PDA

View Full Version : NAMBA SAW Time-Trial - March 22, 23, 24th at Legg Lake!

Darin Jordan
03-11-2013, 08:16 AM
It's that time of the year again. The first big NAMBA SAW event of 2013 will be held March 22, 23, and 24 at Legg Lake in South El Monte, CA. Sun-Up to Sun-Down!

Time to brush the dust off and bring those boats out! Hope to see you all there!!

Darin Jordan
03-18-2013, 09:03 AM
A week to go!! Who all is coming??

RaceMechaniX
03-18-2013, 02:07 PM
I'll be there with the usual mix of riggers and mono's.

ManuelW
03-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Wish u all a nice event without any damages and some good results!!

regards,
Manuel

madmikepags
03-18-2013, 11:34 PM
wish you guys a great event with lots of broken stuff burnt speedos and puffed lipos!!!! if you're not breaking stuff you're not trying hard enough!!!!

thomaslambo
03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Wow,

I guess I should pay more attention to schedule changes, I thought the event was the last weekend in March until I saw this post.

No worries, a quick bribe to the little lady and I’m in for this weekend.

Should be great weather and another smoking event, and speaking about smoking, here’s a pic of "the price of doing business" at SAW events :flame42:

See you guys on Friday :thumbup1:

BILL OXIDEAN
03-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Its gonna' be great! A nice BBQ where guys get together to enjoy going SUPER fast.
I enjoy watching fellow drivers send vessels through the traps about as much as I enjoy making passes..

I'm a fan : )

RaceMechaniX
03-19-2013, 06:05 PM
We won't let you down Pags hence having a couple spares is always a good idea.

3 ready for the slaughter....

Doug Smock
03-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Good luck fellas!

Darin Jordan
03-19-2013, 10:24 PM
@Tyler... Which classes are those for???

For me, it's all small stuff again... Still not quite finished, and I think that both Bill and I have some more on the table to scoop up! Bill accomplished some AMAZING times/speeds last fall. Hopefully I'll get to witness some more of this. Think about it for a minute... Bill went 70+ on 1-cell!!! Pretty cool.

For me... it's going to be:

N1 Mono
M2 Mono
M2 Hydro

and MAYBE... N1 Hydro

However, I'm also bringing a crazy high-revving N2 Hydro setup. If I can't make this hull go with my M2 setup, I'm going to stuff in the N2 setup, and see if I can make it break 90, or turn it into splinters... one or the other!! :)

Even spent some time "engineering" my pit and spares setup... Packing WAY lighter than usual, but hopefully will have it all covered. Built a couple of prop boxes... built a compact power supply.... Life is good!

bruiser77
03-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Hello, I'm planning on coming to spectate and was wondering what would be the best day, Saturday or Sunday? I can only get away for one of the two. Will there still be a few boats in the water on sunday or will the majority of them be on the trailer:)First event of this kind.Looking forward to the action. Thanks

Darin Jordan
03-20-2013, 12:05 AM
I think Saturday will be when the most people will be there. I know of at least one competitor that won't be there on Sunday.

bruiser77
03-20-2013, 12:35 AM
Perfect, thanks

RaceMechaniX
03-20-2013, 02:23 AM
Darin,

The carbon one is too heavy for Q, so I'll run it in S. The middle boat is for Q and the top boat is the S & T. Lots of spares hopefully they won't be needed.

TG

thomaslambo
03-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Preparation of my "Bullets" (N2, P, Q, S and T Cats) for the up coming SAW event......

FYI - I'm done with Chinese controllers for my high voltage Cats, I've upgraded to Schulze's, and notice how neatly they tuck in just in front of the motors against the side wall :tiphat:

Gotta love it :rockon2:

RaceMechaniX
03-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Boyd,

I will call you later on something I see that we might want to change.

TG

thomaslambo
03-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Ok, I'm at my house all day.

TheShaughnessy
03-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Any updates? Any new cat records? Or does that not apply until it passed at a national level?

olwarbirds
03-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Lookn fwd to hearing what the new records are too.... DJ

RaceMechaniX
03-25-2013, 01:44 PM
I believe seven or eight new records were set in the following classes:

T offshore
S Offshore
P Offshore(can't remember if a back up pass was made)
S hydro
Q hydro
P Hydro
M2 Mono
Jersey Skiff

I don't have the official results yet, but I will say T Offshore was pushed close to 128mph, S hydro is close to 126mph, Q hydro is close to 128mph and P hydro is close to 117mph. Not sure about M2 mono, P Offshore and JS. Will get more details later on.

