PDA

View Full Version : what to do with 2.4 RX antenna?

kwiktsi
05-16-2013, 03:26 PM
I have been out of the loop for a while. While all my older boats are on 75mhz, I am converting some and setting my new ones up on a 2.4 system. The couple of boats that I have already converted, I was able to mount the RX in a spot where I got most of the wire into a shortened external antenna tube. A couple of the other boats, there is no way to get the wire to the existing antenna mounts due to RX location and also the new boats- since they are not drilled yet, I would rather not if it's not necessary.

Trying to search here and some other sites and have seen both- some guys keep the antenna in the hull, others say you can't do that. What is the general consensus here? These are 32" and smaller hulls, all FG, no CF. Thanks.

Rocstar
05-16-2013, 03:42 PM
I have ran with the antenna inside a FG hull with no issues as long as its above the water line. Some Tatic RXs don't have an antenna at all. A CF hull will block the signal however and an external antenna is required.

gb tiggycat
05-16-2013, 04:09 PM
You can get extended length antennas for Futaba and I believe Orange receivers over here in the UK to allow you to run out above deck

kwiktsi
05-16-2013, 04:46 PM
I have ran with the antenna inside a FG hull with no issues as long as its above the water line. Some Tatic RXs don't have an antenna at all. A CF hull will block the signal however and an external antenna is required.
That's kind of the idea I'm getting from searching around as well- as long as it's a glass hull and above the water line, it's good- just wanted to verify. How about roost spray and such, does that affect signal? A couple of my boats, the RX is mounted up under the deck by the transom- would the antenna be ok there or can the spray cause problems (I don't know, act like a wall blocking the signal or something)? Sorry for the newbish questions, been using 2.4 on my planes for a while now but no experience with it in boats so I'd rather ask than do something that will cause problems.

You can get extended length antennas for Futaba and I believe Orange receivers over here in the UK to allow you to run out above deck
I'll have to see what is out there, thanks.

Chilli
05-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Futaba always recommends running an external antenna though some run theirs internally without problems. You've just got ask yourself if it's worth the risk..

Peter A
05-16-2013, 09:01 PM
I run HK gtb2 cheapie radio, recievers cost a few bucks. I haven't had a single problem in over a year and a half even when the antenna wire is left inside the hull. Range is around 200m +/-, but our pond doesn't let you get far enough away.

J.W. Pepper
05-17-2013, 04:01 AM
Here's an idea... http://www.tacticrc.com/tacj0245.html

The receiver's don't have external antenna's, it's built in, like modern cell phones.

I've got 5 of those systems, all work great.

They show up in the swap shop on a frequent basis with price's in the $40 range - got a couple of mine that way.

Happy Boating

lackabucks1
05-18-2013, 08:42 AM
I have a cheepo HK plane receiver with about a 2" antenna in one of my boats. Just stood it vertical inside hull and no range problems at all. As long as antenna is above waterline its fine. Wouldn't try this in a hull with a lot of carbon fiber though.

kwiktsi
05-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Cool, thanks guys. I am actually using a cheap FlySky GT3B, so same RX as the HK I believe? So far the boats I have converted have the antenna exiting the hull, but the next one won't be as easy. I'll leave it in and see how it works out. Thanks again.
Joe

J.W. Pepper
05-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Cool, thanks guys. I am actually using a cheap FlySky GT3B, so same RX as the HK I believe? So far the boats I have converted have the antenna exiting the hull, but the next one won't be as easy. I'll leave it in and see how it works out. Thanks again.
Joe

Joe,
I was having range issues with one of my boats last summer. It came with the tactic radio, so no antenna hole and like you I didn't want to drill one.

Anyways, long story short I tried the Axial AX-3 system, wrapped the antenna wire around the receiver box under the top lip (hope that makes sense) and secured it with hatch tape. I was able to send the boat (27") out as far as the eye could see without any glitches.

Somewhere I seem to remember reading on one of the forums that the Axial system is basically a re-badged FlySky. I don't know if that's true or not, just sayin...

BTW: I have no experience with CF hulls or ones that have been reinforced with it, so I gotta go along with those members that have experience.

J.W. Pepper
05-18-2013, 04:56 PM

Thanks for bringing that up!! Since all but one of my radios is a Tactic.

The Rx's without an antenna are model number TR-324. They have a model TR-624 (6-chan) that has a short (30cm) external antenna.

Do you think a CF hull or one reinforced with it would have the same / similar issues with the TR-624 Rx as the TR-324??

Rocstar
05-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks for bringing that up!! Since all but one of my radios is a Tactic.

The Rx's without an antenna are model number TR-324. They have a model TR-624 (6-chan) that has a short (30cm) external antenna.

Do you think a CF hull or one reinforced with it would have the same / similar issues with the TR-624 Rx as the TR-324??
Any conductive material will block a radio signal (carbon fiber is conductive). As long as the antenna is outside the CF hull it will work. When is doubt, mount an external antenna.

J.W. Pepper
05-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Any conductive material will block a radio signal (carbon fiber is conductive). As long as the antenna is outside the CF hull it will work. When is doubt, mount an external antenna.

Joel
Thanks for the info - much appreciated!!

I haven't graduated to CF hulls yet, and I'll stick with fiberglass to reinforce my hulls. CF definely looks cool, probably stronger too, but I don't like external antenna's - just a personal preference.

BTW: I made a typo regarding the antenna length of the Tactic TR-624 - it's 30mm not 30cm - my bad, sorry.

Regards,