PDA

View Full Version : hopping hydro

Gary
05-12-2013, 10:17 AM
My little Ten shock hydro has always had a bad habbit of jumping around when making turns. Almost like it just will not stick to the water. Tried a couple turn fins and allthogh it will turn better it still jumps around. Anyone else have that problem? Other than that it runs grat.

detox
05-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Hull may be running too wet causing sponsons to grab and go. Try adjusting your strut less deep to loosen up hull.

Angle on turnfin may be too aggressive. Pulling hull down in turns. Try a nuetral setting

tlandauer
05-13-2013, 03:48 AM
My little Ten shock hydro has always had a bad habbit of jumping around when making turns. Almost like it just will not stick to the water. Tried a couple turn fins and allthogh it will turn better it still jumps around. Anyone else have that problem? Other than that it runs grat.
Gary, I have the very OPPOSITE problem, all my turns are great, but try going straight, she will hop and dip from side to side, when I make a big sweeping arch, the hull seemed well planted. :noidea: :confused1:

Gary
05-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Think your right Detox. I moved the COG back more and will give it another test this week. I will let you know. tlandauer THAT I have seen and is from to deep a prop or to big of a prop. What do you run?

tlandauer
05-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Think your right Detox. I moved the COG back more and will give it another test this week. I will let you know. tlandauer THAT I have seen and is from to deep a prop or to big of a prop. What do you run?
Mine is bought here with a different motor, the prop is 30 mm, plastic, not the Tenshock metal. I tried to move the strut but there is no room for adjustment. I couldn't detach the strut from the stuffing tube, otherwise I may be able to elongate the hole and move the strut up.
The only thing is maybe my COG is way off, although I checked with MinicatUSA's instruction and it is within the ball park. As is, because of the larger motor can, my ESC is in front of the motor, I run a 2s, 2300 lipo on the port side. Motor is this :http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-sl-10t-2848-blue.html ( I believe sell bought it from HK however). So you see the motor can is a lot bigger than stock Tenshock. Any further advice is greatly appreciated!
:beerchug:

oscarel
05-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Have u tried just a hair positive on the strut?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

tlandauer
05-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Have u tried just a hair positive on the strut?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
No, not really, because the Stainless Steel Stuffing tube is rather rigid, I will see if it is possible, thanks!

Gary
05-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Its possible and you can elongate the hole a little like i did to make some ajustment. Tube is stiff but remember it only needs a tiny adjustment for a tiny boat.

tlandauer
05-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Its possible and you can elongate the hole a little like i did to make some ajustment. Tube is stiff but remember it only needs a tint adjustment for a tiny boat.
Will try, thanks for the advices, is the bore of the strut glued to the stuffing tube? I was afraid to force the issue, maybe a slight twist will take it off? I seem to see some transparent CA in that area. Boat is in mint condition so I don't think previous owner has applied glue to it, plus it is the same way as on my Starship Outrigger which I bought from Minicat.

Gary
05-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Strut should come right off no problem.

sundog
05-19-2013, 05:46 AM
Will try, thanks for the advices, is the bore of the strut glued to the stuffing tube? I was afraid to force the issue, maybe a slight twist will take it off? I seem to see some transparent CA in that area. Boat is in mint condition so I don't think previous owner has applied glue to it, plus it is the same way as on my Starship Outrigger which I bought from Minicat.
If that is the boat I sold you? If so, I never had that problem going straight. Do you suppose it has anything to do with the steering fin you installed? I don't know about glue on the stuffing tube, I never had reason to remove it.

tlandauer
05-19-2013, 06:05 AM
If that is the boat I sold you? If so, I never had that problem going straight. Do you suppose it has anything to do with the steering fin you installed? I don't know about glue on the stuffing tube, I never had reason to remove it.
Maybe it has something to do with the turn fin I installed, :noidea: the pond is not that smooth and I am comparing the attitude with a slightly larger DF Vortex 16. I was referring to the CA Tenshock used to secure the brass bore on the strut to the tube, same as on my Starship Outrigger.
Don't get me wrong, IN NO WAY WAS I COMPLAINING the boat, I love it, just wanted to see if anybody has any suggestions.
I have not tried to move up the strut simply because I didn't have time, the strut blade has to be taken out so I can enlarge the hole in order to raise the strut. Frankly, it is not a bad hop and I can live with it, the CA is tricky to remove, I don't want to ruin a mint conditioned hull!
Thanks.

Gary
05-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Moving the COG helped alot but I think the spray foam up front and the larger esc may have added a little to much weight but it runs alot better now.

Namba328
05-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Moving the COG helped alot but I think the spray foam up front and the larger esc may have added a little to much weight but it runs alot better now.

Btw tenshock hydros tend to be loose. Its in there design.

paultbg
05-26-2013, 05:20 AM
@Gary-so, in the end what was the solution in your case?
I have the same problem with a Joysway Sea Drifter... :confused1:

Gary
05-26-2013, 07:36 AM
To much wieght up front making sponson dig in to much. Moving it back helped alot but its kind of squirly in the straights so I had to move it forward just a little. I would rather slow down in the turns than have it blow over.........hate fishing for it.

Heaving Earth
05-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Let's see the turn fin

paultbg
05-26-2013, 03:48 PM
with and without the turn fin is doing the same;also have tried all the depths of the strut and all the angle on the prop...still the same.

Heaving Earth
05-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Yeah well sometimes the right turn fin can help keep it in the water.

tlandauer
05-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Yeah well sometimes the right turn fin can help keep it in the water.
Mine ( turn fin) certainly helped as far as NOT going STRAIGHT, ( no pun intented) , as long as there is an arc, she stays in the water really well. Could it be our definition of hopping is not the same? Mine never flipped no matter how unstable the hull is, mine was more of a port-to -starboard shake, if you will. So now I think we might be talking about different issues. :noidea: