PDA

View Full Version : Nitro Elam conversion

Heaving Earth
04-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Got the boat without motor on eBay.
First thing was to gut the hull. Ripped everything out including stringers and radio box, stuffing tube. Filled transom holes with epoxy.
I grabbed carbon for the floor which is weak. Carbon battery tray for cockpit, etti mount, speedmaster sport 20 strut, speedmaster mini rudder and aluminum servo mount amount other small items.
Im not going for speed records here, just a cool scale hydro that doesn't fill with water like my old bl Elam. Not sure what motor yet but seaking 120 will be esc. I don't want a power hog of a motor, so I'm looking for probably 36 by 50 or 74. It will most likely run on 4s1p and maybe 5s. I'm thinking 1700-1800kv. Unsure right now. Anyways here's pics.
Also the turn fin is rather silly, but is it functional? Anyone?
I can fabricate something better if need be

Heaving Earth
04-30-2013, 02:06 PM

Doby
04-30-2013, 02:20 PM
I did a Llumar conversion a few years ago...same hull, different color...and the turn fin worked well for what it is. Ran it with a Fiego 9 xl (if I remember correctly) using a SV 27 45 amp controller....worked well.....the only PITA was sealing up the canopy and ramming all the electronics and the batteries in the small space.

Doby
04-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Found an old thread on it..

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?278-Miss-Llumar-Vids&highlight=

Looks like it was a SV-27 motor that I used...not the 9xl.

Heaving Earth
04-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Cool. Yeah I have a couple of good ideas for sealing the front part of the hatch. My ideas are for a subhatch

Heaving Earth
04-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I'll try the stock turnfin. I polished it and sharpened ( man was it dull ). Looks good98020

Alexgar
04-30-2013, 09:30 PM
D I ran my ul1 without a turn fin and it had a huge turning radius. Have a straight turn fin on now but prefer a curved one like the stock ul1 fin

Heaving Earth
04-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Well I Have some aluminum stock so I will fabricate a couple different styles. This one is straight but is mounted at an angle. I'll play around with some different shapes and curves

Heaving Earth
05-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Well some goodies in
My mailbox today. Ose is quick. I ordered these yesterday around 9 and had them today.
Speedmaster is really great stuff IMO. Pics do no justice, but beefy stuff. Rudder is very nice and tight tolerances.

Heaving Earth
05-01-2013, 04:36 PM
By comparison you can see the speedmaster is much better than the stock proboat rubbish.98045

Heaving Earth
05-02-2013, 05:14 PM
im thinking i may cut an access panel on the rear deck to gain access to the transom. the aluminum plate that once mounted the stock strut is in the way, and i would like to get some reinforcing done back there. also getting nuts on the new hardware would be a nightmare unless i do. a small access panel is all thats really needed, and would greatly help.

Heaving Earth
05-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Well I hacked my way in. And cut out Old strut mount. It looks rough now, but I'll make it look pretty later. Now I can reinforce everything and mount my hardware proper.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/03/e4ugeqyv.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/03/nanuhepe.jpg

Brushless55
05-02-2013, 06:01 PM
I dig these hulls and want to tag along on this build!

Heaving Earth
05-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Sweet. I'm Probly the first person I know of to bother going thru all this, but I feel like a better strut will help achieve the needed lift in the transom on this boat, instead of just trying to bury the nose with weight.
Here's the strut, with a nice flat bottom9811198112

Heaving Earth
05-02-2013, 06:57 PM
To fill in the wood that was cut out from transom I just cut a piece of birch ply. I will glue that in with epoxy. Then my plan is to fill the hole in the bottom with a piece of carbon plate. 9811398114
Once this is all in I can go ahead and start putting the carbon in the floor, and transom.

Heaving Earth
05-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Well I'm going for the right side rudder. We will see how it works out

Heaving Earth
05-02-2013, 10:47 PM
I grabbed a aq 1800kv motor for this. I wanted a motor that could do the job without being a complete power hog. I'm hoping to get some decent runtimes given the fact that it's gonna hafta be 1p configuration, given the limited space for batteries.

monojeff
05-03-2013, 02:53 AM
I have a build thread I started on my FE version of this boat. Fun boats to run and enjoy that not to many people have them or run them.
It ran well with the top UL hulls in our club no problem won a few races last season with it.

Hit 50mph with a AQ2200 motor requires some extra weight in the sponson tips to keep things down and still pretty flighty at these speeds with the strange double break they have going on the hull and large scoop on the cowl. I am working on a low profile version of the cowl I will finish one of these days. After 2 hard seasons of running the bottom has started to break on the sponson running surfaces even after I laid down some thin ply to fix the rid pads I recommend strengthening as much as you can these RTR boats dont last long when run hard.

I also used a air damn made out of plastic straws that I would tape on there for windy days.

Another guy in our club has a nitro conversion and he would run the batteries in the sponsons his boat also runs pretty good.
Have fun looking good so far.

Heaving Earth
05-03-2013, 10:55 AM
thanks jeff. my plans are you make some sort of subhatch so i can remove the plastic in the scoop. seems like an area that will just make alot of drag, so im hoping i can make the air flow go thru that and out the turbine.
as far as strenthening, the only area i can really lay down carbon is the floor mostly, so i have a bunch of clear vinyl rock chip guard used for the fronts of cars. its pretty durable, so the areas i cant reinforce, i will lay that on the outside. it wont add any rigidity, but it will keep things from cracking or breaking. in the event of a catastrophic accident, the vinyl should keep the fiberglass together, or at least if it does crack, to prevent sinking.
i will probably try running it with no weight in the front first. i anticipate with the new strut there should be a good amount of lift in the rear, maybe enough to keep the nose down, maybe not. well see.
i thought about using ziplock bags and filling them with water or sand as balast for the sponsons if i need to. seems like a good way to get weight in them without committing to anything.

Darin Jordan
05-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Looks good thus far! You took it further than I ever did, which is great to see. Will be watching and enjoying your build. Keep up the good work.

