PDA

View Full Version : Swordfish - Can't disable BEC

cannonball
05-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi, I have a 220 SF ESC, and the bec is bad (keeps burning up my rx). So I will just run a separate rx battery, np...? So I pull the red wire out the connector, and plug back in, and nothing the ESC wont engage.. I Put the red back in the connector, and wala.. ESC arms like normal. Am I missing something here? Disabling the BEC is just simply remove the red(middle) wire, right? Please help, dont want to burn up another rx.

Mulisha
05-21-2013, 02:41 AM
Is it 220 pro or pro+ what brand rx?

cannonball
05-21-2013, 06:42 AM
It's the 220+ (not pro). Using a spektrum 3ch marine rx.

Mulisha
05-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Do you get any noise from the esc when you power it up any beeps? Yes just remove the red wire unless they don't have a bec then there no need not sure about the 220 pro

Mulisha
05-21-2013, 07:25 AM
What rx pack are you using?

lenny
05-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Do you have the plug from the esc to the rx plugged in the right way ?
Open connectors on the plug should be to the top of the rx just like the servo plug.

cannonball
05-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Yes, everything is connected in the proper manner

sundog
05-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Red wire pulled. Fresh batteries in reciever pack. Receiver pack plugged into rx correctly. Nothing happens? No pics, so I'm trying to visualize.

cannonball
05-21-2013, 10:39 AM
thanks for the help! yes the middle wire(red) is pulled from the plug. Yes freshly charged rx pack ( rx is on and is functioning properly, servos works). No matter what I try, with the red wire outta the plug it wont arm the ESC, (actually tried all the wires one at a time). But as soon as I put the red back in the arms.. I'm gonna try it all over agine right now, but I fear the same out-come. Really confused as to why the hot lead must be there.

cannonball
05-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I just tried atone. And no matter what I plug in first, I get the same result. If plug everything in like normal(no rx pack), the esc won't send power to the rx at all. According to kinetic racing, the bec has went out. He said most ppl running 4s+ usually run a rx pack and remove the red wire to disable the bec. The boat works with the red wire still in the plug, but I fear it may burn up the rx shine. Guess I can put a restored on the red lead while its running to see if in fact there is power coming from the esc. Any suggestions?

keithbradley
05-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Cannonball,

If your BEC is not working, the ESC will need power from the RX pack to power up.
When a (working) BEC is disabled by eliminating the red wire, it no longer powers the servo and RX, but it still does energize the ESC. Thus, if the BEC is not working (comparable to an OPTO ESC), it will need to be energized through the RX pack via the red wire.

Mulisha
05-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Are you plugging the servo/esc and bec into the same port each time on the rx? Maybe power it up while holding the throttle to set your points see if that work?

drwayne
05-25-2013, 03:33 AM
thanks for the help! yes the middle wire(red) is pulled from the plug. Yes freshly charged rx pack ( rx is on and is functioning properly, servos works). No matter what I try, with the red wire outta the plug it wont arm the ESC, (actually tried all the wires one at a time). But as soon as I put the red back in the arms.. I'm gonna try it all over agine right now, but I fear the same out-come. Really confused as to why the hot lead must be there.

Remove the Rx battery, connect the esc red wire and plug to Rx..
Connect main battery to esc.
If no power at Rx, then the BEC has failed.

If the bec has failed, the esc needs power from Rx to connect and arm.
Use Rx battery to Rx.
Connect red wire from esc to plug.
voila'.. like magic, it works !

regs
W