Chris Harris is a class act that's fun to watch. I'll be making E-city. I'll just make good descisions down there.
Here's the model : )

P.S. Tyler, when's the last time you watched Mork and Mindy? SUUUPER funny! I was too little to really get the humor back in the day. Watching it now and Robin Williams is nuts!

RaceMechaniX
09-19-2013, 09:06 AM
P.S. Tyler, when's the last time you watched Mork and Mindy? SUUUPER funny! I was too little to really get the humor back in the day. Watching it now and Robin Williams is nuts!

Too young as well, I may have watched an episode 20 years ago.

TG

thomaslambo
09-19-2013, 09:14 AM
@ Pat, no cherry pickn 'round here no more, ALL the cats will be there with their knived transoms and pickleforks sharpened lol!

Amen brother :iagree:

Hey, did you get another carbon fiber bullet completed? :Sinking:

RaceMechaniX
10-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Guys, It's getting close to the event and Mark and Kim need a head count particularly for food. If you have not been to a Legg Lake SAW in recent years, Kim Grim rolls out the red carpet with a 5 star BBQ buffet. We want to make sure we have enough food to feed all those that attend. Please email Kim and Mark at mgrim@mindspring.com and/or post here and I can relay a head count.

I can assume the following will be coming from the FE side:

Brian B
Darin J
Tony H
Jay T
Bill O
Boyd M
Mark F
Jan H

Who am I missing?

Darin Jordan
10-24-2013, 11:26 PM
I can assume the following will be coming from the FE side:

Brian B
Darin J
Tony H
Jay T
Bill O
Boyd M
Mark F
Jan H

Who am I missing?

Very good assumption! :thumbup1:

Fluid
10-25-2013, 06:57 AM
I sent the Grims an e-mail...........:wink:

RaceMechaniX
10-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks Jay.

TG

BILL OXIDEAN
10-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Very good assumption! :thumbup1:

I second that : )
Although I always hope we get some new contestants..

Fluid
10-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Hey Wilmer, I'm kinda new - I wasn't there last year......

BILL OXIDEAN
10-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Hey Wilmer, I'm kinda new - I wasn't there last year......

Right? Always a pleasure havin' ya' welcome back!
I remember a time when we would see maybe 10 passes of 100+mph all weekend.
Now there's stuff zoomin' through the traps at 100+ All day long (although I've yet to hit 100)

My have things progressed..

Darin Jordan
11-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Just about ready to make the trip! Meet up with Brian on Wednesday, then we head out EARLY Thursday morning.

Spent a good chunk of the weekend getting everything buttoned up. I think I'm about ready to go.

Noteably absent are any of my N1 boats. Leaving them at home this time. It's all yours, Bill. Wanted to try something a little bigger this time around.

I am taking my M2 Hydro, which has been refined yet again. Pushed it to a fairly consistent 68mph last time. I just KNOW there is over 70 in it, and hopefully more. If the water is smooth, I just have to try a couple more passes.

Otherwise, I'm going to play with my Cat... and MIGHT pull out the OPC if things are looking good.

Should be plenty to keep me occupied this weekend. I have a feeling that there are going to be some amazing things happening out on the lake. Going to be on the ready with the video camera to hopefully capture the action.

thomaslambo
11-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Well, they've changed the weather report for the weekend every day for the past 3 or 4 days but it looks good now (no rain, low winds and mostly sunny).

I've replaced 2 of my Cats and the fleet has never been better prepared for an event....bring it on guys :rockon2:

RaceMechaniX
11-04-2013, 01:15 PM
This is going to be a great event particularly if the weather holds. I expect we will have 6-8 boats consistently running over 100 mph and several should be near the high water mark set by Joerg.

I managed to get all my boats prepped over the weekend and a reasonable kit of spares amassed for the inevitable.

I will be out at the lake around 5AM Friday to start setting up signage and safety lines to keep spectators at a safe distance.

Just a reminder, every competitor should have a fire extinguisher and have safe charging practices in place. We don't want to see anyone overcharging, over cooking or generally taking unnecessary risks. Also make sure your boats are legal, this includes NAMBA numbers and applicable rules for certain classes. We will have a short drivers meeting Friday morning to review the procedures as I know several new faces will be at the lake. I am going to also ask every competitor to grab a spotter/caller before their run to have an extra set of eyes for safety. There will be plenty of us available to assist.

See you guys at the lake!

TG

Darin Jordan
11-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Well, they've changed the weather report for the weekend every day for the past 3 or 4 days but it looks good now (no rain, low winds and mostly sunny).

I've replaced 2 of my Cats and the fleet has never been better prepared for an event....bring it on guys :rockon2:

Boyd, You always have 1st class stuff!

Which Cat classes are you attacking? Looks like all of them!

thomaslambo
11-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Boyd, which Cat classes are you attacking? Looks like all of them!

Well, I'm focused on P, Q, S and T as usual. I replaced two of my Cats this year and upgraded the others...but as you well know, it's always a crap shoot with dual motors and speeds over 100 MPH.

Thought I'd also take a stab at N-2 if time permits.

Tyler, thanks for the mindful eye and all the work you do at these events....and I'll see you at 5:00am Friday morning :tiphat:

Darin Jordan
11-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Just a reminder, every competitor should have a fire extinguisher and have safe charging practices in place.

Good Call, Tyler... Is there a particular Type we should have??

properchopper
11-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Well, I'm focused on P, Q, S and T as usual. I replaced two of my Cats this year and upgraded the others...but as you well know, it's always a crap shoot with dual motors and speeds over 100 MPH.

Thought I'd also take a stab at N-2 if time permits.

Tyler, thanks for the mindful eye and all the work you do at these events....and I'll see you at 5:00am Friday morning :tiphat:

Mee Too. Boyd : remember the donuts.

And, back by popular demand due to the extreme level of aspiration of this race, my Psychiatric/Grief Counseling booth will be available once more with the usual fee of .05 cents per minute or occurrence:thumbup1:

properchopper
11-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Never mind my e-mail; my spare will go to Jay

Just a reminder, every competitor should have a fire extinguisher

RaceMechaniX
11-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Good Call, Tyler... Is there a particular Type we should have??

