PDA

View Full Version : DF 35" or DF41"?? - Spartan replacement build

bikergreen
04-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Ok so I have decided to sell my Spartan now while its floating and running well, I have learnt enough and am ready to move on. Looking for some initial opinions. I want to build either the DF 35.5" hull (not pirate) or the 41". Only down side is that the 41" is $90 more. I want to stick with the power system I put in my Spartan - a T180 and the leopard 4082 1600KV and run 6s. Fine for the 35" hull, maybe not enough for the 41"? I could go to a 56mm motor with a lower KV and push a big prop otherwise. Will be doing a speedmaster stinger and full 3/16th drive. - Have to wait until both of these hulls are back in stock :sad:

I don't race at all, it doesn't exist in the lower mainland here around Vancouver BC. I mostly run in the ocean and like running in some light chop. The 41" would be sure be better in the chop so I have to make the call.

tlandauer
04-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Sounds like an exciting project. I know you liked the Spartan's ability to run in the ocean, my impression is that these are more "race" hulls. The Spartan has more free board, can handle some chops. Why not the Pirate? Cyber Storm 33 handles chops rather well too.
JMO.
Have fun with your quest!

bikergreen
04-08-2013, 02:20 AM
Ya I wondered about the difference from a DF to the Spartan, as the spartan is deeper and narrower. I didn't really have a reason for saying not the pirate other then is it a hair shorter then the other 35" hull, I honestly don't know what the difference is between the two hulls listed at 35". The DF33 could be an option also I guess, was just of the thinking bigger is better :rockon2:. Maybe the Titan 33 should also be considered? I like this build a lot:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?39657-Hk-osprey-41-mono.-Leopard-peter-z-180-amp-speedmaster-octura.-Sale-or-trade.

tlandauer
04-08-2013, 02:28 AM
I bought a MHZ Lizard Xtreme hull from e bay a year ago, it is a deep V with lots of free board, handles chops well, just wish it was a bit longer. Here is my build:http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?40201-Two-of-my-builds-MHZ-Lizard-Xtreme-and-Aeromarine-Mean-Machine
I was told that the Cyber Storm is a good handler. But it's only 33".
The Titan looks good too, I know it's a tough call, but that is part of the fun you will be having. Can't wait to see your build!

tlandauer
04-08-2013, 02:30 AM
You can see the profile of the Lizard Xtreme, it's built to handle chops. Really a deep V and look at the free board near the rear end.

bikergreen
04-08-2013, 03:01 AM
Ya thats a good looking offshore hull, to bad its not longer!! I like how the bow turns up, I bet the DF hulls would plow into the waves like the revolts do with their lower front ends. Yes most of the fun is planning and building for sure! Will take a bit to choose a hull, I didn't want to go smaller then the Spartan...

785boats
04-08-2013, 03:11 AM
If you want to run the 41" hull, you shouldn't need to go to the 56 series motors.
The 4092 1300kv should work well in the chop on 6s with a 447/3 prop.
Just my opinion, but I've never run a boat in the ocean. I do run a 41" hull with a Nue 1527 1y on 6s with that prop & it's a good handling boat in the chop we get on our lake.
On calm days I can run the 450/3 on it.
Cheers.
Paul.

bikergreen
04-08-2013, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the input 785! Was hoping something with a DF41 would jump in. Ya moving to a 4092 was a thought for sure - Do you have any pics of your set up?

bikergreen
04-08-2013, 01:44 PM
tlandauer made a good point about the amount of freeboard, the spartan is a deeper V and has a fair amount of freeboard. Much more then the DF hulls which have almost none. Any other hull options out there? I'd keep the Spartan if it wasn't plastic but I just know I will blow it up!

785boats
04-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Yep.
It is an Osprey which is a flop of the DF41 hull. At least the lower half is.
I ripped the gear out of the hull, moved the motor mount back a bit for better balance & added some carbon fibre rods for strength. Added a central battery tray as we are only allowed to run a 1P set up here in Australia. Changed the two part drive for a welded flex drive. All the gear that came on the transom is still there.
Just remember, this is set up for oval racing & as others have said, the freeboard is very low for ocean work, & the V is pretty shallow.

bikergreen
04-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Right one looks good, thanks for the pics. - Ya it will be hard for me to decide. I mean I still want to go fast and run in lakes also, I don't search out chop in the ocean but its inevitable that I run in it. I just put on a different prop and run lower speeds. I have been looking around and haven't found any other good deep V options as of yet.

bikergreen
04-13-2013, 03:56 AM
I think I have found the hull that will suit my needs! The MMP Rapid.

http://www.rocketcityracing.com/MMP-Rapid-Offshore-Mono_p_1721.html

tlandauer
04-13-2013, 04:19 AM
I think I have found the hull that will suit my needs! The MMP Rapid.

http://www.rocketcityracing.com/MMP-Rapid-Offshore-Mono_p_1721.html
:drool:man, this is a gorgeous hull! I want one too. :buttrock:

srislash
04-13-2013, 09:20 AM
The Rapid should be good in the chop,I did see a vid somewhere of it cutting the waves and I think it will be a bit more solid than a DF which I feel through my experience with my 35" would not be up to the task.Just wayy too light of a hull.I look forward to seeing the build in person too Biker.

bikergreen
04-13-2013, 10:41 AM
The Rapid should be good in the chop,I did see a vid somewhere of it cutting the waves and I think it will be a bit more solid than a DF which I feel through my experience with my 35" would not be up to the task.Just wayy too light of a hull.I look forward to seeing the build in person too Biker.

That is pretty much the conclusion I came to also after a little research into the DF hulls. I'd like to build a DF at point but not what I want right now. Will take a while to get started but I will post up again when I have the hull and am getting started!