PDA

View Full Version : fullers offshore cat hardware fitting help needed so i can go float my boat tomorrow

MAXAMUS
07-05-2008, 02:10 PM
hi

when fitting fullers offshore cat hardware and .150 flexi drive and liner to the BJ26

CAN YOU ?

use the plastic tube liner that came with the stock or must you use the one that came with the new flexi drive????

what is the correct length for the flexi drive ? and how if need do you cut it and with what ??
:confused2: :confused2:

Mich. Maniac
07-06-2008, 03:38 PM
can be cut with dremel cut off tool and is the safest way. Other ways have been done such as side cutters but you could kink of flatten cable. Find a bud with dremel if you can. I DO believe someone said you can use .150 cable in stock tube but prolly not with teflon. HTH

PropNutt43
07-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Maxamus,

The stock flex shaft is .150 just like the new one and you will need to use the new Teflon liner because the stock one will be too short. So first you need remove the old Teflon liner from the stuffing tube. You may need to break it loose if there is paint holding it in. Remove the stock drive hardware then mount the Fullers hardware on the back of the boat. Use the top two mounting holes from the stock drive and drill two new ones for the bottom holes. Make sure to plug the two bottom holes from the stock hardware with epoxy or something so you don’t get any leaks.

Next loosen the strut bolts and line the strut height up with the stuffing box tube. The best way to do this is to remove the turn fins and sit the boat flat on a table and let the strut sit flat on the table then tighten it back up. I must warn you that the turn fins are not easy to get off so if you don't want to deal with it just eyeball it or use a strait edge ruler.

once the strut is lined up remove the motor mount bolts and slide the motor out of the way. Slide the new Teflon liner through the stuffing tube from the motor end. Make sure it goes all the way through and into the strut till it bottoms out. If it won't slide through you may need to clean the paint out of the stuffing tube at the strut end. You can use a small hobby file or some rolled up sand paper to do this. Make sure to clean it out when you are done. Now cut the Teflon tube about a 1/4 inch longer than the brass stuffing tube on the motor end.

Once you have that fit slide the prop shaft in thru the strut. Lay the motor and mount to the side of the mounting holes to check the length of prop shaft. Mark the shaft a little longer than it needs to be to fit all the way into the coupler. Mine came out to be 10 and 3/8 inches long from where the prop shaft hits the strut to the end of the shaft at the motor. Overall length is almost 11 and 1/2 inches.

To cut the prop shaft I used my dremel with a cut off wheel. After cutting it off use sandpaper or a file to debur it. Next bolt the motor back on and trial fit everything to make sure the length is right. If it is still to long trim it down till it fits right. Now take it back out and heat the motor end of the flex shaft and apply some solder to keep it from fraying. You will need at least a 60 watt solder iron to do this.

Sand soldered end smooth with sand paper and check fit in coupler. It should slide in and out without binding when coupler is loose. If it binds sand it down a little more till it slips in and out with little effort. Lube the shaft and put everything back together. You will also need to make a longer steering rod for the servo to rudder then you are done.

For the first run keep the bottom of the strut level and flat with the bottom of the hull. From there you will need to play with the strut height and prop angle to get the boat dialed in.

MAXAMUS
07-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi Guy's

well all done apart for a few tweaks here and there but now iam looking for some valued input please take a look at my pics and let me know if there is anything that looks wrong or in need of a fine tune also i have a few questions

1. how should the prop feel when rotating it ? its all connected up mine feels like it has what i can only describe as a compression stroke kinda feel is this normal

2. i'am not 100% happy with the liner at the prop end not looking as clean as it should i don't think input please !! although i now have a sure great way of fitting the liner into the stuffing tube

4. now this one is playing on my mind the rudder is slightly bent (see pic) is this normal due to the water pick up or have i been sent a duff one ? my feelings are Ive been sent a duff one ????

5.anything else i should do before i maiden ??

since this post i have re positioned the flexi shaft so there isn't so much of an angle it is now inline and stright to the prop

and a special thanks to propnutt for all your help thanks buddy!!

MAXAMUS
07-07-2008, 11:01 AM
what settings are you useing on programming card with stock motor and esc, with lipo's

hex-dj
07-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Maxamus I think your strut is very far away from the hull and usualy cats. or Hydros have it close ,not to say very close to the hull.Unless you have moved all of your boats center of gravity touching the BJ 26s inside hull rear. It is easy to see that it will never run too wet the way you have it.

MAXAMUS
07-07-2008, 02:53 PM
i'am just back from the maiden at the pond

WOW !! nice boat and moves real well but as a newbie i wouldn't know any different hope to get some video posted soon so you guys can let me know what you think about its position in the water etc

when i took it out there its ass was quite well down in the water but when i opened it up it sat up nicely, iam going to buy a foretrex 101 GPS for speed information but at a very rough guess there i would say it was top end 30's maybe pushing 40 but that's only a guess

need to trim out a little better i think and after the run there was only droplets inside on the mount just where the motor sits nothing to worry about there my 2 blind pilots were bone dry no water getting in there the only thing i did notice was a little i think steam or smoke when the hatch was removed and the motor was quite hot would this be because its a new motor burning for the first time ?? i have a infrared temp probe i will get some temp readings next run but apart from that i am well impressed ................

MAXAMUS

PropNutt43
07-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Guy's

well all done apart for a few tweaks here and there but now iam looking for some valued input please take a look at my pics and let me know if there is anything that looks wrong or in need of a fine tune also i have a few questions

1. how should the prop feel when rotating it ? its all connected up mine feels like it has what i can only describe as a compression stroke kinda feel is this normal

2. i'am not 100% happy with the liner at the prop end not looking as clean as it should i don't think input please !! although i now have a sure great way of fitting the liner into the stuffing tube

4. now this one is playing on my mind the rudder is slightly bent (see pic) is this normal due to the water pick up or have i been sent a duff one ? my feelings are Ive been sent a duff one ????

5.anything else i should do before i maiden ??

since this post i have re positioned the flexi shaft so there isn't so much of an angle it is now inline and stright to the prop

and a special thanks to propnutt for all your help thanks buddy!!

From your pictures I can see a few things that need to be changed. The hardware is mounted upside down. The curve at the back is to allow more adjustability for prop height and angle. Here's a picture of how it should look.

Also it looks like you need to go up a little more with the strut. If it is too low you may be running to wet which can make the motor over heat and slow the boat down and cause it to handle sluggishly.

About the prop turning like it has compression, that is just the magnets in the motor. Check it with the motor disconnected from the prop shaft. There should be no binding and very little friction. If it is binding you will over heat the motor and ecs.

One last thing, next time you run it make sure there is a good stream of water exiting the side water outlet hole. I had problems getting enough water to flow thru mine that is why you can see the new water pickup in the picture. It works much better than the one in the rudder and can be easily made with some brass tube, brass strip and solder.

MAXAMUS
07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
:biggrin: propnutt

thanks for the info just the kind of stuff i was indeed looking for thanks

OK so i have now re mounted the hardware DOH !!:huh: although looking at your pic your flexi tube it is still well in line/straight with your strut mine now has a slight up turn to the flexi tube to the strut :confused2:

i think the next task will be to angle the fins and shorten them and when the boat is in the water what should be its resting position slight nose up , flat , or slight ass down ??

any comments on the rudder pic ? is it bent ?? turning seems to be more like a super tanker than a small RC boat dual rates are on 100% linkage in end hole on both will the fin mod help ?

sorry about all these questions guy's but its been a very steep learning curve over the past few weeks but iam loving it so far

DMouse
07-09-2008, 04:25 AM
PropNutt modded his stuffing tube location. Its up higher. See this thread http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=3044 post #12

Can you take a better pic of the rudder? I can't see what you mean by bent.

johnnyoverkill
07-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Paul,

I'm not sure if you are running exactly as seen in your pictures but, your drive dog is up tight against the strut. that will cause binding and excessive heat. You need to keep enough gap to allow for the flex to tighten up w/o binding. JMO

John

MAXAMUS
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
guys thanks for the comments great

so i have now posted more pics you should get a better pic of the rudder now also have moved the strut up to its highest position and as you can see there is some upward angle on the flexi tube now what effect will this have and where would you suggest the height of the strut ?? any thoughts on the maneuverability on maiden it turned more like a super tanker since then i have not been back to the pond still making adjustments

NB i have now moved the dog nut away about 1mm from thre strut
thanks for the advice ...:smile:

DMouse
07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
The rudder does look a little bent at the 1-3/4" mark on your ruler. Check by putting the end of ruler below the thick part of the rudder at about the 2-3/4" mark in your pic. It should be flush all the way down.

There's too much of a bend in flex cable. I would try to run it more inline with the stuffing tube (need to lower the strut) The way it is there'll be too much binding. To help keep out water shrink some shrink tubing over the exposed liner area extending onto the the brass cone and the stuffing tube.