Darin Jordan
05-03-2013, 11:03 AM
OH, just a quick note... I saw your comment about running it with no weight up front...

I can tell you from personal experience that you will probably have to add a considerable amount to the nose. Less if you can get it really far forward (sponson tips)...

What might help is if you want to try to tackle getting the entry to the tunnel... the first 2" or so of entry angle, smoothed out to match the rest of the tunnel. That shart 10+degree entry causes a lot of lift to concentrate at the front of the tunnel, and I believe is partially responsible for the nasty "sponson walk" that seems to occur in all of these around 45mph...

Heaving Earth
05-03-2013, 11:06 AM
thanks for looking darin. i think my fav part of rc boating is restoring or building them and testing -)
be nice if i can make a significant difference here, but either way it will be cool to have a nice scale looking hydro.
if i can get mid to high 40's and stable ill be more than happy

srislash
05-03-2013, 11:08 AM
thanks jeff. my plans are you make some sort of subhatch so i can remove the plastic in the scoop. seems like an area that will just make alot of drag, so im hoping i can make the air flow go thru that and out the turbine.
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing on the Miss Bud. I have two of them. The first was too cheap to pass up so figured I would experiment with it.Unfortunately,the sponsons are full of Great Stuff.It is currently running,but really flutters down the straight.
Signing up on this and willing to participate in mods sir...hehe

Oh, and I do have vid of it.

Heaving Earth
05-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Awesome Sean! I have an interesting idea for the subhatch. They're only ideas at this point, but I really think they could work. I think the hardest part of these hulls is getting them water tight. Even the bl version was a nightmare and always filled with water.

Heaving Earth
05-03-2013, 11:19 AM
OH, just a quick note... I saw your comment about running it with no weight up front...

I can tell you from personal experience that you will probably have to add a considerable amount to the nose. Less if you can get it really far forward (sponson tips)...

What might help is if you want to try to tackle getting the entry to the tunnel... the first 2" or so of entry angle, smoothed out to match the rest of the tunnel. That shart 10+degree entry causes a lot of lift to concentrate at the front of the tunnel, and I believe is partially responsible for the nasty "sponson walk" that seems to occur in all of these around 45mph...
my immediate idea for getting weight in the sponson tips is to drop small fishing weights in the sponsons, then with it standing up nose down, mixing epoxy, then using a turkey baster with a tube attached, sucking up some epoxy and feeding the tube all the way to the sponson tips, then just squeezing out the epoxy to glue all the weights together and to the hull.

Heaving Earth
05-03-2013, 11:25 AM
i also figure, instead of just dropping a bunch of loose weights in there, i could actually tie them together with the fishing line first. that way its more like one weight.

Heaving Earth
05-03-2013, 11:30 AM
any aproximate guess as to how much weight is needed up front?

srislash
05-03-2013, 11:49 AM
any aproximate guess as to how much weight is needed up front?And that was going to be my Question.
BTW my current setup has the CG 4.5" behind the sponson edge. That is my first measure,WAAAYYY off.

Heaving Earth
05-03-2013, 11:57 AM
And that was going to be my Question.
BTW my current setup has the CG 4.5" behind the sponson edge. That is my first measure,WAAAYYY off.
you arent running the battery in the nose?

srislash
05-03-2013, 11:59 AM
My motor is in the cockpit and the batts are on the sides pushed up as far forward as they can go.I am thinking I can get some batteries in the sponsons this way if I can dig that foam out.

Heaving Earth
05-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Ok I see. I noticed that you can get batteries in the sponsons, but there's no way of holding them down. I wonder if you dig out an opening in the foam maybe you can get them in there

srislash
05-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Yup,I'll have to get the flexi-dremal out and try. Perhaps a set of 3s 3300 Dynogy's will squeeze in there.I've been building the GF a new hair salon so the boats have been neglected.But it(salon) is done. I'll try to size it up later on.
And here is the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbB4JnZDcu0&feature=youtube_gdata

Heaving Earth
05-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Man, you must have the best hair....

Heaving Earth
05-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Boat looks decent

srislash
05-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Notice the flutter though,that is a X637 on it.And Sirius 1512 2650kv/SK-180 in it.

Heaving Earth
05-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah there's a bit of flutter there. But not too bad. I think if you can get the weight up a bit you'll be good to go

Heaving Earth
05-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Got to lay some carbon on the floor today. 98182

jim82
05-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Looking good!

Heaving Earth
05-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks man

SloHD
05-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Looks very good. I'm about to embark on the same endeavor. Keeping an eye on this build.

Heaving Earth
05-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Glad to see others are interested in doing stuff with these hulls still. I figured nobody would have interest in these things, ESpecially going thru the work I've been doing. Hope it's all worth it in the end -)

Heaving Earth
05-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Got the stuffing tube in. I did a float test and no leaks. The floor is significantly stiffer now. 9820098201

Heaving Earth
05-05-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm still Trying to improve my skills laying carbon weave. It was rather tricky in this hull but I think it's ok.

Brushless55
05-05-2013, 12:58 AM
looks good!

srislash
05-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Glad to see others are interested in doing stuff with these hulls still. I figured nobody would have interest in these things, ESpecially going thru the work I've been doing. Hope it's all worth it in the end -)I think there may have been some lurkers in the hydro section,I took a few pokes at getting advice about the Bud to no avail. Really glad to see some happening going on here. Nice work thus far.

Heaving Earth
05-05-2013, 05:40 AM
looks good!

Thanks brushless

Heaving Earth
05-05-2013, 05:45 AM
I think there may have been some lurkers in the hydro section,I took a few pokes at getting advice about the Bud to no avail. Really glad to see some happening going on here. Nice work thus far.

