PDA

View Full Version : Intro - newb here

kookie_guy
06-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Hi all,

Let me start off by saying to the mods that if my avatar is not appropriate, please let me know and I will change it.

Always had a thing for rc boating. Had a nitro vee, got rid of it before it ever touched water since I didn't wanna mess with nitro. Was looking at a traxxas villain, but really wanted something brushless. Then I saw the BJ cat, and had to have it. So she's at home now, waiting to go for a run.

As far as upgrades go, she's bone stock. As things wear down and break I will replace with aftermarket parts, probably making most of them myself. First thing that will probably get replaced is the steerable outdrive. Go with one of the fuller style setups, but again, custom made.

Battery wise I'll be using 7 cell 3800mah NIMH packs. I know lipo will reduce weight, but I don't wanna mess with lipo just yet. I've gone through some of the sections on here and saw something about the BEC not being able to handle 7 cell, what's that all about????

Anyhoo, as things happen, I will post. Please bear with me as I get going into this thing. I will be asking for :help: . I know about the search feature, so no need to point it out, and I use it as much as I can.

cheers.

Diegoboy
06-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Welcome!
You'll like it here, I'm sure. There are a LOT of other forums that consistently point questions to the "search" feature. I hate that myself. It's never happened here, that I know of at least. People here answer the questions directly rather that throwing a "Canned reply" that rudely says "search for yourself"

ReddyWatts
06-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Welcome!

What is a "PLC" programmer?

kookie_guy
06-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Welcome!

What is a "PLC" programmer?

thanks for the welcomes...

PLC is short form for Programmable Logic Controller. Basically a PLC is what controls a machine. There are sensors all over the machine which are inputs to the PLC. There are outputs such as valves/lights/motors which are connected to the PLC as well. The valves would control cylinders on the machines. As the cylinders move, sensor states will change. The PLC programmer programs all the logic required to make the machine move in a certain sequence.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

kookie_guy
06-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I've gone through some of the sections on here and saw something about the BEC not being able to handle 7 cell, what's that all about????

so can anyone help me out with this? I don't want to stick 2 7cell packs in this thing and cook something right off the bat. hehe.

Tony
06-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi welcome! I am using 2pks 2S 7.4V Lipo(recommended), and there's a guy in here using 2pks 3S 11.1V Lipo batt w/o any problems. HTH

chirotray
06-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Ive had no problems with 7cell packs. I put about 5 runs on them, then switched to lipo. I know you said you didnt want to mess with lipo, but its the way to go. Much, much faster than the 7 cell packs, with way more run time.

kookie_guy
06-27-2008, 07:01 AM
I'll go to lipo in the future for sure. Having just bought a house and getting married this year, money is a little tight right now. hehe.

ChaKane
06-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Congrates on your soon to be marriage. Is that your girl in your avatar?

kookie_guy
06-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Congrates on your soon to me marriage. Is that your girl in your avatar?

thanks, and nah, that's not her. Although now that I look at it she's actually pretty close. That's Jessica Alba. mmmmmm, Jessica Alba. :banana:

Jeff Wohlt
06-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Welcome...just so you know....I am not insulted at all by the avatar. I think she just lost and ear ring....so what's the big deal. :)

Jeepers
06-27-2008, 11:15 PM
thanks, and nah, that's not her. Although now that I look at it she's actually pretty close. That's Jessica Alba. mmmmmm, Jessica Alba. :banana:

and who would complain about her, shes :flammes-09:

obrien
06-28-2008, 01:16 AM
if you want to stick with Nimh batteries, just stay with the 6 cell packs. I tried both, and the boat ran plenty fast with those. I was able to run over 45 mph with the stock motor, but with upgraded hardware.

chirotray
06-28-2008, 01:32 AM
if you want to stick with Nimh batteries, just stay with the 6 cell packs. I tried both, and the boat ran plenty fast with those. I was able to run over 45 mph with the stock motor, but with upgraded hardware.

I agree, did you feel like the boat ran really wet with the 7cell packs? No matter where you balanced it?

hex-dj
06-28-2008, 01:35 AM
and who would complain about her, shes :flammes-09:
:iagree:

obrien
06-28-2008, 05:51 PM
I agree, did you feel like the boat ran really wet with the 7cell packs? No matter where you balanced it?

I think the extra weight just didn't warrant the little bit of extra power you gained. When I was getting my best speeds, the batteries were all the way back to the transom. needless to say the boat carried nicely. However, if you want the boat to turn decent,the batteries need to be further forward. I have found that I can pretty much turn the boat how I want with the back of the battery just forward of the rear step.

Wakesurfer
07-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Looks just like my soon to be X wife. Well, 70 pounds lighter with better curves, but you know, really close. Not.

kookie_guy
07-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Looks just like my soon to be X wife. Well, 70 pounds lighter with better curves, but you know, really close. Not.

hahahaha, oh man, sorry about the divorce, but good line.

kookie_guy
07-06-2008, 11:10 PM
so I took the boat to the beach with me today. Also tore down my 7 cell packs and built nice and strong 6 cell packs. Mistake. Could only go about 50% throttle and cut out. The first time I ran it on 7 cell and it was nice and strong. So gotta rebuild some 7 cell packs. This thing took the waves pretty well. Although limited throttle, I still got some good bouncing happening.

All the children were like, wow, that's so cool. Meanwhile I was pretty disappointed. Oh well, always next time.

chirotray
07-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Your problem isnt your batts, you need to buy the programmer and change your cutoff voltage to low. Will cure the problem.

kookie_guy
07-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Your problem isnt your batts, you need to buy the programmer and change your cutoff voltage to low. Will cure the problem.

ya that was the first thing I did. I saw on here how people were having some issues so I went out and bought it right away.

kookie_guy
07-07-2008, 07:22 AM
as far as lipos go.....I know this has probably been answered numerous times, but a stock BJ26, with stock prop, what kind of lipos can this thing handle? I would like to continue running 2 packs just for the balance in the boat. Should I go with half the voltage and run them in series like stock, or full voltage each side in parallel for the longer run time?

I'd like to buy as few batteries as possible due to the cost.

Secondly, what is a safe voltage to run this thing at? I know what the manual says, but past experience is always better than a manual.

chirotray
07-08-2008, 05:23 PM
I run mine with a pair of 2s 5000mah packs. Works nicely.

kookie_guy
07-11-2008, 09:44 PM
took her out again today. just built some nice 3800 mah 7 cell side by side packs, with novak battery bars. No stalling out this time, plenty of juice. However, I think I'm starting to hear the calling.......LIPO........LIPO!!!

hehe, the packs were SUPER hot at the end of the run. The motor was barely warm, same goes for the esc. So it's pretty safe to say the packs can't provide the juice this motor needs.

Gotta start looking at some good lipos.