A standard ABC should be sufficient.

RandyatBBY
11-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Good luck every one! I will not be there sorry

Darin Jordan
11-04-2013, 05:21 PM
A standard ABC should be sufficient.

Perfect... I'll make sure to have one there...

keithbradley
11-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Best of luck guys. Looking forward to seeing some big speeds posted! :thumbup1:

Boyd: The cats all look good, but I'm afraid the batman cape on each one in that pic might add some drag and slow them down...:biggrin:

thomaslambo
11-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Boyd: The cats all look good, but I'm afraid the batman cape on each one in that pic might add some drag and slow them down...:biggrin:

Keith,

Ah yes, the Batman Capes.

And thanks for all your help over the past few months, I always appreciate input from a world class competitor :patriot:

Wouldn’t that be something else if you were here this weekend to dice it up with all the "Heisenberg’s" !!! :flammes-09:

Boyd

Darin Jordan
11-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Weather is lookin good thus far!

Is it LUNCH TIME YET?? :tongue_smilie:

properchopper
11-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Lake's looking good. Not much wind today. Just spent a bunch of hours [Mark G., Mark F., Boyd, Roger & Kendt + Me] manicuring the launch and retrieve areas - Brush-clearing weedwacker worked fine (after my second trip to Home Depot to get the right attachment) so don't bring down the goats. Scooped up lots of flotsam. Water is curiously denser :noidea: Tick-Tock......:wink:

Darin Jordan
11-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Just a reminder for everyone attending.... BRING YOUR NAMBA CARDS, or, as in my case where I can't seem to find mine, PROOF of your current 2013 Membership. NO Membership, no "smoking"... if you get what I'm saying. :rules:

I'm heading South in a bit here this morning to meet up with Brian, so I'll be offline for a bit. Safe travels everyone and I look forward to seeing you all there!

RaceMechaniX
11-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Tony and gang,

Thanks for helping the manicure of the SAW area.

Much Appreciated.

TG

madmikepags
11-12-2013, 03:28 PM
uh hum???????? any info guys????????????? records? fights? blown up equipment? food critique? ANYTHING!!!!!!????????

BILL OXIDEAN
11-12-2013, 04:00 PM

uh hum???????? any info guys????????????? records? fights? blown up equipment? food critique? ANYTHING!!!!!!????????

Dude, I wasn't gonna' post, but I just spit my sandwich out laughin' so hard lol! All I can say is all of the above lol!

I'm not that good at posting results from these events, folks say I'm "Tooting my own horn" if I compliment anything, but I'll tell you this Mike, it was better than any "Nationals", regional "Turkey shoot"
or any other "Clam bake" for that matter. It was BIG CAT DIARIES. FIERCE cats and a Lot of 'em. Guys came in from Germany and Austria and didn't disapoint anyone.

Mike, they brought a cat that had to be all of 6-feet long that runs on 98 count 'em 98 cells. They didnt get to run it due to NAMBA insurance.
Too much went on down there for one guy to report, after the rest of the boys make it home and get rested you will see some INCREDIBLE posts.

properchopper
11-12-2013, 04:04 PM

As you know, it takes a few days to unpack/debrief/ return to reality (I'll only go as a tourist). I'd imagine that Tyler will post the official results soon. Ten new records. I have dozens of vids to sort/upload.

Here's a teaser :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbx_qe0Le50

Quick pit tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQYKYAOZhVc

[disclaimer : the 92" HPR was for DISPLAY ONLY - did NOT get wet]

Pictures/vids will be posted soon. As for the carnage : It seems that due to an apparent geothermal tectonic plate shift the center island had moved closer to the center of the course. Jay (and Darin) found it. Don't EVEN ask Brian about his Brand New T-Rigger and the Legg Lake/Bermuda Triangle/Club Archimedes on one end of the course

Fortunately preparations were in place for such occurrences

BILL OXIDEAN
11-12-2013, 04:14 PM
I hope no one is disapointed, but EVERYONE got along VERY well down there.
Best one I've been to in years literally (not that theres ever much nonsense down there)

madmikepags
11-12-2013, 04:25 PM
ah thats a bummer i was hoping for a fight!!!! LOL

RandyatBBY
11-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Put up more vids Tony, I love it. I just spoke with Darren he was ripped excited about the SAW's!

RaceMechaniX
11-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Here are the official results of the recent SAW event at Legg lake. Congrats to all those who posted new records and thanks to everyone for making this a safe and always fun event. If you were not there you really missed out on some great water and even better food. I'll follow up with some reflections in another post.

Fastest one way pass was a 135.679 in T Hydro over Brian Neal's 135.460 in T Cat.
Other notable speeds: Mark Grim went 109.4 with his G2 hydro, Steve O'Donnell ran 101 mph with his A hydro, Darin ran a little over 70 mph with a one cell M2 hydro.

In no particular order:

Record Type: Heat Racing - Straight A-Way Record,
Class: Q CATAMARAN
Name: MANUEL WENNY
Date: 11/10/2013
Seconds: 2.146
MPH: 104.846
Engine/Motor: TP 4050 "L"
Hull: PROTOTYPE
Prop: OCTURA X447/ANDY BROWN
BATTERY TYPE: SLS 5000 HTRON
SPEED CONTROL: TURNIGY T180A

Class: T SPORT HYDRO
Name: JAY TURNER
Date: 11/08/2013
Seconds: 2.710
MPH: 83.026
Engine/Motor: NEU 1521
Hull: AEROMARINE
Prop: ABC/SHOLUND 1816
BATTERY TYPE: DINOGY 5000
SPEED CONTROL: CASTLE 240

Class: T CATAMARAN
Name: BRIAN NEAL
Seconds: 1.686
MPH: 133.452
Engine/Motor: LEHNER
Hull: HPR 135
Prop: OCTURA
BATTERY TYPE: 1000
SPEED CONTROL: SCHULZE