Thanks Sean. I feel like there is still potential left with these hulls. The changes I'm making I've yet to see done, mainly with the running hardware. Will it have any dramatic improvement? Soon find out I guess.
Also the whole hatch design thing is something that needs to be tackled IMO. I may also be the first to reinforce the floor from what I can tell. Shouldn't really change performance but should increase the life of this boat.
See if I can get the battery tray and servo mounted today.

srislash
05-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I had thoughts of a vacuum formed sub hatch for the Bud,I'm sure I read on the local forum that someone had one locally. The Bud has a lip that the cowl fit over which makes it most difficult to tape.The cheap hull I got had CF on the floor already(soso job) and I added the same strut as you have there.I have not adjusted it at all yet.I think the weight shifted will be first up.
Did you read Darrin's prep article? Been thinking of the pad mod in the future.Perhaps on the second hull.

The other consideration on the sub hatch will be ESC size. I have a SK-180 in it at the moment.I should ET it and see what kind of amps it is pulling.Perhaps a little 120 would suffice.

Hope all goes smooth with today's install,umm,err, Buster.

Heaving Earth
05-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Mehehe.
I have a couple of ideas for the subhatch. We will see what I come up with. Usually if I think about something long enough an idea pops into my head.
The lip on the cowl makes it tough, I wonder if cutting it off and going with pins would make it easier?

Heaving Earth
05-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Battery tray and servo mount installed 9829998300

tlandauer
05-05-2013, 10:29 PM
:rockon2:
Battery tray and servo mount installed 9829998300
Everything looks Dang good! Real nice CF layup. :thumbup:

Heaving Earth
05-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks Tim I'm still learning. It's tricky to make clean -)

srislash
05-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Looks good,so I see there is a lip on the hull on those ones too,

Heaving Earth
05-06-2013, 06:45 PM
So I've got the hardware all mounted. Also I used a couple of spare battery tray tabs on either side of access hatch. Then I super glued the access hatch back onto the tabs. It doesn't need to be overdone for two reasons. Future access, and the turbine will help hold it in place. My plan is to grab some carbon fiber decal and cover the rear deck, then go over that with my clear vinyl rock chip guard. That will cover the ugly hatch cutout and be waterproof. 98339983409834198342
Just waiting on the motor to install that. Then button up a few odds and ends and figure out this hatch issue

tlandauer
05-06-2013, 10:49 PM
So I've got the hardware all mounted. Also I used a couple of spare battery tray tabs on either side of access hatch. Then I super glued the access hatch back onto the tabs. It doesn't need to be overdone for two reasons. Future access, and the turbine will help hold it in place. My plan is to grab some carbon fiber decal and cover the rear deck, then go over that with my clear vinyl rock chip guard. That will cover the ugly hatch cutout and be waterproof. 98339983409834198342
Just waiting on the motor to install that. Then button up a few odds and ends and figure out this hatch issue
I am very jealous: it just looks too good, I like your idea of CF decal on the rear deck. I grabbed Darin's electric Elam, I was lucky since I think it is harder for me to convert than build one from the ground up. I also thought of using CF decal to cover the rear deck , in my case I had to lay a thin FG cloth to strengthen the vertical stabilizer root area, and I had to lay it on the outside.
Can't wait to see more progress on this project!:buttrock:

Heaving Earth
05-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Thanks homie.im Gettin there. Should be ready by the weekend to get it wet, I hope.
You got Darin's hull huh? Recently? Let's see some pics man

tlandauer
05-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks homie.im Gettin there. Should be ready by the weekend to get it wet, I hope.
You got Darin's hull huh? Recently? Let's see some pics man
Will take some pictures later for you, you can check his thread:http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?6621-Darin-s-ProBoat-Miss-Elam-Race-Prep
The hull is still in great shape after all the racing he's done. I grabbed the boat right after he posted in the F/S thread, was just plain lucky. Darin did all the hard work.
Now I can see the hulls are different, your access hatch is a brilliant idea, BTW, I am not running with the horizontal wing, Darin thought it actually affected the handling in a negative way, but it sure looks pretty and very scale though.

Rocstar
05-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Inlay turned out well. Looking good man!

Heaving Earth
05-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks Joel!
Tim what kinda speeds are you getting?

tlandauer
05-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks Joel!
Tim what kinda speeds are you getting?
Unfortunately I did not GPS the run, I am running with a Dynamite 1800 kv with a Seaking 120 ESC, x 642. I guess it runs in the low 40's. Darin used the 1500kv but with a bigger prop. Off hand I would say it is running a hair slower than a stock UL-1. I could be wrong though, the last time I ran the UL-1 was two years ago, so my perception could be off.

Heaving Earth
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
I was able to get a decal for the rear deck. 98379

Heaving Earth
05-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Here is what I did with the underside.will it peel? I dunno but whatev 98383
Looks better than before

tlandauer
05-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Looks better than before
Who cares if it will peel?!:lol:
If it looks this good, I won't mind if it peels, just another application.:just-kidding: That CF makes the hull look even more purposeful. Where did you get the CF decal? I saw some in an auto store.
Seriously, that Speed Master strut looks gorgeous mated to the new stuffing tube. They really compliment each other.
Sorry, I did not have the time yet to take some pics.

Brushless55
05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Looks better than before

looks cool, and I've thought about putting that on the roof of my 540i :drool:

Heaving Earth
05-07-2013, 09:44 PM
I grabbed the stuff at an auto parts store. It actually has some texture to it so it looks pretty cool. I trimmed it out with some black pinstripe, cause its just impossible to get a perfectly straight cut with scissors.
I have about 5ft left so I'm gonna wrap some parts of my car with it. I'll post some pics of that too -)

Heaving Earth
05-07-2013, 09:45 PM
I guess if it peels I'll just go to paint, but if I leave it out in the hot sun for a day it should be stuck pretty well.

Brushless55
05-07-2013, 09:58 PM
I grabbed the stuff at an auto parts store. It actually has some texture to it so it looks pretty cool. I trimmed it out with some black pinstripe, cause its just impossible to get a perfectly straight cut with scissors.
I have about 5ft left so I'm gonna wrap some parts of my car with it. I'll post some pics of that too -)

sweet!

monojeff
05-08-2013, 02:22 AM
I guess if it peels I'll just go to paint, but if I leave it out in the hot sun for a day it should be stuck pretty well.

