PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a MG 29

kwiktsi
05-23-2013, 09:24 AM
I just bought a MG 29 to add to the fleet and have to say that overall, I am very impressed for an RTR. My other boats are certainly faster, but coming from someone who's last RTR was a CEN Aquajet- these things have come a long way lol.

I did have a question about the throttle though- I have to pull the trigger a good 1/4 travel before it engages the motor. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a way to calibrate the throttle on this ESC?

Also, when programming my ESC, I noticed this (see pic) and got an LOL out of it (now the RTR quality is starting to show). I mean, really- even I own the crimpers and proper terminals to repair RX connectors properly, you'd think the manufacturer would as well..

Overall though, I am happy with it. Going to need some tweaking, but that's part of the fun. I really only got this because I bought my 5 year old the 17" last week and he wanted me to get the "big Miss Geico" to run with him, how could I say no to a new toy :w00t:???

BHChieftain
05-23-2013, 09:54 AM
When you power on the boat, have your throttle trim set around 10:00. After power on, try increasing the throttle trim so that it is just off when at zero throttle on the TX.

You can also try rebinding the RX/TX, but set your throttle trim to full negative as this resets the failsafe mode.

Also be sure you are in linear mode, not log

Chief

kwiktsi
05-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanks Chief. I tried playing with the trim already to no avail. I just rebound it and it seems a bit better. What I am noticing is it seems like once you get the motor going, the throttle will work all the way down, once the motor stops, it takes a bit more throttle to get it spinning again, then you can back it down. It's probably normal, just a different feel than my other setups.

hydro_pyro
05-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Sounds normal to me. Do the strut modification as soon as you get the chance-- Egg out the end of the hole, raise it up vertically, angle it down a bit, and tweak the stuffing tube to re-align the shaft to the strut. The boat will handle MUCH better, without any hopping porpoise, and reduced blow-over potential.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ur6ujl.jpg

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg629/hydropyropyropyro/D897E138-AEC6-42EC-AD3E-E45DCC4F0EA0-28333-0000330DAD47EAA7.jpg

BHChieftain
05-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Glad to see my strut get some face time!
8^)

I'm happy to mod the struts if folks want to send them to me.

Chief

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

kwiktsi
05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Chief, I meant to ask you- how "wet" does the boat run with the strut set up like that? On my BK Bandit, I have the strut set about 1/4-3/8" lower than you have yours with neutral or just a touch of positive (up) trim. Runs extremely loose like that and has a good MPH, but obviously does not like high speed turns- or headwinds lol. On my MG, I set the trim as neutral as I could with the top of the strut maybe about 1/16" above the bracket and it seemed to run pretty good with little to no bounce on the couple of runs it's had. As I get the time, I will be playing with props and strut adjustment more but this is where I started at and it's worked well.

macace123
05-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Reinforce the battery trays asap i filped mine and they busted clean off. i used fiber glass mesh an lined the hole boat as much as i could reach m445 prop is boss and also move your connectors to 5.5 on the motor and ESC or you will burn up your motor.

BHChieftain
05-23-2013, 12:45 PM
It is a bit counter intuitive but with the strut up high and lipos back the boat airs out well and runs on the back of the sponsons, nose lifted in the straights. Then when you hit the rudder for a turn it bites well.

With the strut down bouncing seems to get excessive.

But the best thing to do is experiment get a feel for it.

I've seen some posts of people grinding the bottom of the rudder bracket to bring the strut up even higher--on m445 props the prop would hit the bottom of the bracket (should not be needed with x642)

Chief

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

kwiktsi
05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Well, I just got back from more running, put my lighter packs in it and it does bounce with the strut where it is. I didn't notice it last night due to the default log throttle setting on the ESC limiting full throttle and the heavier batteries in it. You can see the bow rides high and the back is barely in the water, so it is wasting a lot of energy trying to push it up the way it is now. Going to do some tweaking on the strut to get a better adjustment out of it.

I did try a Graupner K42 on it today and didn't notice a huge difference aside from a little less bounce, so it is probably lifting the transom a bit more. I put the stock one on and will leave it until the boat is dialed in, then I will try different props.

I already swapped the battery connectors on the ESC to 5.5, but I am running out of bullets and don't have enough to do the motor as well at the moment. Have to order more. Thanks for the tip on the battery tray. I am still unsure what I want to do with them. I have a laser cutter and was debating making something different all together, but these seem functional so far. I know, famous last words, but I really don't see me modding this one much- so flipping and such won't be as high of a risk. If anything, I might mod them to make room for two 4S packs. I would rather have the runtime than the speed out of this one. I have my fast boats for when I need my speed fix, I just want something to reliably take out to the lake and not worry about it blowing off, rolling in a turn, burning something up, etc.

BHChieftain
05-24-2013, 09:48 AM
The esc-to-motor bullets will work fine with the stock setup and a mild prop so no problem letting that wait.

Chief

kwiktsi
05-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Spent more time tweaking the MG over the last couple of days. I relocated the rudder, played with the strut adjustment and messed with some props I have here. So far, the boat is running the best it has. Little to no bounce at all, doesn't lose nearly as much speed in the turns and, as expected, the prop change really woke it up quite a bit. Unfortunately, I have no clue what the prop specs are. It is a prop that came on my Pursuit when I bought it several years ago from a Chinese seller. I know it is a 42mm but don't know pitch. I used this prop for practicing mods on and such a while back so it is sharpened, balanced and bar cut and it just works really well on this boat. I'll experiment with other props as well, but compared to my Octura X442, this prop is noticeably faster. I also cannot get over how flat and stable this thing turns at speed. After running the MG, I took my BK cat out for a bit. Getting spoiled by the MG's handling, I tried a turn with my BK at about the same speeds and I sent it rolling across the water.. Really liking this boat for an RTR.