PDA

View Full Version : External lipo balancer ?

Andris Golts
06-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Hi all i was given an Astro blinky balancer has no instructions. Would plugging in the blinky on a lipo pack for several days have any benefits over just having it plugged the lipo for recharging? Regards Andris Golts.

JimClark
06-19-2013, 12:30 AM
it will only take the battery to certain voltages

tlandauer
06-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Hi all i was given an Astro blinky balancer has no instructions. Would plugging in the blinky on a lipo pack for several days have any benefits over just having it plugged the lipo for recharging? Regards Andris Golts.
For me I use this trick only if the balancer on my charger does not balance to acceptable threshold for some reason, ( when this happens it will not charge correctly, on my chargers) usually it is an indication that the battery is going down south.

J.W. Pepper
06-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Long before I had LiPo's I bought an Onyx 230 charger, supports LiPo's, but no balancing.

When I migrated to LiPo's I bought a couple of these guys... http://www.electrifly.com/miscproducts/gpmm3210.html

Plug the balance tap into the CellMatch, the discharge lead into the charger and start charging. Please Note: I leave the CM plugged in during the entire charge process because it handles the balancing duties while the charger is doing the charging.

The CM's can also be used stand alone for balancing packs, but takes awhile. Last week I used them with home made dischargers (automotive light bulbs wired to your favorite battery connector) to reduce 2 of my LiPo packs voltage to storage level. They kept the packs balanced & gave me a voltage reading at the same time, at 3.7v/cell I disconnected everything and boxed up the batts.

Note: Hitec markets a product that looks almost identical to the CM's, but they don't work the same, keep going to sleep. I took mine back to LHS and told them to replace it with a CellMatch.

MarkF
07-01-2013, 05:35 PM
I sell a 3 in 1 lipo checker. It gives a view of all of the cell voltages at once, has a cell ballancer function that ballances the entire pack and it has a discharge function as well. It sells for $30. and yes I am all out right now. I don't have them on the site but you can email me if your interested. I should have more in a few weeks.

Mark