Seal the edges with some ca or epoxy and it will help it stay on the bottom, otherwise yes it will peel.

Heaving Earth
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Here you go brushless
Before98414
After9841598416

Brushless55
05-08-2013, 02:08 PM
that is cool!

Heaving Earth
05-08-2013, 02:18 PM
yeah the stuff actually goes on really easy. it spreads with like, no bubbles, and a small amount of heat you can wrap it right around curves. now im looking at what else i can wrap lol. it kinda creates a monster….
the stuff i bought comes in a 6"x6' roll, but there are much wider rolls. im not sure if its this particular brand, i wasnt paying attention, but i got the stuff at auto zone.

Heaving Earth
05-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Man I think I need help, I'm addicted 9843898439

jim82
05-08-2013, 06:08 PM
I do like that..Get a good pic. of the whole boat now..top view..

Heaving Earth
05-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Like this?98440http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/4emanu2u.jpg

Rocstar
05-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I'm curious what part of the boat you use the hammer on? :laugh:

Heaving Earth
05-08-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm curious what part of the boat you use the hammer on? :laugh:
haha! thats a secret!:roflol:

Brushless55
05-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Man I think I need help, I'm addicted 9843898439

you have a very serious condition!
please send the rest of the wrap my way :roflol:

SloHD
05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
I think I'm just going to send my hull to you. :) Looks great!

Heaving Earth
05-08-2013, 06:41 PM
you have a very serious condition!
please send the rest of the wrap my way :roflol:
lol unfortunately there isnt much left, otherwise i would. just scraps man...

Heaving Earth
05-08-2013, 06:43 PM
I think I'm just going to send my hull to you. :) Looks great!
thanks man… ) im waiting for the motor now. thats all thats really left to put in to run this sucker.
this has been a fair amount of work…. at least it looks pretty lol

Brushless55
05-08-2013, 06:43 PM
lol unfortunately there isnt much left, otherwise i would. just scraps man...

:crying:

JrValente
05-08-2013, 07:12 PM
I bet the hammer is a failsafe for when ish goes wrong he throttles the boat into a million pieces and leaves no trail that there was ever a boat to begin with. Well at least that is what I would do with the hammer. Good thing the hammer is not near the work bench when I am working on breakable things.

tlandauer
05-08-2013, 07:15 PM
thanks man… ) im waiting for the motor now. thats all thats really left to put in to run this sucker.
this has been a fair amount of work…. at least it looks pretty lol
You should be proud of yourself, looks really great! I like the new "hi-Tec alloy" you "invented" for the nozzle of the turbine!:buttrock: Lockheed "Skunk Works" team would like to talk to you. :lol:

Heaving Earth
05-08-2013, 08:20 PM
You should be proud of yourself, looks really great! I like the new "hi-Tec alloy" you "invented" for the nozzle of the turbine!:buttrock: Lockheed "Skunk Works" team would like to talk to you. :lol:

Lol that's awesome. Hi-tec alloy indeed

srislash
05-08-2013, 09:59 PM
+1 on the CF turbine cowl. She looks good HeavingEarth

Heaving Earth
05-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Wow, lotta love for this boat!
And I thought I would get chuckles about doing this.... So cool to see how many appreciate and enjoy these.
Ch33rs guys!

Heaving Earth
05-10-2013, 03:04 PM
hey brushless i got a couple of decent sized pices left, maybe 6x6. want em?

Brushless55
05-10-2013, 04:15 PM
hey brushless i got a couple of decent sized pices left, maybe 6x6. want em?

bro you are awesome!
I could try them on my Beemer in the interior for a test sample to see how well it looks :biggrin:

Heaving Earth
05-10-2013, 04:45 PM
I miss my Beemer. Loved that car.
Just shoot me your address and I'll send what's left for you to noodle around with

Jason4636
05-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Heaving Earth - you said you had a problem? I think I had the problem. CF strips on my truck, part of my door panel and dash that was originally wood grain. My wife's laptop. And I still have a few feet left.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh526/jason4636/t1.jpg (http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/jason4636/media/t1.jpg.html)

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh526/jason4636/truck666.jpg (http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/jason4636/media/truck666.jpg.html)

Heaving Earth
05-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Sweet jay lol yeah the stuff is addicting isn't it? Looks good man nice truck

Jason4636
05-10-2013, 06:18 PM
To bad I just traded it in on a 2012 F350 4x4. The truck was a 2007 F150 Roush 500RC. It was #12 of 65 made. I wanted to keep it, but my ford house in town screwed my motor up. And while it was still running, I traded it in at a different ford house.

Gabe_k
05-10-2013, 06:22 PM
this is a rad boat! good job man

Gabe_k
05-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Question: How come nobody makes Mini Hydro style boats? I would love to have a mini version of Miss Elstrom.. I know theres a mini hydro out there but it doesnt have the wing on the back which looks awesome imo. I want one the same size that they have the aquacraft mini wild cat and the proboat mini c. Is there anything out there like that?

Heaving Earth
05-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks. I don't know of any mini scale looking hydros.... Be cool tho

Heaving Earth
05-10-2013, 06:40 PM
I got the motor in finally. It's an aquacraft 1800kv. Hopefully I can put it in the water this weekend if the rain holds off 98533

monojeff
05-10-2013, 06:55 PM
If guys are wanting the carbon fiber vinyl I can start to stock it and cut it down to size.
You can also buy it for somewhat of a decent price on ebay or some websites sell smaller sizes.
Not all carbon vinyl is created equal I would only use (Avery 9My personal choice) 3m or Hexis
Comes is 60" width by however long you'd want it. Can be cut down to any size or shape.