Class: N-2 CATAMARAN
Name: DARIN JORDAN
Seconds: 3.447
MPH: 65.27
Engine/Motor: NEU
Hull: PRO BOAT MYSTIC "MINUS-TWO"
Prop: ABC 1818
BATTERY TYPE: THUNDER POWER
SPEED CONTROL: CASTLE CREATIONS

Class: P HYDRO
Name: BRIAN BUAAS
Seconds: 1.892
MPH: 118.922
Engine/Motor: HET
Hull: RAPTOR SAW SPECIAL
Prop: ABC
BATTERY TYPE: GRIM RACER
SPEED CONTROL: CASTLE CREATIONS

Class: P LIMITED MONO
Name: TONY HELLER
Date: 11/09/2013
Seconds: 4.020
MPH: 55.970
Engine/Motor: AQ2030
Hull: JETCHOPPER 30
Prop: ABC 1618
BATTERY TYPE: DINOGY45 5000
SPEED CONTROL: TURNIGY 120

Class: P LIMITED CATAMARAN
Name: TONY HELLER
Date: 11/08/2013
Seconds: 3.400
MPH: 66.176
Engine/Motor: AQ2030
Hull: H & M
Prop: ABC 1618
BATTERY TYPE: DINOGY45 3700
SPEED CONTROL: TURNIGY 120

Class: P CATAMARAN
Name: BOYD MARSHALL
Seconds: 2.187
MPH: 102.881
Hull: FCR 32
Prop: ABC DASBOATA
BATTERY TYPE: DINOGY
SPEED CONTROL: HW 180

Class: S CATAMARAN
Name: BOYD MARSHALL
Seconds: 2.059
MPH: 109.27
Hull: RADTEK 45
Prop: FCR
BATTERY TYPE: DINOGY
SPEED CONTROL: HIFEI 300 PRO

Class: M-2 CATAMARAN
Name: BILL OXIDEAN
Seconds: 5.347
MPH: 42.080
Engine/Motor: NOVAK
Hull: BBY
Prop: OCTURA 35
BATTERY TYPE: 5000 VENOM
SPEED CONTROL: NOVAK

Class: N-1 CATAMARAN
Name: BILL OXIDEAN
Date: 11/09/2013
Seconds: 6.061
MPH: 37.123
Engine/Motor: NOVAK
Hull: BBY
Prop: ETTI 35MM
BATTERY TYPE: 5000 VENOM
SPEED CONTROL: NOVAK

B Neal
11-13-2013, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the results Tyler, and the amount of time put into running the program.

You could have added the fact your Sunday after the race dinner tasted better than mine by 0.2mph ��

Darin Jordan
11-13-2013, 07:57 AM
You could have added the fact your Sunday after the race dinner tasted better than mine by 0.2mph ��

Hahaha... that's funny, Brian! Nice one! :)

Darin Jordan
11-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Still working on recovering from 20-hours of driving home from this event, but already working on plans for the next opportunity to do this again!

First, I'd like to thank Mark and Kim Grim for all the time and effort and energy they put into these events. It wouldn't happen without them and their efforts are very much appreciated by those of us who LOVE to do this. Also, thank you to Mark and Kim for putting me up for the weekend! Brian and I had some last minute change of plans that made it necessary for me to stay with Mark and Kim, and it was a very comfortable stay! Thank you, Grims!!

Thanks to Tyler for putting so much time into the details of the event, especially the safety barriers and signage and also the improved teching and record keeping. Seems to be getting better all the time and it was NO small effort to do all of this, AND prep boats to go well into the 130's. Thank you, Tyler!

Thanks to Tony Heller and all of the gang down there that took their own time during the week to go prepare the sight. They cut back the shoreline reeds that seem to be taking over and totally prepped the site for this event. NO small task! Thank You, Gang!!

And we can't forget to single out Kim Grim for her AWESOME, as usual, Lunch cooking, which is an event all unto itself! That alone is worth the trip.

Probably more I should be thanking, but they are giving me the cue to cut it short...

I had a great time, despite doing some pretty major damage to my Lynx during a P-Ltd OPC record attempt. After having blown it over on a few previous attempts, and having already made a couple of successful 65mph test passes, I was getting very close to the right setup. On Friday evening, I put the boat in the water and was making a first pass. The boat took a BEAUTIFUL set and looked to be heading for half of a quality record setting run. I was focusing on the hull, watching to see what it was going to do as it approached those magic numbers. Unfortunately, this means I wasn't watching it's line as carefully as I normally would, and I got a LOT too close to some overhanging bushes on the back side of the Legg Lake course... The damage was not too terrible, considering how hard it hit, but the impact did tear off my outdrive, sending it to live with the crawfish at the bottom of the pond... Gotta give Fred a call today and order a new one. I talked to Carl on the way home Monday and after seeing the pictures, he thinks I can repair it and it should run right again. Breaks my heart that this happens (this is my all time favorite RC boat!), but this happens from time to time. Will repair it and move on!

So, having brought two other boats, I turned my attention to running my N2 Catamaran. Made a few quality passes as I was getting the ride attitude and setup working. Went for it on Saturday and made a pair of 65.xx mph passes, which simply established a new N2 Cat record. Since the class didn't exist prior to this event, I was the "record" holder by default. Boyd made a couple of passes with is N2 Cat, but it wasn't really setup so nothing spectacular there, and he was focused on much bigger stuff, so at this point, that record stands. I did put in a different setup later in the day, which should have put me into the 70's, but a failure of the speed control on the way out to make the attempt burned the inside of the boat up pretty badly. The ESC failure cause was figured out on Monday on the way home, (we had two of these fail this way this weeekend), and it was NOT something that WE did. More on that another time, but I would attempt with that setup again in a heartbeat once the ESC issue is resolved. This record is VERY soft, and should be closer to 80mph, so it's a record, but a pretty soft one. I will likely be going for this one again at future events.

