PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my boo-boo

SpeedCat29
06-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I was running my MG this past weekend and had a little incident. I was about 200 yards offshore wide open in what looked like clean water. All of a sudden I heard a loud "thump" and the boat zig zagged in the water but was still going. I brought her in slow and to my dismay the top portion of the transom where the rudder bracket bolts onto the hull was cracked and pushed in. I had hit something underwater and unfortunately did not have any breakaway bolts on yet. I was pissed at myself and wondered what I should do....buy new hull? No. Fix this one? Hell yes! So I rummaged in my shop and came up with some thin scraps of aluminum sheet appx. 1 mm thick. I don't even know where I got it from in the first place, but decided it would work. So I measured and cut a piece that would fit the raised portion of the transom and then worked it to bend over the top of the hull. Filled in the cracked spots with some epoxy and voila! I have a sweet looking rudder mount that actually strengthens the rear of the boat. Just waiting on breakaway bolts and new steering boot. :thumbup:

macace123
06-04-2013, 01:39 PM
nice looks good i might have to do this on the BJ29

SloHD
06-04-2013, 01:40 PM
I like it, looks sick man!

mhaseck
06-04-2013, 05:45 PM
does look really good, nice fabrication work! What prop are you running on your miss gieco?

srislash
06-04-2013, 09:30 PM
That is exactly what started all my FG playing. There isn't much in that transom area. I hit a stick in the water and ripped it all off. My repair is on here somewhere but yours looks great and skips the need for paint. Good job sir.

SpeedCat29
06-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys....I am still new to these boats so that first time "carnage" hurt a bit lol. But that's all part of this hobby I suppose. I'm sure it won't be long before I break something else.

ozzie-crawl
06-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Looking good.
Just a small observation as it mite be a different drive or just there for the pic but it looks like your drive dog/washer is up against the strut were as it should have a gap.

tlandauer
06-05-2013, 03:13 AM
Looking good.
Just a small observation as it mite be a different drive or just there for the pic but it looks like your drive dog/washer is up against the strut were as it should have a gap.
First of all, your repair looks awesome, love that aluminum look.
He is right, your drive dog /washer should have a gap between the strut, the length of the gap is the diameter of your flex cable. Forgive me if you already know and this is not how your set up is but just a photo thing.

SpeedCat29
06-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I just pulled everything up as tight as possible so the epoxy would squish nice and flat and cure that way. She'll be properly adjusted once it's cured for a few days. :thumbup1:

SloHD
06-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I just pulled everything up as tight as possible so the epoxy would squish nice and flat and cure that way. She'll be properly adjusted once it's cured for a few days. :thumbup1:

Huh? Lol... They're not talking about your fix. They're talking about the spacing between the drive dog and the strut. Back the flex cable out of your collet a few mm so you have some spacing in between your strut and drive dog.

SpeedCat29
06-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Yes, and I purposely pulled the shaft up tight to make sure the strut was/stayed in contact with the stuffing tube (or whatever that's called) until the epoxy cured.