Word of advice on the interior panels it does not stick to textures surfaces or flat paint very well.
Also when heating and stretching you do not want to heat and stretch the areas where you will be cutting it will most likely eventually fail by coming loose or peeling back.
Also always use a sharp knife any jagged edge will also be potential for failures.

it certainly does add a lot of character to things if done tastefully.

Keep up the good work on the boat they are fun!

Heaving Earth
05-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Ok I got it out this morning.
5s run with aq 1800kv.
Firstly, I have to say this motor is excellent. Plenty of power and when I brought it in the motor was barely warm. Very happy.
As for the boat, it did ok, but as mentioned I will be adding weight in the sponsons. The new strut added plenty of lift, but she was still doing wheeling. I figure I was in the high forties at least. Turning was a bit wide, could be the right side mounted rudder, but I am going to fabricate another turn fin to try. Overall the boat looks nice and performs how I remember my bl version. So I will be continuing my mods and I think it will be a decent boat. Justforfun

Heaving Earth
05-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Ok so to get weight up front here's what I did.
Firstly my 2s packs weight 228 grams, just under 8 oz.
I went and grabbed some 4oz fishing weights. I want two in each sponson. Instead of just dropping them in and squirting glue in there and hoping for the best, I took pool noodle and hollowed out some pieces big enough to hold the weights but small enough to get into the sponsons. Then just put in weights and wrap with tape. Now I don't have lead weights bouncing around and potentially damaging the hull. Then I just dropped them into the sponsons, they slid right in.
Now to keep them all the way in the front and not moving around, I held the boat nose down and took about 2 ft x 10" pieces of bubble wrap, rolled it up and forced it into the sponsons until no more would go in. Now I shook the boat violently, and nothing. Nice and tight. I figure this adds some floatation as well. Also I can remove everything if I want. Just grab the bubble wrap, pull it out, then dump out the weights. Although I Probly won't.
I should also mention that my cog moved up a full 2 inches. Should be an improvement. I can always add more if needed -$

SloHD
05-11-2013, 04:21 PM
You going to seal up the back of the hatch? Or do you think it's not needed?

Heaving Earth
05-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Well I've been struggling to figure that out. I've tried a few ideas that went nowhere. Right now I have a temporary thing goin till I figure out a watertight seal idea. It's tricky.

SloHD
05-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't have mine yet, otherwise I'd might be able to give some insight. I should get it Tuesday, I managed to find one never used, even with the antenna still taped down...

I'd imagine you want to seal it at the front of the turbine so you still have that open look at the rear.

Heaving Earth
05-11-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm trying to figure how to seal it with a subhatch. I'm not relying on the hatch itself for any sealing purpose

SloHD
05-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Oh duh, yea I see what you're saying. Hmm

Maybe I missed it but did you use the stock flex shaft?

Heaving Earth
05-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Oh duh, yea I see what you're saying. Hmm

Maybe I missed it but did you use the stock flex shaft?

No I ripped the stuffing tube and stock strut out and replaced with speedmaster sport 21 strut and .150 cable.

Heaving Earth
05-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Update.
I got out this morning.
With a full lb of weight added to the front, upon takeoff, it does the old ul1 thing. Nose goes under, pop back up then throttle it.
I can say that once on a plane it was a different boat. Full throttle straight aways the boat was stuck to the water. The turns were still a bit jumpy, so I need to work on that. I think the weight is sufficient and I will be working on a new turn fin to see what results that may yield.
I have achieved a scale hydro that gets into the high 40s I would estimate based on many gps runs with my other boats. Just a guess tho. Almost there with this thing. I think I need to grab some higher mah packs, as I'm using 4400 5s packs which I generally use for parallel running. Maybe some nanotech packs over 5000.
Anyways that's where I'm at

tlandauer
05-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Update.
I got out this morning.
With a full lb of weight added to the front, upon takeoff, it does the old ul1 thing. Nose goes under, pop back up then throttle it.
I can say that once on a plane it was a different boat. Full throttle straight aways the boat was stuck to the water. The turns were still a bit jumpy, so I need to work on that. I think the weight is sufficient and I will be working on a new turn fin to see what results that may yield.
I have achieved a scale hydro that gets into the high 40s I would estimate based on many gps runs with my other boats. Just a guess tho. Almost there with this thing. I think I need to grab some higher mah packs, as I'm using 4400 5s packs which I generally use for parallel running. Maybe some nanotech packs over 5000.
Anyways that's where I'm at
That is awsome! Wish I could be there to see the run!

Heaving Earth
05-12-2013, 03:12 PM
I'll get some vid Soon Tim -)

Heaving Earth
05-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Here's the turn fin I fabricated today. See how this one does 98707

Brushless55
05-12-2013, 11:44 PM
owh, thats purdy!

monojeff
05-12-2013, 11:54 PM
New fin should help out a ton!
I can hold mine down in the turn full tilt no problem unless very choppy race water. I am using a UL-1 fin on mine.
I think the full lb in the nose might be a bit much just over 1/2 lb seams to be my boats sweet spot.
If I remember correctly my boat weight is around 5 3/4lbs or so but not 100% sure I think my old thread says the weight I had it at and added slight bit more after that for windy rough days.
Anything over 45-47mph and the boat is certainly a handful but still handles well.
The other thing I have done that works well is put some tape on the bottom of the boat from the front canard all the way back past the second break it levels off the bottom of the boat and takes away a ton of the lift that was built into the boat.
PB certainly didn't build the boat for 40+mph but hey it still does well for me at close to 50.

