PDA

View Full Version : Hull Cracked, possible to repair?

Mecka1990
04-22-2013, 02:25 AM
hi guys, i got a big problem :(

my 41" zonda Cat cracked on the back, right by the rudder, throuth the holes of the rudder and to the side, have no idea how to fixx, maybe someone can help me and got an idea how and with what i can repair that, the hull is made of carbon and keflar and the rudder got now room, shoud i first take the rudder down and then fix it or fix it right with the rudder? What material will i need?

sorry my english ist really not the best haha

Rumdog
04-22-2013, 09:10 AM
I'm sure it can be fixed. Post some pics so we can advise the proper fix.

iridebikes247
04-22-2013, 06:34 PM
You mean the rudder support I'm guessing? Get some west systems epoxy and carbon kevlar from keith bradley boats for starters. Filling and creating just a block of epoxy isn't really ideal lol

Mecka1990
04-25-2013, 03:32 PM
i did it, must test my boat tomorrow :)
i get some epoxy that harden after 3 hours, some fiberglass (form like a tape), first i go over the whole back and bottom with epoxy, then i put the fiberglass into the epoxy and after that i stick it on the boat over the cracked back, i waited about 18 hours and then i did this again about 2 times, the hull is now a little bit heavyer at the back but its ok, i drilled the holes and mounted my rudder again and paint the whole back because i have polish it before with sandpaper (or how its called) and the standart paint was gone, so i painted the back of the boat black, looks not that good but still better as a hull that doesnt drives :p need to get a very nice airbrusher to make something amazing on it :p

Chrisg81983
04-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Any type of epoxy that hardens after 3hrs is NOT what you want for the best possible repair. West systems slow cure is a very good epoxy and will work for anything you will need to do.

Rumdog
04-26-2013, 08:46 AM
3 hour may not be the best, but it will definitely get the job done.

Mecka1990
04-26-2013, 08:49 AM
its hard like a stone and i think it will never crack again, haha