PDA

View Full Version : RIP Revolt!

ProfileBroKen
05-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Freshly charged batteries, beep. beep-beep-beep from the ESC, and push off on the homeowner's association lake. Settle back and apply throttle, but the boat barely responds. Then - the magic smoke is released, pouring out of the boat - and the lid BLOWS off, flames everywhere! I had to step into the lake shin deep and submerge the smoldering wreck (thank God for flip flops).

Bottom line, ESC smoked, batteries trashed, battery tray melted, the inside is scorched, and the motor is an unknown at this point. I am not sure what the heck happened, but it was spectacular :rockon2:

It may be time to get another while tower still has the sale going on...

Heaving Earth
05-07-2013, 07:37 PM
What batteries you runnin?

jetskier
05-07-2013, 08:01 PM
sorry to hear that. what brand and condition was the batteries.

ProfileBroKen
05-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Batteries are Gen Ace 50C 5000 mah 2 cell hard packs. 20 or so cycles on them. Notice I said "are", not "was". They are both OK (being cycled now), the one closest to the ESC has some scorch marks, but otherwise the battery in great shape. Based on the fire damage inside the boat, it appears as though the ESC caught fire. Maybe I got lucky and all I need to do is replace the ESC.

jetskier
05-07-2013, 09:03 PM
with your modified battery connection and running a pair of 2S batteries do you have a series adapter?

ProfileBroKen
05-07-2013, 09:13 PM
with your modified battery connection and running a pair of 2S batteries do you have a series adapter?

I made up series adaptor with EC5s all the way around. The setup worked perfectly ever since I've been running the boat, for about the last 5 or 6 weeks. The adaptor, much like the batteries, survived the fire. I am not sure where you are going, but I am always interested in learning something new.

stadiumyamaha
05-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Does the motor still feel good. The only time I've had a esc blow that bad it was the motor locking up that over amped the esc.

stadiumyamaha
05-07-2013, 10:20 PM
I've got a new battery tray if you want it.

ProfileBroKen
05-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Does the motor still feel good. The only time I've had a esc blow that bad it was the motor locking up that over amped the esc.

Yeah, I think the motor is toast. The cogging is definately not consistent throughout the motor spin.

ProfileBroKen
05-08-2013, 07:28 AM
I've got a new battery tray if you want it.

PM sent!

ProfileBroKen
05-27-2013, 09:47 PM
I just wanted to let folks know that AuquCraft are great folks to deal with. They sent me out a new 60 amp ESC to replace the one that caught fire.