Heaving Earth
05-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks Jeff I may remove a bit of weight. Easy enough anyways

Heaving Earth
05-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Ok another update.
First lap the nose was coming up, so I knew the angle of my turn fin was off, and lifting, so a quick adjustment and back in. This time she stayed on the water and turns were night and day. She stayed planted with no wobbling and turning radius was much tighter, so I will be staying with this fin. I may take a bit of weight out and see if that is better or worse but right now the boat is 100x better than my first run

Heaving Earth
05-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Turning was done at wot I should mention

tlandauer
05-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Here's the turn fin I fabricated today. See how this one does 98707
Looks great,:buttrock: may I ask where you got the blade? The polishing is a nice touch.:thumbup:

Heaving Earth
05-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks Tim. I fabricated the blade out of some aluminum stock I have then sanded and polished with Dremel

tlandauer
05-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks Tim. I fabricated the blade out of some aluminum stock I have then sanded and polished with Dremel
All I can say is: WOW!! Hahaha, may be I SHOULD QUIT after all! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Heaving Earth
05-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Hehe hey man I feel that way when I see some of the boats certain members here and at kbb forums are building. There are honestly some ridiculous builds out there.
I'm just happy it works well lol
The stock fin is absolute rubbish

Heaving Earth
05-15-2013, 06:59 PM
back out today. this thing kicks ass…. seriously it handles better now than my ul1 ever did. im thinking of propping up a bit. i shot a video, unfortunately you cant see it making turns, it just goes out of the cameras window for the turns -(
def very happy with it

Brushless55
05-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Awesome man!
I keep hearing great things about these hulls.....

tlandauer
05-15-2013, 09:01 PM
back out today. this thing kicks ass…. seriously it handles better now than my ul1 ever did. im thinking of propping up a bit. i shot a video, unfortunately you cant see it making turns, it just goes out of the cameras window for the turns -(
def very happy with it
:rockon2: Love to see when you have a chance! I have enjoyed following this thread!:thumbup:

Heaving Earth
05-16-2013, 06:10 PM
heres a quick video of it running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ZXQZnhAuM

tlandauer
05-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Love it, that boat looks gorgeous in motion. You really got her dialed in, congrats! :rockon2:
That's a beautiful place to have for boating!

Heaving Earth
05-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Thanx Tim -).
How fast would you say it looks? It's dialed in nicely...
Yup nice little private spot to run

tlandauer
05-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanx Tim -).
I am never good at guessing the speed, but she is running faster than my stock UL-1 for sure, I would but the speed at no less than 45mph.
I got some catching up to do with my Miss Elam. Right now I am waiting to have real time on my hands to do a bit of beautification work and wanting to re-install the horizontal wing. Got some metal truss from the nitro counter part, since the ones for BL is no longer in production.

Heaving Earth
05-16-2013, 06:51 PM
I hear ya. The rear wing doesn't seem to have any negative effects for me

tlandauer
05-16-2013, 06:57 PM
I hear ya. The rear wing doesn't seem to have any negative effects for me
Thanks for letting me know!

Brushless55
05-16-2013, 07:09 PM

looks like a really good LSH boat
what prop are you using and is this hull hard to tape up?

Heaving Earth
05-16-2013, 07:21 PM
The prop is an x440/3, and currently I'm using a piece of pool noodle as a sub hatch. It's not water tight but I haven't come up with a way to make it yet. It's a little bit of a pain to tape, but I don't tape the hatch itself

Brushless55
05-16-2013, 07:42 PM
The prop is an x440/3, and currently I'm using a piece of pool noodle as a sub hatch. It's not water tight but I haven't come up with a way to make it yet. It's a little bit of a pain to tape, but I don't tape the hatch itself

and that's with a 1800kv motor on 5s or 4s

Heaving Earth
05-16-2013, 07:52 PM
That's on 5s

SloHD
05-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Sorry for the newbie question but I was wondering how you tackled removing the radio box? Dremmel I assume?... I just don't want to go ripping stuff out and mess up the hull.

Heaving Earth
05-16-2013, 08:26 PM
I just used a heat gun and muscle to get it out. The heat loosens the glue and makes the plastic pliable enough to get out

SloHD
05-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Cool. Thanks for the quick reply. Hmm, I don't have a heat gun...

Heaving Earth
05-16-2013, 09:24 PM
You can use a hair dryer. Takes a bit longer but it works

jim82
05-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Thanx Tim -).
Looks very nice bro!! I would say thats gotta be high 50's..

Heaving Earth
05-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanx Jim, guess I need to gps it. I was thinking right around 50 or so

srislash
05-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Lookin' GOOOD!!!:rockon2:

So where is CG there then?If you don't mind.

Heaving Earth
05-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Thanx Sean, I'll measure the cog for you tomorrow. I dunno if you saw my earlier posts where I added weight to the front?

srislash
05-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanx Sean, I'll measure the cog for you tomorrow. I dunno if you saw my earlier posts where I added weight to the front? I am probably lagging behind,no internet lately(thanks roomie). I appreciate it BUUDDDY,LOL.
BTW I figure I can slide a pair of 3s Dinogy 2650mah into the sponsons. Perhaps some creative two part foam work will hold them:spy:

Heaving Earth
05-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Gps of 49.3 today. That's on glass. I figure a slight ripple and I hit 50. It is more stable than my ul1 at that speed. Of course I added 1lb of weight to the sponson tips, and running 5s so there an added few grams of weight. I shot new vid I'll post

Heaving Earth
05-19-2013, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5iLPYnGv7w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

srislash
05-19-2013, 12:29 PM
That is looking great...

tlandauer
05-19-2013, 01:07 PM
:bowdown: I am speechless...
Man, you got yourself a fantastic running hydro! Congrats from the bottom of my heart! :thumbup:

Heaving Earth
05-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Sean cg is at 11.50" from transom

Heaving Earth
05-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Tim, thanks brutha! She got a little more in her I think. Love the look of this one

Peter A
05-20-2013, 02:41 AM
Hi, just thought I'd put up a pic of my elam. I chopped down the cowl, as even with the bubble gone and a false bottom in the intake it seemed to generate a lot of lift. The strut is of my own making. It has 180 gramms of lead in the wing which is also solid fille with resin. The sponsons have cf in the bottom to strengthen bec. our bouys keep jumping out and breaking this boat!!9912699127

Heaving Earth
05-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Lol! Looks good Pete -)