There were several passes just over 130mph :thumbup:

TG

Ralf
03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
but I will say T Offshore was pushed close to 128mph

uiha :thumbup:

thomaslambo
03-25-2013, 03:38 PM

T offshore
S Offshore
S hydro
Q hydro
P Hydro
M2 Mono
Jersey Skiff

I don't have the official results yet, but I will say T Offshore was pushed close to 128mph, S hydro is close to 126mph, Q hydro is close to 128mph and P hydro is close to 117mph. Not sure about M2 mono, P Offshore and JS. Will get more details later on.

TG

I didn't get the back up run for P Offshore....lost a drive dog on the second pass so I had to leave the 100.3 MPH 1st run on the table....."I'll be back" :nopity:

For that matter...several strong record runs were left on the table as a result of failed 2nd attempts. One real heart breaker was Mark F. hit 90 MPH plus three times in his T Mono but could never get the 2nd pass in :frusty:

jeffrey1
03-25-2013, 04:59 PM
hey,just a quick question, can a mamba smart sense esc be used with 1515, 2200kv motor. if not i guess mamba max 2 would work.any info will be great thanks, jeff

TheShaughnessy
03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
There are no restrictions on the esc in NAMBA

properchopper
03-26-2013, 01:05 AM
First, a Cinema Verite' Pit Tour :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBaWfRjErCE

Mark F making a T-Mono pass :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1mnA4EvJfc

My Drifter S P-Ltd Offshore run before Mr. Snowman added 4mph to the prop (67.771mph record still intact but left a 71mph pass un backed-up on the table) Is it October yet ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpE9_8Op-fk

Tyler's Record run on Saturday :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1rm-8QSFQ

Boyd's S-Offshore run :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D-T70Johw8

Brian N's Saturday passes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUBI1atOPsE

Brian N's entry in the Long Jump Competition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPxtfIq68Ng

Have more to sort through.

Darin Jordan
03-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Tony,

Not sure what these events would do without you! I'm nominating you as the official NAMBA SAW (West Coast Edition) video historian! Thanks for recording the events. Might be the only real evidence they ever actually happened... :)

Eodman
03-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Great job Tony, and all the guys running! But I'll tell you as much as I would like to attend the camera adds a good 10 or 15 lbs to all of you guys !!!!!

Darin Jordan
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
... the camera adds a good 10 or 15 lbs to all of you guys !!!!!

That 10-15lbs wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with Kim's FANTASTIC cooking, or the Vente' Toffee-nut Mocha's Brian has me adicted too! :)

properchopper
03-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Tony,

Not sure what these events would do without you! I'm nominating you as the official NAMBA SAW (West Coast Edition) video historian! Thanks for recording the events. Might be the only real evidence they ever actually happened... :)

Darin,

It has always been, currently is, and always shall be a priviledge to attend the Saws. That I can contribute some live shots gives me more of a way to fit in and be "part of". I wish I had more shots of yours and Brian's runs. Realize that for each posted video, there's so many that are of attempts that didn't produce the desired results (and one that will never get posted :wink:). Viewing only the record runs doesn't do justice to the character of the entire event which consists of dozens of attempts which can end in any number of ways - some more costly than (and frustrating) than others.

As a wordsmith in an alternative identity, I'm inadequate and quite unable to convey here in words the entire "gestalt" of the SAW experience.

Here's some thoughts :

The race starts long before the first day. Often the next race begins for some of us on the last day of the last race when a record-busting fast pass is left un backed-up on the table.

Like certain animal species, many of us return by rote after covering long distances to the scene of our first introduction.

There's substantial personal and financial sacrifice to compete year after year. Again, great distances are covered by many of us.

Regardless of anyone's level of aspirations or experience, we become bonded as a group for the duration. Like survivors of a shipwreck, we're united by a common "thing" that I can't find the right words to describe.

Although the focus is on the science and technology of maximum performance, the comfort provided by Kim's catering makes the experience magical as we bathe in her heartfelt nutritional support. It's not too far-fetched to say that we feel her dedicated, warm care for us in every
bite.

With time not on my side, I'll close for now. I have boats to build.

