PDA

View Full Version : BJ29 Hull Reinforcement

<AJ>
04-23-2013, 02:44 AM
Hope I've posted this in the correct place, I've just purchased a BJ29 and would like to reinforce the hull, I've read about apoxying the inside of hull and to use carbon fibre matting, I would like some guidance on what parts of hull require the carbon fibre. If anyone has any pictures I would be very grateful.

Regards

AJ

J.W. Pepper
04-27-2013, 01:35 AM
Hope I've posted this in the correct place, I've just purchased a BJ29 and would like to reinforce the hull, I've read about apoxying the inside of hull and to use carbon fibre matting, I would like some guidance on what parts of hull require the carbon fibre. If anyone has any pictures I would be very grateful.

Regards

AJ

Here's a thread on that subject... http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?40914-How-Do-You-Protect-The-Wood-Interiors-of-AQ-amp-PB-FE-boats

I've got this kit... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bondo-Fiberglass-Resin-Repair-Kit-1-2pt/17056867, going to tie the battery tray to hull & reinforce the motor mount area. Then follow the advice given.

<AJ>
04-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Cheers, I've now used thinned epoxy to protect the woodwork, fibre glassed all the hull seams I can get to and also filled the tips of the sponsons with expanding foam. She is all ready for her maidan voyage on Sunday afternoon now

AlanD
04-30-2013, 07:13 AM
AJ, what expanding foam did you use? I'm looking for a 2 part foam to do the same thing but I don't want to get too much expansion once I pour it.

angrycat
07-20-2013, 11:30 AM
AJ, what expanding foam did you use? I'm looking for a 2 part foam to do the same thing but I don't want to get too much expansion once I pour it.
kintecracing.com and ose both have it i believe

AlanD
10-21-2013, 04:17 PM
The epoxy they use is useless. Personally, I would not want the weight of the battery directly on the sponson. So my vote is no, put some sort of tray in and attach your batteries to it. Depending on what motor, batteries or upgraded components you may add later will mean your center of gravity will change a little. My batteries are far forward on the tray so I'd prefer if the trays were further forward. If yours are loose now, then you might want to choose a more ideal location if you have to glass them back in.

ray schrauwen
10-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Say goodbye to wood 4-ever.

lenny
10-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Hi from Spain,

First of all thanks to everybody for all this fantastic place to talk about. On the other hand I received my new MG 29 with the motor frame broken and really bad glued. After that I applied a carbon fiber coat with epoxy and put the frame again and now I have to place the batteries trays. Do you think are neccesary or I could to put the batteries directly into the spoonson?106754106755

Say goodbye to wood 4-ever.

Ray the boat looks real good. :tiphat:

:iagree:
I would do what Ray has done and do the whole hull in the CF,
The hull can use the added weight and needs to be strengthened at all the seam anyway.
I think that the lower CG will help the hull ride a lot better to,
Also with the cells lower in the sponsons you would have more room for a bigger mah cells to if you want.
And it will be a lot easier to get the cells in and out of the hull to.

ray schrauwen
10-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Thx guys. I ran 4S2P 3000mah 30C zippies at the MI cup.

Cinnabun
10-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I glasses my seams and filled the hull with expanding foam about 7" behind the sponson tips. I also foamed the center between the sponsons for support and to stop the deck from flexing which would cause gelcoat cracks.