Heaving Earth
05-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Peter, it looks like you also used a different turn fin than stock. Man, making a bracket for that damn thing was the hardest part lol... For me anyways. Angle of the badangle was weird ha

Peter A
05-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Peter, it looks like you also used a different turn fin than stock. Man, making a bracket for that damn thing was the hardest part lol... For me anyways. Angle of the badangle was weird ha

That is the turn fin that came with the boat, I got the boat from another club member who han only run the boat stock on Nimh packs. I did most of the mods Darin did in his build thread, broke it, fixed it, broke it again 2nd run after those pics, fixed it, broke it again( just a little), damn bouys keep jumping at it!! It's fairly solid but pretty heavy now and can still blow over at speed. Btw our bouys are large net floats, we got sick of fixing floats, now they break the boats!

monojeff
05-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Pete loving the cowl I'm doing very similar mod to mine.
Damn rtr boats break just from running them hard so bouys can be disasterous I know.
The carnage I've been through with mine suprised it's held up this long.
Weight is certainly your friend with the small boats when you push them 45+

Peter A
05-21-2013, 11:58 PM
The top of the cowl is the top of the original intake, I had already put a false floor in the intake tunnel so just cut it down to there and hacked a piece of the top, glued and bogged. Makes it all easier to tape down too!

Megabiker98
05-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Wow, take that vid down!!!! I'm gonna buy my own!!! Hahahaha that looks incredibly cool! Just read through almost the whom thread, love the boat!!!

Heaving Earth
05-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks man

SloHD
05-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Just wanted to show off a little of my progress. Hope you don't mind... This is my first build and this thread has helped me alot. Thanks Heaving!

SEE POST BELOW

Heaving Earth
05-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Lookin good! Can we see the inside?
Looks like you got the silver carbon vinyl

SloHD
05-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks! Yes I went with silver CF. :) I haven't done much to the inside except the demo. I got some carbon Kevlar to lay down, but I'm dreading laying it down. Afraid I will mess it up. Lol, thinking about leaving the floor board stock and see how it goes. If I do lay it down, ill probably just go down the center tunnel area instead of the whole boat...

I did hack into the bottom like you did. Reinforce the transom, and filled in with a piece of graphite. I left the stock tube in, and just extended it. I'm waiting on a few things including the motor mount to arrive.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/thewilsons888/5444D0EF-6092-4DE9-83E4-2360E121C708-13254-0000171ED55FFB00.jpg

Heaving Earth
06-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks! Yes I went with silver CF. :) I haven't done much to the inside except the demo. I got some carbon Kevlar to lay down, but I'm dreading laying it down. Afraid I will mess it up. Lol, thinking about leaving the floor board stock and see how it goes. If I do lay it down, ill probably just go down the center tunnel area instead of the whole boat...

I did hack into the bottom like you did. Reinforce the transom, and filled in with a piece of graphite. I left the stock tube in, and just extended it. I'm waiting on a few things including the motor mount to arrive.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/thewilsons888/5444D0EF-6092-4DE9-83E4-2360E121C708-13254-0000171ED55FFB00.jpg

Hey dude I just noticed this post... Looks good how is it progressing? Have you run it yet?

Heaving Earth
06-13-2013, 06:54 PM
I picked up a grim L40/57/3 to try. I forgot how thick the blades are and how damn hard they are you file! The blades need alot of thinning, and the titanium makes it tons of work haha
I figure I should gain a couple mph by switching from the 440/3

SloHD
06-14-2013, 12:10 AM
I picked up a grim L40/57/3 to try. I forgot how thick the blades are and how damn hard they are you file! The blades need alot of thinning, and the titanium makes it tons of work haha
I figure I should gain a couple mph by switching from the 440/3

And we said it's not about speed with this one. :blah::lol:

So yea I am slowly making progress. Just need to install the 1800kv 60a setup from my mystic 29 and I need to order a new 4s lipo as the one I have is puffed and I do not want to use it anymore. Got to get some lead up front as well. I should be in the water by the end of next week. I have a youtube account but never uploaded a video before. Hopefully I can manage that and post it up when I get out.

Overall I am okay with the Kevlar inlay. It came out absolutely terrible compared to what I see on here and your inlay you did. I did not use the right epoxy, I just used some cheap loc tite epoxy I already had. To be honest I could of done more research and practiced but I got a niche one late night and just winged it. In the end I am pleased with it because it stiffened up the hull so good, and I guess it looks ok. Next time I'm sure I will do better hopefully. I'll post a pic when I get the combo installed. :smile:

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/thewilsons888/BA26C52A-EC95-4181-A732-70FA0AAB991F-4564-0000076250EC906E-1.jpg (http://s678.photobucket.com/user/thewilsons888/media/BA26C52A-EC95-4181-A732-70FA0AAB991F-4564-0000076250EC906E-1.jpg.html)

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/thewilsons888/AED066D3-EEDD-4F24-BADD-0725CF99E3A9-4564-000007626432CE98.jpg (http://s678.photobucket.com/user/thewilsons888/media/AED066D3-EEDD-4F24-BADD-0725CF99E3A9-4564-000007626432CE98.jpg.html)

SloHD
06-14-2013, 12:33 AM
I don't think you ever let us see yours all totally finished? Can't really see her in the video. :bounce:

Heaving Earth
06-14-2013, 06:35 PM
I'll shoot a few photos for ya .
Yours is looking good to me

Heaving Earth
06-14-2013, 06:42 PM
And we said it's not about speed with this one. :blah::lol:

So yea I am slowly making progress. Just need to install the 1800kv 60a setup from my mystic 29 and I need to order a new 4s lipo as the one I have is puffed and I do not want to use it anymore. Got to get some lead up front as well. I should be in the water by the end of next week. I have a youtube account but never uploaded a video before. Hopefully I can manage that and post it up when I get out.

