PDA

View Full Version : Hatch mod

Test0055
06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I wanted a waterproof hatch without the hassle of using tape. I also didn't like the hatch locking system so I made a new one that is secure and now there's no need for tape.

Hatch seal
--------------
1. Run a bead of silicone around the hatch seat on the boat.
2. Dress the hatch in food wrapping plastic and fit hatch to boat (the plastic makes the silicone not stick to the hatch)
3. When silicone has cured, remove hatch and remove plastic wrapping from hatch,,,,
4. There you go, a perfect imprint in the silicone and a snug fitting hatch.

Hatch lock mechanism
------------------------------
1. Remove original locking system both from boat and hatch
2. glue a (4mm) blind nut to some plywood and glue the plywood to the underside of the hatch seat in locking mechanism position
3. Put a (4mm) bolt in the hatch, Use O-ring to keep bolt in place
4....Now you have an easy bolt on hatch that won't come off unintentionally.

rocket-ron
06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I used the silcone system on my Mini V,and it works pretty well. I used grease on the hatch,then set it in the silcone bead. Vasilene,will work also. I still use tape on the SV27 though. I like the extra protection it gives in a flip,to keep things water tight,and secure. Don't count on the front pin,or a latch system to keep the hatch on in a high speed flip/blowover. It can get pretty violent! Ron

Diegoboy
06-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Pretty cool

62 bugzilla
06-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Nice job test0055 cool idea that I might give a shot but like the other comment you might want to beef up the front pin on the hatch or ad a hinge of some sort to make sure the front doesn't come loose. Thanx alot now you added another thing to my todo list just what I needed. LOL

jmh2002
10-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Kintec also make an upgraded Hatch Latch which is very similar to the above one:

http://www.kintecracing.com/Supervee_27_upgrades.html

AlanN
10-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Heck I just cut a piece of thick walled fuel tubing to go in the hatch hole.

ibyte
10-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Test 0055 just did your mod with the silocone, thank you it works really well and seats the hatch snug, taping the hatch will only assure a better water seal. good mod well thought out:thumbup1:

BBZRacing1
10-14-2008, 11:03 PM
I used caulking cord,works get. Home depot Hatch will seat snug no issue. :beerchug: