PDA

View Full Version : Hifei cap bank for saw set up.

grsboats
05-24-2013, 12:32 PM
I need an extra capbank for my Castle Ice 240 so I'm wondering if I can use the high capacity hifei 5 cap bank (63v) or better stick to the Castle 4 cap bank(35v) .Thanks Gill

m4a1usr
05-24-2013, 01:48 PM
When it comes to extra capacitors in set ups like ours, all things being equal, the most significant consideration is total capacitance not on amount of capacitors, but on total surface area of those combined capacitors. I.E. you can have 10 small cap's Vs 5 large cap's on 2 different boards. And if the 5 larger cap's have a greater volume (indicating larger plate area) than reactance would be less then the 10 cap board. Ultra low ESR caps are assumed on each board.

All that being said, the cap board with the higher voltage rating cap's is important as well. Since larger than input battery voltage spikes have been shown to occur in our setups it is better to assume the worse. Not sure if all that makes sense but in essence, go with the board with the larger amount of capacitance (with less qty of cap's) and the highest voltage rating. Just my 2 cents in a recession economy.

John

grsboats
05-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks John for your input...would be great experts share your thoughts on this topic.Gill