Overall I am okay with the Kevlar inlay. It came out absolutely terrible compared to what I see on here and your inlay you did. I did not use the right epoxy, I just used some cheap loc tite epoxy I already had. To be honest I could of done more research and practiced but I got a niche one late night and just winged it. In the end I am pleased with it because it stiffened up the hull so good, and I guess it looks ok. Next time I'm sure I will do better hopefully. I'll post a pic when I get the combo installed. :smile:

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/thewilsons888/BA26C52A-EC95-4181-A732-70FA0AAB991F-4564-0000076250EC906E-1.jpg (http://s678.photobucket.com/user/thewilsons888/media/BA26C52A-EC95-4181-A732-70FA0AAB991F-4564-0000076250EC906E-1.jpg.html)

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/thewilsons888/AED066D3-EEDD-4F24-BADD-0725CF99E3A9-4564-000007626432CE98.jpg (http://s678.photobucket.com/user/thewilsons888/media/AED066D3-EEDD-4F24-BADD-0725CF99E3A9-4564-000007626432CE98.jpg.html)

On 4s you'll prolly be somewhere in the mid to low 40s depending on the prop, so you prolly don't need as much weight up front as I put in. I used a full pound. You might try 8oz, I would actually like to see those results

Heaving Earth
06-14-2013, 08:54 PM

SloHD
06-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Sweet man yours looks good too. Thanks for the pics. The prop you see in my pic is a Prather 215. 40ish mph is about what I figured and fast enough for me with it. I'm not looking for super speed. I was going to start out at 12 oz of weight but you might be right about starting at 8oz. After I get a run or 2 in I think I will put in a new stuffing tube so it'll be nice and solid. I ordered a cheap lipo today so just waiting to receive it and finish up. Ill post up my results for sure.

bikergreen
06-15-2013, 03:59 AM
Heaving: Could you give me a measurement from you set up from bottom of hull to the the strut? I am just getting ready to mount up hardware on my Miss bud conversion and would be good to have a starting point. Thanks!

SloHD
06-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Heaving: Could you give me a measurement from you set up from bottom of hull to the the strut? I am just getting ready to mount up hardware on my Miss bud conversion and would be good to have a starting point. Thanks!

5/8 of an inch centerline is where mine is at.

Heaving Earth
06-15-2013, 12:17 PM
5/8 of an inch centerline is where mine is at.

Huh, that's exactly where mine is at. Bottom of hull to centerline of shaft is 5/8

bikergreen
06-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Huh, that's exactly where mine is at. Bottom of hull to centerline of shaft is 5/8

Awesome guys thanks! Can't wait to get mine on the water! Always wanted one of these when I was younger.

Heaving Earth
06-15-2013, 11:42 PM
Well after too much work on this prop, it's done. Man that titanium is hard whew!
I'll get out tomorrow for a run and report on this prop. It got me 50 on my stock ul1

Heaving Earth
06-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Awesome guys thanks! Can't wait to get mine on the water! Always wanted one of these when I was younger.

Dude... Pics

bikergreen
06-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Dude... Pics

I posted some of what I'm up to here: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?41800-My-Projects-Re-Builds-Repairs-and-More

SloHD
06-23-2013, 12:07 AM
I got it out for a quick test run while I was running some errands with the wife today. I put 8oz of 3/8" rod coupling's. 3 couplings on each side shoved to the front with bubble wrap. I'm thinking that I will take the couplings out for the next test run tho. I'm thinking since I used such thick epoxy that the extra 8oz's is too much. I know it'll move the CG back but I want to try it anyway. And I definently need a better turn fin. This thing don't turn for crap, I had to dodge alot of lily's so I couldn't really get a long straight run. In the video you can tell she weighs too much but I was just happy to get it wet. I plan on trying an x642 prop next time out. Next run will be more dedicated and Ill put it through a full pack or two. Any advice is greatly appreciated...
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=pD1HjtKwYFc&feature=plcp

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/thewilsons888/F1668430-CD1D-4CBA-A1CA-04818F06E330-10164-00001121F64D9CA4.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/thewilsons888/5E99B2B5-750D-490E-84DA-133F2AAF308A-10164-000011220BF2F868.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/thewilsons888/D20A15BC-EF50-46E7-A21F-A2A87164CDD6-10164-000011224FFC6A87.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/thewilsons888/9AF6F470-A293-4E98-A23B-608D8E8945D4-10164-00001129C49C3D88.jpg

SloHD
06-23-2013, 12:18 AM
How did the new prop run Heaving? Any chance you know what the total rtr weight is of your Elam?

Heaving Earth
06-23-2013, 12:22 AM
What turn fin are you using?
The 40/57 was kinda nuts. Haven't got a great run in with it yet. It seems like almost too much. So far it's been unstable with it, and it wants to bring the nose out of the water

SloHD
06-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Stock turn fin.

Heaving Earth
06-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Ok yeah the stock fin is just terrible. Def grab a ul1 fin

SloHD
07-12-2013, 09:28 PM
No weight in the front! Decided to go with a p220 prop, and rounded off bottom corner of the strut mount. Ul1 2mm black fin. She wieghs exactly 6 lb.'s. Feeling way better with this run.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=k0tG_zWPfGA

Heaving Earth
07-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Sweet!

Scamp73
01-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Hi, just thought I'd put up a pic of my elam. I chopped down the cowl, as even with the bubble gone and a false bottom in the intake it seemed to generate a lot of lift. The strut is of my own making. It has 180 gramms of lead in the wing which is also solid fille with resin. The sponsons have cf in the bottom to strengthen bec. our bouys keep jumping out and breaking this boat!!9912699127

Peter A, how did you make your cowl that way?

Scamp73
01-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Sorry, I guess I just needed to read on. BTW guys.. I have the electric version and changed it over to the UL-1 electronics and have reached 51mph gps'd with her. I am still running the stock strut and turn fin and my boat handles way better than my UL-1. I do run the boat with a hand held gps in the nose to try and keep her down. I am still looking for a good way to seal the back around the dummy turbine exhaust.