PDA

View Full Version : seaking 35 amp speedcontroler

MARKBRENNAN
04-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Do they make a programming card for the seaking 35 amp brushless marine speedcontroler Thanks

Fast Guy
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Do they make a programming card for the seaking 35 amp brushless marine speedcontroler Thanks

LED Program Card For Brushless ESCl (http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-hobbywing-led-programcard.html)

J.W. Pepper
04-15-2013, 02:36 PM

ALL ver 2.0 HobbyWing ESC's (car/truck, boats & airplanes) can be programmed with the same box. I have 2-eZ-Run's (35A & 60A) and 1-SCT 70A in my Traxxas rigs, also have 2 Seakings 35A & 60A. My box works with all of them, it came with the car faceplate on it and faceplates for boats & planes.

You can find more info here... http://www.hobbywing.com/product.asp?bigclassid=8 - scroll down to the bottom of the page.

J.W. Pepper
04-15-2013, 02:45 PM
LED Program Card For Brushless ESCl (http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-hobbywing-led-programcard.html)

HobbyPartz is out of them!

Kintec Racing and OSE both sell them... http://kintecracing.com/ESC_s.html -- and -- http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=ESC+Accessories+%26+More&sortby=3

Kintec = $10 + $5.65 priority mail for up to 10-items, OSE $9.95 + ship, cost depends on your location and number of items.

I did an order with OSE last night, ship = $6.53 to the west coast for a pair of trim plates, Octura coupler and OSE brand flex cable setup for PB IM-31.

Both vendors are good dependable business's that ship quick.

MARKBRENNAN
06-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Have you guys uses this programing card before.

Dangergus
06-19-2013, 06:10 PM
I used the same card and no problem to program.

On a different note, anybody notice this ESC starts at about 20 to 30% throttle? I have the Seaking and Turnigy 35 version's and both the same. I just went back to the Car ESC's for the full control.

Fast Guy
06-20-2013, 06:06 AM
I used the same card and no problem to program.

On a different note, anybody notice this ESC starts at about 20 to 30% throttle? I have the Seaking and Turnigy 35 version's and both the same. I just went back to the Car ESC's for the full control.

I have a couple SeaKing 35a and 6 SeaKing 25a and they all have full throttle control. Can putt along very slowly. Using FlySky GT3B and Futaba 4PL transmitters.

Dangergus
06-20-2013, 05:33 PM
I thought my Turnigy was bad so I picked up the Seaking and had the same exact high throttle start problem. I could tell something was off when I used it in my rescue boat then confirmed it on the bench against the Car version. I tried the different settings and changed radios, HKGT2, GT3B and old AM radio, - same thing...

Probably not a big problem in a boat but I noticed it. Now they're just collecting dust.

I have a couple SeaKing 35a and 6 SeaKing 25a and they all have full throttle control. Can putt along very slowly. Using FlySky GT3B and Futaba 4PL transmitters.

J.W. Pepper
06-22-2013, 01:39 AM

I too have SK 35A unit, and I also get full throttle control, radio = Tactic TTX-240 Tx, TR-624 Rx

Dangergus
06-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Compare it on the bench to a car esc. You'll see that initial start speed is high, like 20 to 30%. I agree there's full control "after" start up.

Again, this is based on the 2 I have and it's a big deal to me - might not be to others.

J.W. Pepper
06-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Compare it on the bench to a car esc. You'll see that initial start speed is high, like 20 to 30%. I agree there's full control "after" start up.

Again, this is based on the 2 I have and it's a big deal to me - might not be to others.

Compare it on the bench to a car esc...

I have... HobbyWing eZ-Run 35A, eZ-Run 60A, eZ-Run SC 10 - all three are car ESC's.

Also have... Seaking 35A & Seaking 90A - both are marine ESC's.

Note: I used a Seaking 60A unit in AQ Wildcat boat I had last summer, same results as the above two. Sold that boat long time ago, buyer wanted stock ESC. I kept the SK60, since I no longer needed it, sold it in the swap shop May 1st.

Like Fast Guy said, I can putt along very slowly - now add with ALL 5 of those ESC's - to full speed on land or water to his comment.

With all that said and done, I would like to ask you some questions...
Have you trained your Seaking 35A ESC to work with your Tx per the instructions in the manual?? Very important for getting full throttle range.

The manual also states: if the motor does not rotate in the proper direction, reverse any 2 of the 3 ESC<->motor wires, have you tried doing that??

Something unique I've noticed with the SK-35A units (this applies to the 35A units only) is that I have to reverse the yellow & orange ESC<->Motor wires for the motor to run at full speed. Yellow ESC to Orange motor, Orange ESC to Yellow motor - I don't understand why, nor do I care, I just do it that way and enjoy my boat.

You asked me compare land ESC's to a marine ESC's, so I did. I also offered additional info based on personal experiences.

Hopefully that info helps you find a solution.

Dangergus
06-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Sounding a little bit pointed there JW... Great that you compared and if you're satisfied then good. Again, this is my experience with 2 of the same 35 speedo's compared to others including an old Hacker and Barracuda 80 (both Marine) - same result with the 35's @ a much higher start speed than all others.

No comment an anything but the 35's...