SO, that left me with ONE boat to run... My M2 Hydro (M2 = 1 cell, ANY motor)... In previous SAWs, I've tried this and the best I've been able to achieve was 68mph on one pass. That happened rarely, with 65-66 being the norm. The record is 71.xxx, set by Bill Oxidean, who has only achieved those speeds once himself.

Well, after having about the same luck with my M2 Hydro on Saturday, I decided to make some major changes. Changed ESCs, and started playing with it on Sunday. The new ESC was showing a LOT of promise, so I started playing with props. Changed props and went out in a tad questionable conditions, which for this tiny little rigger means pretty much anything other than pefect glass. Ripped off a 70, 72, and 71mph pass! This was the norm for the passes I made the rest of the day!! I missed the record run by just a few tenths, but I was now consistently in the 70's! On ONE CELL!! Pretty cool stuff (for me, anyhow). As Sunday wained on, I starting the prep work for that ONE final set of passes that would net me the record.

Unfortunately, after an entire weekend of REALLY good water ALL DAY, about 2pm on Sunday afternoon, the conditions INSTANTLY changed! Wind picked up. Mark Grim said that the humidity went from 20% to over 40% in a matter of minutes, and basically, the day was over. Blew right up until sunset.

I did get ONE final set of passes, almost completely void of light! I couldn't even see the boat for the return pass, other than a slight ripple in the water as I tried to line it up for the return pass. Got a 71 backed up with a 69, and it was over. Will have to wait until the next time, but I'm FIRED UP to build a new M2 Hydro boat. What blast to do that on 1-cell! Definitely not an easy feat.

Well... that's part of my story from this event. Much more to tell.

Thanks again to all of those that helped make this event happen! I look very much forward to the next time we get to do this!

Here are a couple of pics of the damage to my stuff.... Hopefully Tyler or Tony or ?? will post some more fun pics of stuff actually running and looking good!

Fluid
11-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Here are a few shots taken over the weekend. I'll have some videos up in a few days.

Darin's Pit

The FE Pits

Manuel (with magic hat) and Marco
Boyd's record run

Count the cells!

Fluid
11-13-2013, 10:19 AM
More.

Gorgeous BIG cat.

Ooops!

Tyler's Pits

Wilmer ready to rock....

Tyler running the timing equipment.
Marco checking his VERY fast Q-powered M1 SuperCat - lots of passes over 100 mph.

Fluid
11-13-2013, 10:32 AM
My Q Sport Hydro had very little tuning prior to leaving for the event....not much flat water in Texas this time of year. The very first two passes of the event gave me the T record running 6S, and I then tried for the Q record. Sadly I had trouble equalling my first two passes (?). Eventually I stuck in 8S and tried for the S record, but silly me put the boat into the island and destroyed it. They call it target fixation...at least I'm in good company. Do not try this at home.

This wasn't the first boat I've lost at Legg Lake, but I was pretty disappointed since the GPS showed 89 mph and I wasn't pulling very many amps when I hit the brush. Next year.....

My Q-S-T Sport boat

Afer the island was finished with it

It would not stay in the garbage can!

Darin Jordan
11-13-2013, 10:38 AM
... but silly me put the boat into the island and destroyed it. They call it target fixation...at least I'm in good company. Do not try this at home.

Apparently, we both found out that this racing line doesn't quite have the results we were looking for...

That said, it was REALLY great getting to know you a bit better this weekend, Jay! You are a true gentleman and an excellent racer! Thanks for all the information and advice this weekend.

BILL OXIDEAN
11-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Fluid, I'm really sorry for what happened to your boat. Yours too Darin for that matter.
Fluid, I was fixated on the boat as well. I was fascinated at how it was running so smooth and stable, and watched it stuff into the jungle.

I was a fan of that whole project, look forward to seeing the sequal. Great seeing you down there as well as Everyone else.

BILL OXIDEAN
11-13-2013, 01:41 PM

Here's a "Glam shot" of you Mr.Fluid and that beauty "THE LA WOMAN" !!

properchopper
11-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Wow ! I'm still playing catch-up to the chores left behind and have many vid's to sort through & upload. Soon ! Those who have attended these events know with knowingness the afterglow coming from renewing and solidifying friendships and the tightening of the bonds that keep SAW devotees hooked on this insanity. Just to hang out and rub elbows with the likes of Jay, Brian, Darin and Wilmer and meet guys like Manuel and Marco (who both came from Europe) is a remarkable gift and graduate-level learning experience. Mark and Kim Grim with Tyler's able assistance kept the flow (and culinary delights) moving seamlessly - much praise to them. The SoCal FE guys, notably Mark F, Boyd, and Brian N. well represented the home turf. Cameo appearances from the SoCal FE bunch included Tim(Tlandauer) who for two days pitted for me, Stephen(Chiefy_44)Jan(UBHauled), TheShaunessy, Naveed, Brad and a nice visit from the HansenDam Violators up north - Adam(blownover) and friend.(probably forgot somebody/sorry).

I picked up the P-Ltd Cat record which was open (and one mph slower than the retired P-Ltd Offshore record I last set). I bumped my P-Ltd Mono record by @ 1mph. Both records with one of Brians "magic props". I was somewhat hampered by having to use year-old packs as my battery budget was pre-empted two days before the race when my car went poof and needed a $763 repair or I'd be walking to the race.

I'll have vids up once I sort & upload.

Some random pix

properchopper
11-13-2013, 02:57 PM

Darin Jordan
11-13-2013, 03:07 PM

That is a fantastic pic, Tony! I love it!!

properchopper
11-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Doug Smock
11-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Well done fellas!!!:buttrock:
:beerchug:Congratulations!!:beerchug:

D. Newland
11-13-2013, 06:08 PM
I kept searching for the gas/nitro records on the other boards...you mean to tell me the records were 100% FE? Man, that's fantastic. Impressive, too. Look at how well the T180 controllers are doing.

Thanks for your contributions, guys, and sorry about the lost equipment. I know it's expected...but it still sucks. The sacrifices you make and the time you take to attain these kinds of speeds is remarkable!

