PDA

View Full Version : Impulse 31 help!! Any info will be much appreciated

Nateski_USMC
05-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Hi I have a impulse v2
Upgraded shaft(ose)
Sharpened and balanced m445 prop
Dual rudder kit(esc has its own water pick up and outlet as does motor)

I run two 3cell 6000mah batts(never gets above warm)

I want to upgrade my motor to the leopard 4074 2000kv vs stock 1800kv(which is just a little longer than stock)

My question is
will it fit the stock motor mount(both are 540 cans)
And how much of a power/speed difference will I see
And my esc should handle the amperage drawn if I'm correct?

Thank you for reading and any advice would be helpful even if its not about my question.

iop65
05-31-2013, 05:27 AM
a question :
wich upgade shaft have you bougth?

the thicker one where you have to remove the teflon liner and use a collet style coupler?
or just the beter quality one ?( does this one has a flat spot for the grub screw or is it round for a collet style coupler?)

a 4074 2000 kv on 6s with that prop would be a fast improvment for speed,but i believe it is going to be to much for it's only a 30inch boat (minus the overhang), and i don't believe the stock esc is up to that also

i have a 3674 1700 kv on 5s on the way , like to achieve 75-80 km/u (47-50mph) , enough for me , if i would like to go faster i'would buy a bigger boat (don't like to recover instead of driving my boats)

BHChieftain
05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
6S on a 2000kv motor is too much. I even think 6S on an 1800kv motor is too many RPMs...

A good rule of thumb is to target 25-35K on the RPM side. 6S on 2000Kv would be over 44K.

Really high RPMs are usually reserved for SAW configs, and everything in the driveline needs to be perfectly balanced and very strong. 44K in an RTR boat like the Impluse will result in a very short lifespan.

Stock ESC definitely won't handle it, but even if you upgrade that, high rpm vibes will wear out the strut bushing and motor bearings.

If you want to run 6S, I would advise a 1500KV motor (like the one that comes with the Miss Geico), an upgraded ESC, and then adjust the prop for the best handling/speed combination.

Somebody a long time ago posted a really awesome chart that mapped out battery config/kv combinations-- I can't find the file...

Chief

petej
06-23-2013, 04:16 PM
I bought my Impulse, V1 when it first came out nearly two years ago.

My setup:
- Gutted interior, reinforced with additional layer of fiberglass
- Leopard 4074, 1800kv
- Seaking 120A ESC
- Flexshaft from Kintec. I don't use teflon, stuffing box liners.
- Octura x645, balanced, sharpened
- (2) 5S, 30C 4000mAh Zippy LiPo batteries in parallel (<= 60C)
- Stock running gear. Traxxis 2075 water-proof hi-torque servo.

GPS speed: 58MPH

I've been running this boat (setup) 2-3 times, every week for a year.

gtrcguru
06-24-2013, 01:22 PM
I also run a well used V1.
I am running
CC2650
CC MMM w/ custom cooling tubes (timing around 50%)
Upgraded OSE shaft
CNC 45mm
Max Amps 120c 6500 x 2

It's good for 60+ mph but anything above 62 mph(that's what the gps said before it took flight) and it will get air born.
I've blown over numerous times and it keeps coming back for more!!

J.W. Pepper
06-28-2013, 10:10 PM
6S on a 2000kv motor is too much. I even think 6S on an 1800kv motor is too many RPMs...

A good rule of thumb is to target 25-35K on the RPM side. 6S on 2000Kv would be over 44K.

Really high RPMs are usually reserved for SAW configs, and everything in the driveline needs to be perfectly balanced and very strong. 44K in an RTR boat like the Impluse will result in a very short lifespan.

Stock ESC definitely won't handle it, but even if you upgrade that, high rpm vibes will wear out the strut bushing and motor bearings.

If you want to run 6S, I would advise a 1500KV motor (like the one that comes with the Miss Geico), an upgraded ESC, and then adjust the prop for the best handling/speed combination.

Somebody a long time ago posted a really awesome chart that mapped out battery config/kv combinations-- I can't find the file...

Chief

...Somebody a long time ago posted a really awesome chart that mapped out battery config/kv combinations...

Chief,
I think I have the chart your looking for, it's in adobe acrobat PDF format, attached it to this post. Please let me know if that's the one your looking for.

Thanks
JW