Yes, speedo's trained repeatedly with all TX's and tried reversing channel and trimming way out both ways to see if it helps - nothing. I tried the old AM radio just to be sure it wasn't something with the 2.4's... No change on motor rotation either.

Thanks for the suggestions, JW. I played with these for hours but eventually got fed up and pulled them.

Fast Guy
06-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I don't know if it makes a difference or not but all my SeaKing stuff are version 2.

J.W. Pepper
06-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Sounding a little bit pointed there JW... Great that you compared and if you're satisfied then good. Again, this is my experience with 2 of the same 35 speedo's compared to others including an old Hacker and Barracuda 80 (both Marine) - same result with the 35's @ a much higher start speed than all others.

No comment an anything but the 35's...

Yes, speedo's trained repeatedly with all TX's and tried reversing channel and trimming way out both ways to see if it helps - nothing. I tried the old AM radio just to be sure it wasn't something with the 2.4's... No change on motor rotation either.

Thanks for the suggestions, JW. I played with these for hours but eventually got fed up and pulled them.

In post #10 you stated: "Compare it on the bench to a car esc" - so I did; please explain to me how answering your question in an honest manner makes me "pointed".

If your going to ask people to compare two different items - in this case a car ESC vs marine ESC - then you should be man enough to accept the answer someone gives you. If you can't handle the potential answer, then might I suggest you don't ask the question. I only see this type of nonsense on this forum, not others, that's why I left.

Only reason I re-activated my account is because I'm looking for a couple boat specific items in the swap shop.

J.W. Pepper
06-23-2013, 01:36 AM
I don't know if it makes a difference or not but all my SeaKing stuff are version 2.

Thanks, that's a good point, forgot to mention it - all 5 of my HW speedo's both land & marine are version 2's.

Not sure what the diff between ver 1.1 & 2.0 speedo's is / are, do know that ver 2.0 speedo's require the ver 2.0 program box.

785boats
06-23-2013, 02:59 AM
Dangergus.
In the manual you will see a section on Throttle Calibration. Did you do that after you programmed the ESC?
If not, just try that & you should have full throttle control from 0-100%.

Dangergus
06-23-2013, 11:47 PM
JW – you really need to relax. You understand that we’re talking about toy boats here, right? Honesty is great, just don’t need the “is this enough for you” comment. Time to grow up and learn about “tone” when writing…
Accept your answer? No, but appreciated and thanks given. Still have the same issue with both ESC’s.

Fast Guy – Both of my ESC’s said Ver. 2 in their online desc but I don’t see anything on them to confirm. Pic attached.

785boats – Yes, recalibrated repeatedly on both and with different settings. I was sure this was the issue but no luck.

Fast Guy
06-24-2013, 06:13 AM
Fast Guy – Both of my ESC’s said Ver. 2 in their online desc but I don’t see anything on them to confirm. Pic attached.

My ESC's have nothing about version 2 marked on them either. Looks the same as yours.

J.W. Pepper
06-24-2013, 03:42 PM
My ESC's have nothing about version 2 marked on them either. Looks the same as yours.

I only have one 35A unit, looks the same as the pic Dangergus posted.

I looked the whole thing over with a magnifying glass to see if there was anything on the sides / bottom / circuit board that would indicate version, no luck.

Kinda weird because the 60A and up units have the version written on the decal, not sure what gives with the 35's??

J.W. Pepper
06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
JW – you really need to relax. You understand that we’re talking about toy boats here, right? Honesty is great, just don’t need the “is this enough for you” comment. Time to grow up and learn about “tone” when writing…
Accept your answer? No, but appreciated and thanks given. Still have the same issue with both ESC’s.

785boats – Yes, recalibrated repeatedly on both and with different settings. I was sure this was the issue but no luck.

Don't know bout the "toy boats" part, thought those were for kids. I think "hobby-grade" boats would be a better description for the boats people on this forum own & run - but that's just my opinion.

The comment wasn't meant to offend you, but since it was (apparently) taken that way, I edited the post and removed it.

tlandauer
06-24-2013, 04:55 PM
I only have one 35A unit, looks the same as the pic Dangergus posted.

I looked the whole thing over with a magnifying glass to see if there was anything on the sides / bottom / circuit board that would indicate version, no luck.

Kinda weird because the 60A and up units have the version written on the decal, not sure what gives with the 35's??
:laugh: I think in this day and age, anything that says "Version 2" is an easier sell to the consumer, I have a 35A unit, the throttle curve is very good. May be production variance? :noidea:

Dangergus
06-24-2013, 11:25 PM
JW – thanks, no harm done.

Since I’m the only one seeing this high start issue with my Marine 35’s, I did another bench test and reconfirmed it yet again. Not only that, but the inrunned motor I used seem to stutter at full throttle and get considerably warmer than my Quark 33 and HK X-Car35 ESC. This was on the bench/unloaded with the throttle pegged for about 10 seconds.

Please know that I have nothing against these low cost ESC’s. I have 3 HobbyWing/HobbyKing Car ESC’s and think they’re great and definitely the best bang for the buck. It’s just the Marine 35’s that fail miserably with me. My feeling is that the manuf. figures that a boat doesn’t need the lower speed capability so they removed FET(s) to save cost. Just my humble opinion…

To the OP – I’m sorry to get off track here. The program card does work well to adjust the 4 settings with the Marine 35 ESC.