Chilli
11-13-2013, 06:36 PM
I read something about some 109+ mph passes in a gas rigger at Legg. Don't know if it was a record though.

Awesome numbers guys. Congrats to everyone for their efforts. Condolences to those that broke and burnt stuff up. Most SAW video's show the good runs. They don't show the numerous failed attempts and the hours of work that goes into these boats before and during an event. It ain't as easy as it looks folks. But even those that don't meet their goals come away from these events more knowledgeable and determined. In the end, everyone is a winner!

RaceMechaniX
11-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the results Tyler, and the amount of time put into running the program.

Thanks Brian, didn't want to rub it in considering it cost me a lot more lost hardware than you this time.

TG

RaceMechaniX
11-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Well I am finally back to some sense of normal again after another SAW event at Legg lake.

We had excellent weather all three days with good water at least several hours per day in the morning and late afternoon. The wind picked up a little in the middle of the day as usual, but this did not stop the T catamaran guys from running. Kim's lunchtime extravaganza was excellent and it was great to meet some new drivers as well as some returning racers.

It was definitely a Cat showdown with Boyd, Brian Neal, Marko from Berlin and Manuel from Austria showing up with armadas of twin powered cat's.

My performance was a bit lack luster and fell short of my expectations. Finally after several years and five iterations of the FE SAW rigger I was confident I had a set-up to approach and surpass the elusive 140mph mark set by Joerg almost 10 years ago. I built two new boats, one for Q and the other for T both with similar power systems, albeit set for the appropriate battery voltage.

On Friday morning I set-up the Q hydro with a reasonable prop and fresh Dinogy 6S 5Ah battery and started to make a pass. As I hit the ~100mph mark the rudder broke sending the boat in a violent spin and tumble that totaled the boat. The battery mass caused major structural damaged as it ejected from the tub as well as breaking one of the new sponsons Brian was nice enough to build for me. Luckily the motor and ESC as well as the rest of the tub floated and I was able to salvage most of the parts. The impact was so severe it bent the 3/16" aluminum motor mount, bent the strut, stub shaft and fractured the tub at every bulkhead. This was not a good start to the weekend. Here is a pic of the Q hydro before it crashed.

So I pulled all the electronics out and soaked then in WD40 while I prepared the T hydro. Since my new set of slippery sponsons were toast, I used a one of the several pairs I built up from foam core and birch ply. The T system had the advantage of 7k RPM more over the Q system. My goal was to find the right prop on the Q boat and then put that prop on the T hydro and go for it. Well I ended up having to start small with the T hydro and move up. The T hydro showed real promise and initially we were clocking speeds around 120mph. The motor and ESC were not breaking a sweat at all so the next step was bumping up the prop size. Here is when the problems started. With the higher RPM of the T power system I was loosing blades during the acceleration and once a single blade broke the imbalance snapped off the stub shaft right at the strut. I was prepared with 8 additional wire drives with bonded stub shafts, but run after run ended with the prop breaking and snapping or bending the stub shaft. Some shaft failures were strong enough to completely blow out the strut. It was replaced twice over the course of the weekend.

Eventually I ran out of wire drives and had prepared two flex shafts are back-ups. The first flex cable caused a very rare unforeseen failure. With the wire drives the freeplay was set-up to a minimum so the drive dog transferred the thrust to the strut directly, however with the flex cable I had to leave a generous 1/4" gap to allow wind up. On the first pass with the flex cable under acceleration the prop broke and the sudden and near instantaneous removal of torque and thrust caused the flex cable to unwind and literally shotgun the motor with axial force. The force was great enough to split the motor axially from the front end bell to the can. Needless to say this caused some motor damage and I was done with the T hydro. My frustration was knowing the T hydro easily had the potential to go beyond 140mph if a driveline and prop would have stayed in one piece. I made several passes at 133, 134 and a personal best of 135mph. Next time we'll be ready with stainless or CrCo props cable of handing the high RPM and forces.

It was great seeing everyone and meeting Manuel Wenny and Marko from Austria and Germany respectively. They were in attendance with Brian Neal who showed up with a fleet of HPR cats. Here is a pic of Brian and his fleet. The HPR he is holding was the one he set the T catamaran record with.

Here are some other pics of the competitors and their boats:

Brian Buaas and his P Hydro Raptor. Brian had built a beautiful sister boat to this one that was claimed by the lake.

Darin Jordan and his M2 hydro. A sweet running one cell rigger which he managed to coax a 71mph pass out of.

RaceMechaniX
11-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Here is Mr. ProperChopper Tony Heller showing off his P-Ltd entries. Many thanks to Tony for all his efforts to prep for the event and help out. A great FE ambassador.

Mr. Manuel Wenny who had been building boats all week prior to the event here showing his very capable Q catamaran. Manuel would have won the award for most flat spins. He make a dozen 100mph passes with this boat and crashed at least as many times with no damage to the hull or hardware with the exception of several bent rudders and props.

Mr. Dinogy Mark Ferreira with his DF39 T mono. Mark had driveline issues that sidelined him from making good passes.

The Marlboro Man Boyd Marshall and his Q Catamaran I believe. Boyd had a fleet of Marlboro themed cats from N2 up to T with a cat for each class.

Marko from Berlin showing off his AMG HPR T catamaran. This boat was brand new when it arrived state side and over the course of the weekend he consistently improved upon his speeds up to 120mph I believe.

RaceMechaniX
11-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Hollywood Bill Oxidean showing off his N1 or M2 mono. Bill pushes the limits on the smaller N1 and M2 boats.

Tim Smith from MaxAmps came out for the first time and ran a M2 or N1 mono through the lights.

A view of the pits on Sunday afternoon as witching hour approaches. Marko is up on the bench driving his HPR.

Brian Neal with his record setting T catamaran.

