PDA

View Full Version : Any advice/thought on this receiver?

tlandauer
03-19-2013, 02:09 AM
95529I am curious as to how reliable /serviceable this receiver is, I have a few Spektrum radio systems in some of my boats and so far I like them and I am always careful with CF hulls and the antenna poking outside of the hull is a good insurance, but the receivers are pricy, so I am tempted to give this a try. Any input is appreciated.

madmikepags
03-19-2013, 02:29 AM
if this is the orange Rx from hobby king then I use them in planes, mostly foamys, that i don't really care about, never had one fail, and I have one in a big foamy that I fly hundreds of feet high, but I would try it in something small and slow and check the range on water before i put it in anything I really like!!!!

tlandauer
03-19-2013, 02:42 AM
if this is the orange Rx from hobby king then I use them in planes, mostly foamys, that i don't really care about, never had one fail, and I have one in a big foamy that I fly hundreds of feet high, but I would try it in something small and slow and check the range on water before i put it in anything I really like!!!!
Great advice, I just saw this from Kintec, I did not go to HobbyKing to check it out, but now that you mentioned it, my memories are coming back, I did see it a while back, didn't think about it.
Did you use this particular one? I thought surface and air are a bit different?! But I am not a flyer, what do I know! lol...
Thanks!

Barbossa
03-20-2013, 04:27 AM
I am using these receivers on a three of my boats and they are all functioning well with very good range.
Another guy at the lake uses them also and likes them.
We have been buying them from HobbyKing. Together we have bought 6 and only had an issue with one that was DOA.
They are much cheaper than the Spektrum MR200 and MR3000, so 5 out of 6 is still good economics.

tlandauer
03-20-2013, 04:31 AM
I am using these receivers on a three of my boats and they are all functioning well with very good range.
Another guy at the lake uses them also and likes them.
We have been buying them from HobbyKing. Together we have bought 6 and only had an issue with one that was DOA.
They are much cheaper than the Spektrum MR200 and MR3000, so 5 out of 6 is still good economics.
Thanks, good to know!

kingwrench
03-20-2013, 08:46 AM
I always say buy the best and only cry once

jstolz
03-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Great advice, I just saw this from Kintec, I did not go to HobbyKing to check it out, but now that you mentioned it, my memories are coming back, I did see it a while back, didn't think about it.
Did you use this particular one? I thought surface and air are a bit different?! But I am not a flyer, what do I know! lol...
Thanks!

I believe the only difference between surface and air receivers in 2.4 technology is the number of channels. I have a bunch of the Hobby King orange receivers in my planes. I have had one of my planes so high that I could hardly see it. I also use one in my rescue boat.

siberianhusky
03-20-2013, 11:41 AM
There is a difference between spektrum marine and surface 2.4 rxs.
Not 100% sure what, but you can bind a marine rx to an air radio, but not a surface rx to an air radio. Something to do with the protocol used to communicate.
I personally wouldn't trust one in a boat as Spektrum did have issues with the surface (car) rx's in boats, that's why the marine line came out.
They are NOT just a waterproofed car rx.
At our pond there is issues with range using the SR rx's in boats, I originally had mine in a SV, kept losing signal or going out of range, changed to a marine rx and everything is locked in.
I've looked at the Orange rxs a couple of time but backed off because the are not a Marine unit. No funky boat symbol! No go in my boats!
I also will use them in my foamy planes, air version that is, never get far away, couldn't see them if they did. If I still ran cars I'd more than likely try them in a car as well. Hey if they come out with a marine version I'd give one a go, until they do though I'm not going there.
Sucks walking around the shore waving your radio around like some kind of witch doctor until your boat picks up the signal again!
I've even run the marine antennae inside the hull on a few boats with no loss of signal, on dry land I range tested the surface rx in the SV, could never get it to drop a signal, over water it was a regular issue.

lackabucks1
03-20-2013, 06:38 PM
I have used them in both fe boats and planes. The ground versions bind with spectrum surface transmitters, the air ones with conventional stick transmitters. I have never had one fail and that includes one that spent half-an-hour under water. In my opinion they are as dependable as Spektrum and probably come out of the same part of China.

tlandauer
03-21-2013, 03:10 AM
Thanks guys, all great advice and good info.! I agree with siberianhusky that the SR rx has range issues even with my cars, I knew the MR200 and MR3000 were specifically designed for use on water. I have left both antennas inside the hull on several of my boats w/o any issues. Lost signal only once and the strange thing was that unlike other radio such as Tactic, I walked up and down the shore line and it never regained contact, had to wait for the wind to blow my boat back. lol... it regained contact once I picked up the boat! Go figure!
I might get one of these "orange" unit and try it on a small/slow "pool" boat to test it out. I also agree with kingwrench that it is a good practice to not have to cry twice.

tlandauer
03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
An up-date: dying to try out my newly aquired Minicat CF Micro Hydro, I gathered up enough courage to put a Flysky receiver ( FS-GT3B tx / FS-GTR 3 channel rx ) in it, worked flawlessly. I had read here that some people swear by this radio but personally I have never entertained the idea to try it out. At $ 7.40 a piece, it is a good deal. I will continue to run this to see if there are any long term issues. I have been using this in my cars but never in boats.