PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coats?

Basstronics
04-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Im getting ready to start painting my boats. In my quest for paints I came across Auto Air. For around $7 I can buy multiple colors. These are water based paints which are compatible with polyurethane clears.

http://www.autoaircolors.com/

Now what Im looking for is a good clear that will be rock hard, not yellow, not pull off with tape- AND wont break the bank.

Im looking to order more colors from Summit Racing. I see they have a Summit branded clear coat. I see something "High Solids", "medium solids" and "2 stage low 2.1 VOC". I am basically paint stupid. Would any of these summit branded ones work well? If so what all do I need to accompany them? The quarts were like $20-22. I think I need to buy other supporting products but I dont know what?

If there isnt anything available via Summit Racing then what would you suggest? Im looking for something fairly easy to do but better results than spray bomb. I am going for an ultra smooth good finish, like paint under glass but not at a crazy thickness of clear.

larryrose11
04-14-2013, 12:02 PM
I have had good results so far with Dupli-color acrylic lacquer. It is the hardest clear I personally have used. My brother, a professional painter, tends towards lacquer as s second choice, catalyzed automotive type is the hardest. Ever consider an airbrush? That would allow you to use the catalyzed types, in small batches.
I dont want to sound like an alarmist, but use super caution when using lacquer, like outside only. It is known to cause brain damage, and can get inside of ya from just skin contact. You, like me, are employed with our brain, take care of it.

I made an outdoor paint booth using halogen work lights and a box. Even when it was 25 outside, my IR thermo says it was 75 inside of the box with 2 halogen work lights. Helpts paint dry faster too.

properchopper
04-14-2013, 12:31 PM
:popcorn2:

carlcisneros
04-14-2013, 02:13 PM
I use this on all my boats. both FE and nitro powered.

http://www.spraymax.de/index.php?id=361&L=1

bit on the expensive side, but never have had any problems with what you are needing.

longballlumber
04-14-2013, 07:11 PM
www.klasskote.com You should have talked to Nate at his booth while you were at the Toledo show last weekend.

Later,
Mike