PDA

View Full Version : making mold from plastic? for boat part

Zackthrills
06-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Hey everyone I was wondering as I am New to ask the body world, how can I make a mold from a plastic part them use that mold to make a carbon fiber part? Doing the carbon fiber I understand to some degree , I am just lost when it comes to making a mold of something that it will be hard so not to flex or lose shape of original plastic part? Then I will try to duplicate it from the mold using carbon fiber or a mixture of carbon fiber and kevlar weave. Any help and help on where to get products to make mold would be great thank you so much everyone.

grsboats
06-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Could you please post a pic of this part?Depending on its shape it can be a hard task as plastic parts are released from molds in different ways. Gill

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Ok this is what I'm doing. I am going to take a current hull that I have with capsule and I want to copy the shape and then use the reverse side to make another hull out of either carbon fiber or a two part of Kevlar and Carbon fiber weave. Max length of the hull is 56". I also thought about making a 2 peice carbon fiber or both Kevlar n carbon fiber weave rigger either 26" or bigger not sure yet. What do you think Gsr?

grsboats
06-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Before anything I would go to http://www.acpsales.com/home.html and see what you can do with cf or c.f/kvlar. 56" boat means a big set of molds so I would start with small pieces before go up that lenght. 26" is a good size boat to learn the tips and tricks of the molding world.Gill

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Yes that's true. Your right start asks then if I me up its not so bad. Do you know of any good reads on doing kind of what I'm looking to do? That would be great. Thanks so much.

grsboats
06-10-2013, 12:58 PM
This is a good start point.check this out: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Fiberglass-Molding Gill

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Ya that is a good start I Find where v to ny ask materials and will start with maybe the hatch first

lonewolf
06-10-2013, 02:43 PM
There is a lot that goes into making molds and plugs. Then there is vacume bagging which adds another level of quality..I would definitely do a lot of research. And try a few smaller projects.....something the size of 56 inches is pretty big. With that size warpage can become an issue.......depending on what you are trying to make a mold from. There are many ways to accomplish this. I have used bon do a few times but bon do can get pretty hot and warp ur plastic part. You will also need mold release....another issue is part removal...think of forming over a mushroom. Once cooled you cannot remove over the head of mushroom. So undercuts can be a problem....I'll chime in more as youprogress . There are many good threads at this site the guys have put many hours into...there are also many links here also. You tube is another great place to get info. Good luck!!!!

grsboats
06-10-2013, 05:41 PM
this pic shows the set of molds of my big block C.F rigger. solid molds made of epoxy for high production. Gill

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 05:42 PM
See that's what I want that's exactly what I want to do?

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 05:43 PM
How many have you made from it and what kind of cost are we talking about to make inner boat or rigger?

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Are you injection modeling with plastic? Or what are you using to make them out of?

grsboats
06-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Not sure but some dozens were relesead from these molds....all hand laid up. I can also use vacum bagging depending on the desired strenght and thickness.This a costly process ...don't remember how much I spent with them but maybe 3K with products now a days.Believe me start playing with tiny parts like cowls to experience your own limitations .I've been working with all sort of molds for 30 years and still learning! You can see similar molds on my thread GRX saw rigger here .Gill

grsboats
06-10-2013, 06:08 PM
RTM (resin transfer molding) use similar molds with an injection pump but I don't think they are Worth the extra Money involved to produce our hulls.Gill

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 06:09 PM
That's awesome... I want to make a bad a$$ tiger

grsboats
06-10-2013, 06:12 PM
43" rigger all c.f cost is U$ 750.

Heaving Earth
06-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Yeah he ain't gonna do this anyways....

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Do you make any for electrics

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 06:15 PM
I just want to learn about it that's all going to try making little things

grsboats
06-10-2013, 06:16 PM
link to the electric rigger http://www.grsboats.com.br/?p=6707

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Thankd

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Wow that looks great. Maybe one day I'll get to that level. Nice job very nice

grsboats
06-10-2013, 06:41 PM
with your enthusiam you will.Thanks Gill

Zackthrills
06-10-2013, 06:54 PM
I talked to a guy that seeks the liquid rubber to make molds and they have a starter kit so I might order it and try making a few pieces first them go big if all goes well and build to bigger I'm time. Would love to make my own boats or rigger. I can cav them out of foam now and thenwith my way up. Might hit you up more and then for some teachings of that's ok with you thanks

grsboats
06-10-2013, 08:06 PM
You're welcome feel free to get in touch whenever you want .Cheers Gill