PDA

View Full Version : How to fasten flex to drive shaft

flyboy320
07-02-2008, 01:16 PM
I am going to be assembling my flex cable to the 3/16" drive shaft, and have read several different ways to do this. As far as the "gluing" method, people have recommended either "permatex high strength sleeve retainer" or loctite 603.

I have looked at several stores in my area (Toronto), and the closest match I can find is "red loctite". Was wondering if this will do, or as an alternative, I already have JB weld I could use as well.

So should I continue to look for either "permatex high strength sleeve retainer" or "loctite 603", or will the red loctite or JB weld work?

z400
07-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Checked out any automotive stores for the Loctite 603?

Dr. Jet
07-02-2008, 01:39 PM
LocTite 648 is the latest and greatest. Whichever you use, be sure they are what we refer to as "Green Sauce". Do not use red sauce or blue sauce.

Be certain to thoroughly clean and prep all surfaces. I use a wire wheel in the bench grinder and follow-up with MEK, acetone or something similar. Pay extra attention to cleaning out the hole in the prop shaft. A pipe cleaner and the aforementioned solvents work well.

flyboy320
07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Checked out any automotive stores for the Loctite 603?

All the ones around here call Loctite as Red, Blue, etc. I don't know if the Red is the same as 603, but the red is called "permanent" where the Blue is called "high strength".

wrenchman7281975
07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
The blue and red are completely different than the green.The green may also be refered to as a SLEEVE RETAINER.

flyboy320
07-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Ah, OK, haven't heard of green loctite, I'll have a look for that.

Thanks

n.h.schmidt
07-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Steven does sell Loctite 603 right here. Its a good price and you will not likely find it cheaper anywhere else. If you want to use JB Weld thats ok.Just be sure to use props that you don't mind loosing ,it could happen . The advice to clean everything really well is right on. You can't get it too clean. Loctite 648 is also really good and I use it myself. n.h.schmidt

andym
07-03-2008, 06:35 AM
The problem with products like JB weld is that some loose structual strenght at temps over approx 60 deg celcius. The loctite 603 or 648 will not! The loctite sleeve retainer is the best choice as it fills all pores at a microscopic level and is almost like a chemical silver solder.

lonewolf
07-03-2008, 09:02 AM
I , soo far have used the solder method, and have not lost a prop yet. Sure hope I'm useing the correct solder... Either way solder has worked well for me, even on my gasser... Dave

flyboy320
07-03-2008, 10:54 AM
I , soo far have used the solder method, and have not lost a prop yet. Sure hope I'm useing the correct solder... Either way solder has worked well for me, even on my gasser... Dave

What type of solder do you use, is it just regular electrical solder, silver solder, etc.?

I have read that doing it this way can make the flex brittle and some have broken off, but weather that was because of the heat applied to solder the cable or not I don't know.

lomdel
08-11-2009, 03:47 AM
Do you use the solder method basically the same as soldering on bullet connectors? Pour some heated solder into the shaft, heat up the whole shaft and just stick the flex cable in...? Anyone else had some succes with the solder method? I wanted to use the loctite that Steve sells, but forgot to add it to my latest order...

FastVee
08-11-2009, 05:38 AM
I have done both, soldering and 603.

For soldering I used 4% silver solder(novak) ,heated the prop shaft until the solder melted in there, filled it with solder. Heated flex cable until solder started to melt on it and covered the bit that enters prop shaft with solder.Then I heated the prop shaft again, stuck in the flex while turning it a bit at the same time.
Let it cool for a bit and install.

Thick cables needs powerful iron or torch.

This has worked on Mini rio(did the piano wire mod) and SV27. On Delta I used the 603,it was super easy and strong.

What ever you use, clean the parts well first.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info-pages/assemble-shaft.php -good info here

Pate