Thanks to the Grims and all who contributed to making this a great event. A lot of work goes into preparing for these events and it capped off with bench racing when we all have dinner on Sunday night and brag about how we are going to do better next year and the side bets start. No matter how many boats were lost, props were bent or batteries that were ejected you cannot replace the camaraderie that this groups of racers have.

See you guys in the new year with new boats and much stronger props.

TG

Darin Jordan
11-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Darin Jordan and his M2 hydro. A sweet running one cell rigger which he managed to coax a 71mph pass out of.

Thanks for the pics, Tyler... Slight correction... it was a high 72mph pass, backed up with a low 71... just a tick or so off the record, I believe..., with several 70 and 71's thrown in throughout the afternoon... :thumbup1:

You are absolutely right about the Sunday dinner conversation, however... Alreading prepping to try to achieve the higher sights I've set for the next round!! Can't WAIT!

properchopper
11-13-2013, 11:21 PM
For those waiting for videos, I just sorted out what I had. I chose 38 that are view-worthy from many that didn't get going. They're divided by complete runs and those ending in airborne ballet. It will take days to upload all 38, so hang tight.

I just had to see this right away : Manuel demonstrating his rare and highly elegant European "Whirling Dervish" Horizontal Dismount :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI9iR8d3Wyo

B Neal
11-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Tyler
Awesome write up as usual, pics are awesome.

Can't wait for the next bench race dinner, hoping to order desert this time

My weekend was fantastic after only running two of my six boats prior to the event and only one set of batteries and small props in the circle course area. Then taking the aqua marine boat out on its first run Friday AM and posting a 135+ and a 129+ backup was simply amazing. The other HPR135 that I ran also posted speeds over 130mph, never ran the third 135, will use that one next time for free food :)

Never flip or crashed accelerating or at speed, only time needed to retrieve the boats were due to the slow speed knife edge roll over turn.

All weekend long i never had to replace a single part except a couple rudder blades, matter of fact never lost a bolt nut or washer in the lake or grass.

Never had a weekend like this in 39 years doing this drug habit of mine.

Thanks to MG, KG, BB, and TG for all the work in putting up with all of us.

Got a give Tony a shout out, greatest pit neighbor ever.

Brian Neal

Darin Jordan
11-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Got a give Tony a shout out, greatest pit neighbor ever.

Brian Neal

I have to second Brian's sentiments here. Tony made his way down to our pits regularly. Don't think it would be the same event without him there!

Thanks all you do, Bud!

thomaslambo
11-14-2013, 08:31 AM
This was one of the best events I’ve attended, with great weather conditions, awesome food from “Kim’s Kitchen”, great competitors and some of the fastest FE boats on the planet. The Catamaran fleet was out in force…. between Brian N, myself, and our new European friends we fielded over a dozen Cats in the four NAMBA dual motor classes (at least 8 of them were S and T class boats).

My personal results:
T-Class: This was the 1st event I ran Lehner motors in my HPR 135 and all I can say is they have brutal power. Both myself and Marco (German participant basically running the same setup) hit 125 MPH in our T Cats…. but as noted above Brian won the class with a couple of absolutely perfect passes that yielded 133 MPH. IMO it’s just a matter of time until someone hits 140 MPH plus!!!!

S-Class: This was a brand new build for me with only two test passes prior to the event…. and the boat did not disappoint (although it was the most difficult of all my cats to pilot). After several prop and hardware changes I set a respectable 109.2 MPH record. Looking forward to running this boat again, and my prediction is this Cat will hit 120 MPH plus by the end of the 2014 season.

Q-Class: I converted my tried and proven H & M 37 inch Maritimo Cat to Q class this season. However, I just couldn’t put two solid passes together so I didn’t get any official times (guessing around 105-110 MPH speeds). To add insult to injury, in subsequent runs I lost the Maritimo to a controller fire. However, I was able to salvage the two motors, servo and batteries (yes Dinogy’s hold up to fire as well)!! Rebuilding soon…..

P-Class: In my mind this was one of my best efforts/Cats and one that’s very close to my heart. My goal for the past two years has been to hit over 100 MPH, and this time out I hit the goal. I fielded two P-Cats this time out; my original 1.0 version with Neu motors, and my brand new 2.0 version with Lehner motors. On the first run with my 2.0 Lehner version I hit back to back runs of 99 MPH (bad start), 101 MPH (crocked line) and 104 MPH (much better line) to set the record of 102.8 MPH.

One last comment; I’d like to give a big thanks to Chris at DASBOATA for preparing most of my props to exacting specifications. My T, S, and P Cats all used his props and I highly recommend his services to anyone that’s really serious about going fast. Also, big thanks to Mr. Dinogy Mark Ferreira for his help in the pits and his killer batteries.

Can’t wait for the next event :rockon2:

Ralf
11-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Congrats everybody.
Nice to read your stories also, fills the event with live for the people who were not able to join or visit :)

properchopper
11-14-2013, 07:06 PM
This will take some time. Please hold on as I upload them onto my YouTube channel (properchopper1) for linking/posting in this thread. I'll do my best to include the better ones starting with complete runs, followed later on by the aerobatic ones. Also I'll do my best to identify the run by class and competitor but can't guarantee accuracy (sorry). For any viewer not familiar with this form of barely controlled insanity know that for every full run/record run there likely were many, many that didn't end pretty. Any questions about the runs/rigs/times can best be answered by the individual competitor. Basic setup information is in the record post #53 {posted above by Tyler}. (Also on some you may hear speeds called out by the timing station)

Here We Go :

Brian B. P-Hydro -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCuXzRCy87o

Darin J N-2 Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOv5HKkLjQ

Jay T Q Sport Hydro (at the bewitching hour)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M2-tlHu2mg

Tyler G S-Hydro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fox99NAthIY&feature=youtu.be

Marko T-Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgKnv5hVzh0&feature=youtu.be

Manuel W Q Cat - multiple passes and sticks the landing (incorrectly identified in vid as Q Hydro-oops)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUe8CZOD8p4&feature=youtu.be

Tony H P-Ltd Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4CDKEKzwdE&feature=youtu.be

Boyd M T-Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2OMLZjyQE&feature=youtu.be

Brian N T Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbx_qe0Le50

More coming soon :Peace_Sign:

Darin Jordan
11-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Tony,

That little Video cam of yours takes some decent quality video! Nicely done!! Thank you for taking the time to upload and post these!!

properchopper
11-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Tony,

That little Video cam of yours takes some decent quality video! Nicely done!! Thank you for taking the time to upload and post these!!

Thanks D !

As you know, at the race, lots of time is individually spent in our own little "bubble" focusing on our equipment so getting the "money shots" is hit or miss.

RaceMechaniX
11-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks a bunch for posting Tony. By chance did you catch any of my runs with the T hydro at 130+?

TG

properchopper
11-15-2013, 02:37 PM
It wouldn't be fair to simply display the complete runs like in post #80 . A full reporting of what SAWS are really all about needs to show what leads up to a successful run. At the risk of ruffling the feathers of those who use the term SAW to describe their gofaster sport rigs, (with humble apologies) , I'm going to "soapbox" for a minute and offer that an actual SAW competition boat begins it's odyssey immediately after the exhaustion wears off from the LAST race. What follows is months of performing the ancient Oriental Ritual of Too-Ning. Then the TRAVEL. Darin from Washington State. Brian from Oregon. Jay from Texas. Tyler from way up the California Coast. Marko from Germany and Manuel from Austria. Days before the event the locals prep the course. Before sunup on race day the crew sets up the course installing the lights and timing table. Kim comes and sets up the gourmet kitchen. The competitors arrive, unload, set up their pits(grunt). Timing begins. Then the frustrating mid day wait until the wind/waves subside. BORING. Then more racing until the bewitching hour at dark. Then tear it all down(GRUNT), load up(OUCH), go home & collapse in bed (I have a 70 mile round trip). Then the SAME for two more days. Equipment failures, toasted electronics, boats lost to Davy Jones, finding the center island at full chat and destroying good boats, and oh the blowovers ! A true SAW devotee is certifiably crazy but we keep coming back. I do primarily for the camaraderie and cooking.:hug1:

Here's some runs that demonstrate what normally preceeds a successful two-way pass. I'd guess that there's maybe a half-dozen of these for every good run - enjoy :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtHAHz-8eq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSvZZnJbt-E&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gG0yXv7Aw4&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF_GSNgS4kc&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI9iR8d3Wyo

From a previous SAW, but one of the "best" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nkk_AWdfI

Darin Jordan
11-15-2013, 02:43 PM
It wouldn't be fair to simply display the complete runs like in post #80 . A full reporting of what SAWS are really all about needs to show what leads up to a successful run. At the risk of ruffling the feathers of those who use the term SAW to describe their gofaster sport rigs, (with humble apologies) , I'm going to "soapbox" for a minute and offer that an actual SAW competition boat begins it's odyssey immediately after the exhaustion wears off from the LAST race. What follows is months of performing the ancient Oriental Ritual of Too-Ning. Then the TRAVEL. Darin from Washington State. Brian from Oregon. Jay from Texas. Tyler from way up the California Coast. Marko from Germany and Manuel from Austria. Days before the event the locals prep the course. Race day, before sunup the crew sets up the course installing the lights and timing table. Kim comes and sets up the gourmet kitchen. The competitors arrive, unload, set up their pits. Timing begins. Then the frustrating mid day wait until the wind/waves subside. BORING. Then more racing until the bewitching hour at dark. Then tear it all down, load up, go home & collapse in bed (I have a 70 mile round trip). Then the SAME for two more days. Equipment failures, toasted electronics, boats lost to Davy Jones, finding the center island at full chat and destroying good boats, and oh the blowovers ! A true SAW devotee is certifiably crazy but we keep coming back. I do primarily for the camaraderie and cooking.:hug1:

Here's some runs that demonstrate what normally leads up to a successful two-way pass. I'd guess that there's maybe a half-dozen of these for every good run - enjoy :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl5ebHR6wR4

Where is the "LIKE" button??

Brian and I were making plans for the next event on the way home from the lake on Sunday, all the way to Tyler's hours on Monday morning, and then for most of the trip back to Hillsboro, OR Monday afternoon/evening... when one of us wasn't sleeping for a spell.

I have already ordered 2 new ESCs... a new hull... am on the search for another... have drawings started for another... and have replacements on the way for the 2 ESCs that I "damaged" during the weekend. Lynx is on the workbench, new Lawless lower unit ordered, and have started going thru my garage to clear out some parts I'm not using to make room for the new stuff....

Has it even been a week yet?? :beerchug:

Tony, that was very well stated, as usual. You have a gift my good friend. As I said before, the SAWs and Tony go together... Thank you!

Fluid
11-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Here are some more of the "Crashes" Tony alludes to. I certainly did not get them all. The video quality is not very good for some reason - I'll re-post on YouTube this evening.

http://tinypic.com/r/sgofiv/5

Fluid
11-15-2013, 03:08 PM
By chance did you catch any of my runs with the T hydro at 130+?

Sure, here's one. I'll repost later if the quality suffers.

http://tinypic.com/r/ra155s/5

properchopper
11-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Here are some more of the "Crashes" Tony alludes to. I certainly did not get them all. The video quality is not very good for some reason - I'll re-post on YouTube this evening.

http://tinypic.com/r/sgofiv/5

Great job Jay :thumbup1: Love the rainbows !

thomaslambo
11-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Well, you guys got a couple of my crashes as usual :smile:

Tony, you're so right about all the work and effort that goes into both boat and course preparation prior to an event. I spent at least 200 hours on my Cats leading up to this event. Then you take your results from the event, stir the magic cauldron and begin testing all over again (prop changes, H/W tweaks, motor changes, hull changes etc, etc, etc). It's an iterative process that never ends...always chasing that elusive record breaking run.

