View Full Version : Wood Prop Gauge = Jewely

Mike Caruso
05-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Received mine today a work of Art.

http://woodrcboatproducts.com/page4.html

MC :smile:

Basstronics
05-03-2013, 05:11 AM
I want one. Irritating thing was Speedmasters price was $180 and Woods is $260 and they looked the same at first glance...

Darin Jordan
05-03-2013, 10:46 AM
I have the Speedmaster, and it gets the job done nicely. It's definitely NOT the quality of the Woods, however. Depends on what you are after. I got the SM before I knew the Woods existed, but honestly, even as often as I use it, it does the job. I even fabbed a new 1/8" shaft for it for doing the small props.

grsboats
05-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Mike this a great tool...I've got mine years ago from Andy Brown probably a speedmaster one......no more black magic with props.Gill

Mike Caruso
05-27-2013, 10:13 PM
I knew for years I needed to build one or buy one having been around full size boats as a kid. It was time to to learn some more so I needed a great tool and Steve makes one. Learned a lot with the first Hughey prop gauge that I still have. Most people just don't need to know why? Fun is having the knowledge putting it in use ......thinking I can make it better if.......

pescador
05-28-2013, 05:46 PM
I have one on the way from Steve as well. I'm hoping to learn how to use it by comparing some of my props from M. Sholund that have all their numbers. I'll probably be back with questions :)

egneg
05-28-2013, 06:32 PM
I still use the Hughey Pitch Gauge. The others are very nice but out of my price range - cost versus benefit. Unless I can recover the cost in a short amount of time it will not pay for itself.

Mike Caruso
05-29-2013, 11:01 AM
I still use the Hughey Pitch Gauge. The others are very nice but out of my price range - cost versus benefit. Unless I can recover the cost in a short amount of time it will not pay for itself.

Oh, Yes I used mine to make my Revolt run as good as it does. Price range..... heck LOL I ran more hand me down stuff over 50 years than I could every repay. I would do A-B-A testing and get the best I could before buying a brand new part. In 1972 I ran Hughey .40 hydro kit that came with a prop. The prop was very easy to bend as it was SS sheet with a center hole a threaded hub welded in place ears are bent and shaped into a prop. Very gummy SS but it allowed me to run my boat a few laps bring it in and bend the blades. Easy did it run better or worse? Got the boat running great started racing had a ball. My problem was with rules like everyone else some people could buy better engines and still run the same class!!!! Anyway what it did teach me was how to modify props and I still apply the same info I taught myself so it was not a waste of time it was an education. These prop guys today are supplying a great prop for too cheap as I see it. Ha.
Mike
P.S. The Hughey ran 48-50 mph I guess I am still stuck in the 50's LOL

Mike Caruso
05-29-2013, 11:10 AM
I have one on the way from Steve as well. I'm hoping to learn how to use it by comparing some of my props from M. Sholund that have all their numbers. I'll probably be back with questions :)

He does very nice work.

egneg
05-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Oh, Yes I used mine to make my Revolt run as good as it does. Price range..... heck LOL I ran more hand me down stuff over 50 years than I could every repay. I would do A-B-A testing and get the best I could before buying a brand new part. In 1972 I ran Hughey .40 hydro kit that came with a prop. The prop was very easy to bend as it was SS sheet with a center hole a threaded hub welded in place ears are bent and shaped into a prop. Very gummy SS but it allowed me to run my boat a few laps bring it in and bend the blades. Easy did it run better or worse? Got the boat running great started racing had a ball. My problem was with rules like everyone else some people could buy better engines and still run the same class!!!! Anyway what it did teach me was how to modify props and I still apply the same info I taught myself so it was not a waste of time it was an education. These prop guys today are supplying a great prop for too cheap as I see it. Ha.
Mike
P.S. The Hughey ran 48-50 mph I guess I am still stuck in the 50's LOL

I am sure I could have paid for one several times over a couple of years ago when I had more time to do props for folks. But for me the props I did was a way for me to pay for the hobby. Now I don't have as much time to run and build boats - some of which still haven't been wet.

Mike Caruso
05-29-2013, 01:06 PM
I am sure I could have paid for one several times over a couple of years ago when I had more time to do props for folks. But for me the props I did was a way for me to pay for the hobby. Now I don't have as much time to run and build boats - some of which still haven't been wet.

You are correct that's the same thing I did S&B a few props and the guys would pay me with new props. How soon I forgot 40 years LOL. I did my race partner machine work he needed and then he would do my woodworking and painting.......not my specialty then but better today.
Yup just like you old hands and eyes it just takes longer but it is still a blast and all the new friends I have made over the years through RC Boating. Yes I have a boat not ready for the water but close I have taken pictures along the way but not had time to size the pictures load them up you know the excuse's Ha