And on a final (hidden pun)note, if there was a song to describe much of what goes on (based on the prevailing winds), this works :thumbup1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IXZIqxrj5E

Tony

RandyatBBY
03-26-2013, 01:56 PM
A very big thank you Tony for the ensemble of clips for our entertainment.

Doug Smock
03-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Congrats fellas!! Smokin fast boats!!
Thanks for posting the vids Tony.

RandyatBBY
03-26-2013, 08:28 PM

T offshore
S Offshore
S hydro
Q hydro
P Hydro
M2 Mono
Jersey Skiff

TG

Wilmer is not sure on the M2 Mono it is like 44 or 45MPH on one cell.

olwarbirds
03-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Tks for sharing Tony, tks guys, nicely done... DJ

properchopper
03-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Wilmer is not sure on the M2 Mono it is like 44 or 45MPH on one cell.

As of Saturday he was at 42.638mph according to Kim's figure

RaceMechaniX
03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
OK, now that I am somewhat recovered from the weekend of SAW racing here is my highlight reel:
The usual Legg Lake SAW cast of characters were present including Mark and Kim Grim, Don Maher, Howard Welch, Eldon Bouchie, Brian Buaas, Darin Jordan, Boyd Marshall, Mark Ferreira, Tony Heller, Thom Hammer, Brian Neal, Bill Oxidean and Steve and Jack O’Donnell, Jim Johnson, Scott Bouchie and a guest appearance by Martin Truex Jr.

As usual Kim Grim’s cooking was outstanding and her recent acquisition of a new larger BBQ for Xmas (thanks Mark) allowed her to cook giant steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs and carne aside enough to feed a large army. It is virtually impossible to leave hungry.

I brought four riggers to cover Q, S, T, and X in the hopes of besting my own Q hydro record and upping the S hydro record which has stood for many years. Mark Grim was running his X-hydro and his newly built CMB27 powered GX-2 rigger for some shakedown runs. Maher had his new twin out for some shakedown testing as well when the water was too rough to run SAW boats in. Maher also had his gear drive X-hydro out. Brian Buaas brought his P hydro with the goal of upping his existing record and setting a P-Ltd mono record with a bone stock Revolt. Darin brought his fleet of sub 20” boats including a M2 mono, N1 mono and a M2 rigger. Bill Oxidean also brought down his fleet of small boats including a M2 rigger, N1 Rigger , M2 mono and a N1 mono. Darin and Bill were fighting for tenths of a mile an hour. A straight pass versus a crooked pass makes a huge difference when it takes 4.5 seconds to trip the lights. Eldon brought out his Thunderboat and crackerbox for some fun runs. Boyd showed up with his fleet including dedicated boats P, Q, S & T offshore. All with twin power systems. Mark F brought a single T mono to try and take top honors away from Doug Smock. Brian Neal showed up with a pair of identically built HPR 135 cats with twin high power drivelines. Brian made a number of runs ranging from 100 to 130mph and got some good stick time trying to manage the power available in the big offshore cats. Jack and Steve O’Donnell make a brief appearance to run their A hydro and support Brian Neal. Jim Johnson brought his Phil Thomas P-Ltd sport hydro and Thom Hammer made a brief appearance with is Thomcat mono’s.

Some of the highlights:

-In trying to get the Q hydro record average sped over 130mph I connected with something in the water at 120+mph. After years of running electric SAW riggers I have learned that two or three riggers for one class is a good idea in case the worst happens. Luckily I had built two identical riggers in case this happened. After settling on a 128mph average in Q, I switched to S with my carbon rigger. Come witching hour on Sunday I made a crooked first pass at 129mph and a follow up pass at 123mph also crooked which capped an excellent weekend for me.

-Brian Neal had the best High and Low moment happen twice. 120+ mph passes followed by 120+mph stuffs which caused the cowls to fail and cats to sink. The first cat stuffed and sank right in the middle of the traps and was salvaged quickly with some damage to the hull. The second stuff and sink happened on Sunday after he had set a record in T O/S and was also trying to get an average of 135mph (his goal). This time the crash occurred in the deep section of the lake and took about 2 hours of dragging to salvage. The crash was pretty severe as one can imagine stuffing at 125mph. Even though Brian sacrificed a lot of hardware this weekend he was genuinely happy with his achievement and had even loftier goals for the next event.