Thanks for all the great videos and pictures guys :thumbup:

D. Newland
11-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Great vids, and Jay nice edit job on the bloopers. It really does fill in the story. Many of those crashes resulted in damage, I'm sure. Throw in the not-so-obvious-to-the-occasional-viewer shaft failures and lost props that Tyler mentioned, and the brain starts to count off C-Notes and tuning hours lost. At least mine does.

RaceMechaniX
11-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks Jay, now I have evidence it went fast with a prop on the back.

TG

Ub Hauled
11-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Great Job guys!
It was definitely good seeing some of the old faces again and the new ones (Zeh Germans in da hauz)... I had a great 2 hours enjoying the company and seeing some REALLY REALLY fast boats. hopefully I will be able to actually race with y'all next time around...
Again, congrats to all the participants.

thomaslambo
11-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Great vids, and Jay nice edit job on the bloopers. It really does fill in the story. Many of those crashes resulted in damage, I'm sure. Throw in the not-so-obvious-to-the-occasional-viewer shaft failures and lost props that Tyler mentioned, and the brain starts to count off C-Notes and tuning hours lost. At least mine does.
Dave,

So true, and I lost several drives, props, etc myself (costly to be sure....but the price you pay in SAW racing).
Thanks for all your dedication to FE racing...much appreciated :smile:

Fluid
11-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Here is a better quality Crash and Burn video - be sure to click on the HD button in the lower right.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=697450810273839&oid=448732121813569&saved

Fluid
11-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Here is higher quality video of Tyler's 133+ mph rigger. Again, click on the HD button to get the high quality version.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=697458720273048&oid=448732121813569&saved

Darin Jordan
11-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Wow... I forgot just how cool that was to see. I can't WAIT until next March!! (April?)...

tlandauer
11-16-2013, 03:59 AM
I have been very fortunate to witness so many people whom I have admired in these two days ( I could only be there for two days).
One thing I have learned is the can-do spirit and the patience all these great racers have, and the positive attitude they show when something goes wrong. It may be a hobby, but when you are on this level, character counts!
It is the highlight of my life and as Tony's newbie pit man, I have the exclusive use for "the chair" under Tony's clinic. 107993 :buttrock:

properchopper
11-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Tim,

You were a great pit man ! Who else would wade in fully dressed to clear my prop :beerchug:

thomaslambo
11-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Hey Tony,

Thanks for all your moral support, videos and awesome prose as usual.

Here's a French Vanilla Cruller for your trouble :lol:

properchopper
11-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Hey Tony,

Thanks for all your moral support, videos and awesome prose as usual.

Here's a French Vanilla Cruller for your trouble :lol:

I just drooled all over my keyboard !

RaceMechaniX
11-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks Jay for posting the HD version.

TG

leo_home
11-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Hello All,

Congratulation to all participants especially to those who made new records. I made Tony the JetChopper30.

Happy rc boating,

Leo

ManuelW
11-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Hello Guys,

I also want to say thanks for an awesome NAMBA SAW Event '13. Its been a long way for me and Marko from Europe but it was a great weekend at the lake and to meet many of you at the lake (Tyler Garrard, Mark & Kim Grim, Brian N., Brian B., Tony, Fluid, Mr. Oxidean, Boyd, "Mr. Dynogy", Darin J. and many more, please dont be offended if I forgot someone to mention!). The weather was great, so was the organization and the lake.
The two weeks before the event have been extremly busy, my boat had only one day of testing with its new setup at my home lake and Marko even had his maiden run directly at the SAW (except a flotation test in Brians pool so its been in the water but I wouldnt call it a maiden run). So especially for me it was quite a successful weekend, it might could have been faster and the setup showed to have extreme potential but I'm already very happy with the result and the speed. Only damage over the weekend was just a single ABC prop which almost disintegrated. The several bent rudderblades that Tyler mentioned were in fact only one blade which I had to bend out a couple of times. So this might also answer the question why the boat on some runs steered a little either to left or right. Next time I come I might bring some spares with me....:olleyes:

So thanks for the hospitality and the great event, keep the pictures and videos coming! Seems as I could entertain you with some stunts, maybe I can show you the
highly elegant European "Whirling Dervish" Horizontal Dismount next time on purpose on a regular basis.

It was an exceptional event, if anyhow possible I want to come again someday!

regards,
Manuel :thumbup1:

PS: Special thanks goes to B.Neal for the invitation, the shuttle service, sharing equipment, Del Taco Crappo Egg burritos for breakfast and lots of other things....

thomaslambo
11-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Manuel,
Great to meet you in person and talk FE shop face to face. Your Q-Cat was amazing and I'm sure you'll be back with greater speeds...smoking :flammes-09:

Hope you guys can join us more often to keep raising the FE bar :smile:

Boyd

urbs00007
11-20-2013, 12:19 AM
tyler, questions if you dont mind . what props are breaking on you? or at least what diameter ? are they too hard? how many rpm's are you turning and what drive system is faster, wire or cable in a T rigger? thanks

urbs00007
11-20-2013, 12:22 AM
tyler, questions if you dont mind . what props are breaking on you? or at least what diameter ? are they too hard? how many rpm's are you turning and what drive system is faster, wire or cable in a S or T rigger? thanks

RaceMechaniX
11-20-2013, 08:02 AM
I was breaking Octura and ABC props. They were all hardened to what we thought were good levels of compromise between stiffness and ductility. Props ranged from 42mm to 50mm. The wire drive has more advantages for my setup, but I ran several fast passes with a flex cable as well. It all comes down to how you set it up. The RPM was very high, I will just leave it at that.

Tyler

urbs00007
11-20-2013, 11:55 AM
when you run neu 1527 at high rpm in rigger saw do you need 8mm shaft or will the 5mm suffice?

RaceMechaniX
11-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Definitely 8mm on the 1527 at high speeds.

RandyatBBY
11-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Neu will install 8MM shaft and bearings for $85.00

dasboata
11-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Congragulations to the guys that set records !! you all look like you had some fun, and thanks for posting all the great pics AND VIDS thanks for the mention Boyd, ,,,,,,,,,, Chris