PDA

View Full Version : Proboat limp home mode question

St3alth_Frenzy
04-28-2013, 09:43 PM
So, when my boat battery dies durring a run, it enters the limp-home mode ( small bursts of throttle). I use this mode to recover my boat, and I'm wondering how long the mode lasts. as on my stampede the esc will limp for a short period of time then shut off compleatly. Will the proboat esc do this ?

macace123
04-29-2013, 08:07 PM
What kind of batterys are you running

St3alth_Frenzy
04-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Im running TeamGreatHobbies 5000mah 50c batteries in series for 4s. why?

Heaving Earth
04-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Yeah the proboat esc will do this. The best thing is when it gets to limp mode is to slowly bring it in. If you hold full throttle and limp it in it usually cuts off power sooner. It really depends how much juice the batteries can still deliver after the esc decides they are in lvc territory

macace123
04-30-2013, 10:10 AM
it sounds like your running your batteries down to low i don't know witch boat your running but you could be damaging the batteries or you may need a better ESC stock is okay run times should not be more than 6 minutes. i run 4s in series 5000mah 45c and can run 8 minutes at 100% power.

St3alth_Frenzy
04-30-2013, 11:07 AM
its a stock mystic 29, with a octura 445. My runtimes are around 6-7 mins. Also, when I check the voltage of the batteries after I enter limp home, they are still around 3.4v/cell.

Heaving Earth
04-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Battery voltage drops under load.

St3alth_Frenzy
04-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Battery voltage drops under load.

I know that lol :thumbup1:

Heaving Earth
04-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Ok. I dunno I think I answered your question

hydro_pyro
04-30-2013, 04:08 PM
By the time the cutoff kicks in, you're already on the threshold of damaging your packs from over-discharge.

lenny
04-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Hi,
You do not want the cells to go lower than 3.75v. per cell.
And you want to have 25% still in the pack after a run so it does not stress the pack to much,
Or you may make the cells swell up and ruin them.
What is your low volt set at ?
And if you are not using one,
You should time your runs to 4 to 5 minutes,
And check what the cells read after the timed run.

its a stock mystic 29, with a octura 445. My runtimes are around 6-7 mins. Also, when I check the voltage of the batteries after I enter limp home, they are still around 3.4v/cell.

bob_t
04-30-2013, 08:51 PM
If it is the stock PB esc, you are hitting the lvc .... there is no "limp home mode".... the esc is telling you its a little bit past time to quit! It senses low voltage and drops to idle (shuts off). You let off the trigger, the batteries rebound (ever so slightly), and hit the trigger again, the batteries are now just above the lvc, so you get a "quick burst", and the batteries drop below the lvc, and it shuts off, and the cycle repeats until the rebound voltage is below the lvc, then it will be "dead". You can repeat this cycle a couple of times, but you are hurting your batteries because each time you are draining them lower and lower. This is exactly what Heaving Earth was saying. If you set your lvc to "low" and use lipos, you will really kill your batteries because the lvc is then well below the "point of no return", for lipos. You should time your runs better so that you don't get into the lvc range of the esc. After running the boat many times you should begin to develop a "sense" or intuition of when the batteries are starting to dump.

St3alth_Frenzy
04-30-2013, 10:13 PM
If it is the stock PB esc, you are hitting the lvc .... there is no "limp home mode".... the esc is telling you its a little bit past time to quit! It senses low voltage and drops to idle (shuts off). You let off the trigger, the batteries rebound (ever so slightly), and hit the trigger again, the batteries are now just above the lvc, so you get a "quick burst", and the batteries drop below the lvc, and it shuts off, and the cycle repeats until the rebound voltage is below the lvc, then it will be "dead". You can repeat this cycle a couple of times, but you are hurting your batteries because each time you are draining them lower and lower. This is exactly what Heaving Earth was saying. If you set your lvc to "low" and use lipos, you will really kill your batteries because the lvc is then well below the "point of no return", for lipos. You should time your runs better so that you don't get into the lvc range of the esc. After running the boat many times you should begin to develop a "sense" or intuition of when the batteries are starting to dump.

Thanks this explains everything. I thought that the proboat esc had a mode that it would enter when the batteries where close to Lvc. Just today I noticed that the packs started "dumping" and was able to bring it in. Also, the Lvc is set to high wich is 3.4v.