PDA

View Full Version : Battery, Speed Control, and motor 101

mofo
04-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Couldn't someone explain where I can find-out the basics of Lipo's, ESC's, and motor size? I've got an AquaCraft MC on the way, and have tried to read about different set-ups, but I need a primer on the basics. Where can I find that? Thanks in advance! i.e. how do you know what batteries go with what motor, and what ESC? You guys are speaking a language I don't understand, but want to.

lenny
04-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Hi,:tiphat:
First you need to know what S lipo's you want to run, And that = the volts you will be running in a setup.
Than the motor kv comes in to the setup and a esc with some head room for higher amps the the setup may pull,
Hear is what the MC setup looks like, 4S=14.80 v and the motor is 1800kv.
So now it is 1800kv * 14.80v = 26640 rpm unloaded on the motor.

Hope this info help a little,
And hears some links to more stuff and info.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/forumdisplay.php?105-OffshoreElectrics-Tips-amp-Info

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?271-Ideas-on-Building-a-Reliable-BL-System-by-ReddyWatts.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17907405&postcount=3

http://www.tjinguytech.com/

mofo
05-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Thank you Lenny. That helps quite a bit. Like many, I started to read about modified drive-lines, and it got me going. I would certainly like to play with upgrades after getting a bit of time behind the wheel. Thanks again!

sanyijr
05-01-2013, 12:06 PM
MoFo,

Great screen name! :)

Lenny has given you some good starting points. There is a large learning curve. Damn, just the charging options can be mind-boggling. But for a MoFo like you, you should be good....:thumbup:

Well, Also, since the MC is your specific focus, and if you have an hour or more free time, start by reading through this thread from the start. And I mean the General MC related one... People have basic questions that you can relate to right away, and some that you will understand as your knowledge base grows. But best asvice I can give is to read. Read and laugh (at people's mistakes and misfortune) only to no repeat it. Watch their power combos and see there reasoning for the setups.

Then if you have specific questions, post away... Most likely, someone has already tried what you are thinking and can inform you of the results...

But definitely get familiar with the KV/amp properties on the motor, "S" and Voltage, "C" rating and mah basics of batteries and then the ESCs are their own animal, but they all work together...

Read, have fun and welcome to a super fun hobby!

Sean

mofo
05-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Thank you Sean. I feel like I got the motherload of info from Lenny. The links he provided have been quite good. I'm anxiously awaiting the UPS truck so I can get my hands on the new boat. With a couple of friends headed down the same path, it should be good fun. Thanks again for the advise.

Aloha,
Jon

mtbenjamin77
05-01-2013, 01:24 PM
The god thing about the motley crew is that with the right prop and proper COG you can make the stock setup very competitive

mofo
05-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Is the motor from the UL-1 a replacement, with added performance, for the MC boat?

lenny
05-01-2013, 06:45 PM
For the stock setup you should up grade the connectors to 5.5 bullets,
I do that to all my boat setups and it help a lot in the long run.
The UL-1 is a 2030kv motor and would work in it on 4s and = out to 30044rpm,
And the stock 1800kv you could run on 5s and the would give you 33300rpm.
But you should up grade the esc to a seaking 120a for that setup,
And also the setup would be for short speed runs.
It all depends on what you want the boat to do for you,
Nice long run times and stable on the water or high speeds and going fishing for it all the time.

mofo
05-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Just wanted to update this thread and say "thank you!" I had the boat in the water yesterday, and couldn't believe it. Very fast. I'm sure that's a relative term from a NG, but I was impressed. Had a bit of trouble binding the trans and receiver. It worked fine on the bench at home, but not so when I got to the water. After about 15 minutes of monkeying around, it just worked, and I was able to run the boat. No problems since. Lenny, I took your advise and ordered a set of 5.5 bullets. I'd like to buy another set of batteries so I can run without having to wait on the charger. I like the idea of longer run-times over short high speed runs, but wouldn't mind some performance upgrades. Any recomendations on batteries? Thanks again.

lenny
05-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Hey good for you,:beerchug:
Now what lipo's do you have ?
And did you get any video's of it running ?:popcorn2:
Also hear is some very good info for you to learn about your boat and basic tweaking of the stock setup.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?25689-Race-Prep-on-my-Crew-Hull

mofo
05-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I picked-up a pair of Grim Racer 4200Mah 7.4v 30c batteries when I ordered the boat.

sanyijr
05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Hey MoFo,

Yes, the MC is pretty fast stock... It is relative, but coming from NiCD and brushed technology, or no boat background, it moves pretty good. I have 2 sets of 5,000Mah packs. For sport/fun running, I would not spend the top dollar but many do. To each his own on this one, but i would look online for deals. i found a discounted Tenergy brand on ValueHobby.com. Spent like $18 a piece... The 4200s you mention (at 30C) is not bad. 120 amps continuous, they are happy :). Many people have those in the MC.

If you are up for long run times and your motor/esc are running cool, you can always go a little bigger still. 6500Mah or so.... But the weight will add up and effect planing and handling. So I would recoomend the same physical size and weight for your sets, otherwise, you CG will change and your performance will be all over the place...

For me, the 5000mah packs get me some nice length runs. i don't just full throttle all the time. i have two other boats that friends, kids, whoever tool around with. So lots of start and stopping. But my gear is set up a bit for that. Slightly smaller props. i have a DF26 that is set up for "learning"... Small prop at a X637 or X638 and i can get long run times...But that is running at 25-30 mph. But if you are jumping waves for 15-20 minutes, who cares...

Glad to hear all is good. Don't forget to tighten that collet as well. Some people don't on their first boat, and they lose the drive-line... :thumbup1:

Sean

mofo
05-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks for that Sean. I like to tinker, so I took the boat apart before putting it the water. Having built several full-size boats, I was curious about the drive-line. I ordered a couple of 5000mah packs. I also ordered a 120 esc that Lenny recommended, and a few additional drive-line components.

sanyijr
05-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Sooner than later, you will have a nice large inventory of parts... It is the natural process of these things.. What packs did you get?

Sean

mofo
05-07-2013, 07:35 PM
I ordered a couple of Grim R 5000 mah packs. I haven't really had a chance to run the 4200's down very far, but I have a couple of friends nearly ready to get their boats in the water. Just finished some buoys to lay-out a course. We should be trading paint very soon.

Tunda
05-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Where do you guys run?

mofo
05-07-2013, 10:35 PM
The best place I've found, so far, is Enchanted Lake. I went to Ala Moana the other day, but the water is nasty with trash and really small. By the time my boat gets up to speed, which seems like a Milli-second, I'm across the pond. The Hygenic store isn't bad, but it's hard to get close to the water since the drug rehab guys chained all the way to the banyan tree, and the police have posted a sign against trespassing at the south side where the railing ends. Any suggestions? Ala moana was a real let-down. It seems like a nice place, but the trash was intense, and the water seems really polluted.

Tunda
05-08-2013, 05:42 AM
There is a bunch of us who run at kahaluu Hygenic store every other sunday..... I will pm you..........