Brian Buass ran his P hydro most of the weekend with numerous passes in and around 115mph striving to hit the 120mph mark. He spent a great deal of time making small changes to props and checking data in between rounds on his Castle equipped rigger. He too make some spectacular passes right at witching hour upping his 115mph record set earlier in the weekend to 116 followed by 117mph. As is customary with Brian he was willing to help with set-up and prop selection including helping me with both of my record passes at 130mph and 129mph in Q and S respectively. Couldn’t ask for a better team mate!

Darin and Wilmer were fighting neck and neck with the small cell count boats in M2 and N1. Looking at the number of runs on the laptop it seemed between the two of them half of the total runs made were with the small boats. I would love to tell you more about what they did but I honestly could not keep them straight with the number of passes they make.

Mark Grim ran his X hydro in the mornings when the air was good and make some 110 to 120 mph passes like they were easy in till he ran too close to empty and as soon as the rigger ran lean it grabbed another gear blowing the tail and stuffing. A little damage side lined the boat from running anymore that weekend. Mark also broke in a new CMB27 in his Grim Reaper tub with passes in the 90’s. I believe he still had a turn fin on the boat and was just running his “medium” speed prop. Kim Grim took a break from cooking to run her Jersey Skiff for a new record with an average speed of 54mph.

Boyd who has only been straight lining for about 2 years has been bitten pretty bad by the bug and brought a flotilla of cats to run although he mostly concentrated on P and S O/S. Driveline problems and other gremlins reared their ugly heads but Boyd was able to set the Q offshore record above 100mph. In P O/S he made a 100mph pass but could not back it up. We know he will be back in the fall with some revised systems to avoid the gremlins.

Mark Ferreira brought out a Delta Force mono to run in T mono trying to break the elusive 100mph mono target. Water line issues followed by subsequent drying periods of electronics forced Mark to re-plumb the entire cooling system. Mark made several passes in the high 80’s and perhaps one or two in the low 90’s although a back up pass was just out of reach. The boat looks very solid and will give Mr. Smock a run for his money at the next event.

Steve and Jack O’Donnell brought out their very fast A hydro which showed a good bit of potential.
Howard Welch ran his Backlash in GX-1 sport hydro and make a number of passes in the 90’s.
On Saturday Scott Bouchie showed up with Martin Truex Jr. for a little bench racing which turned into a long afternoon of bench racing.

That’s what I can remember from the weekend. Again thanks to Mark, Kim, Howard, Brian, Darin and everyone who attended the event. A special thank you to Tony Heller for capturing video. You can’t beat the weather, good water, racing buddies and Kim’s cooking. We’ll see you in the fall.

Tyler

BILL OXIDEAN
03-28-2013, 12:29 AM
As of Saturday he was at 42.638mph according to Kim's figure

Can anyone do an official list of records and speeds?

RaceMechaniX
03-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Bill,

I am waiting to get the official records from Mark and Kim. They have to check all the paperwork and will double check the numbers. Once they do that I will post them.

Tony,

Can you set-up the youtube video as a non-public video so I have to have the link to access the video. This would prevent Joe public from searching and coming across the bird strike.

TG

BILL OXIDEAN
03-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Awesome..

Doug Smock
03-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Mark Ferreira brought out a Delta Force mono to run in T mono trying to break the elusive 100mph mono target. Water line issues followed by subsequent drying periods of electronics forced Mark to re-plumb the entire cooling system. Mark made several passes in the high 80’s and perhaps one or two in the low 90’s although a back up pass was just out of reach. The boat looks very solid and will give Mr. Smock a run for his money at the next event.
Tyler

Mark and I have had similar learning curves. I had the same issues in Elizabeth City last spring.
Keep after it Mark, you'll get it done.:thumbup1:

RaceMechaniX
04-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Here are the official records from the Legg Lake SAW race.

TG

Record Type: Straight Away
Class: P Hydro
Name: Brian Buaas
Date: 03/23/2013
Seconds: 1.921
MPH: 117.126
Engine/Motor: HET
Hull: Raptor
Prop: Octura 2140
Speed Control: Castle Creations
Battery: Aquacraft

Class: Q Hydro
Name: Tyler Garrard
Date: 03/24/2013
Seconds: 1.753
MPH: 128.351
Engine/Motor: Lehner
Hull: SAW Assassin
Prop: ABC-BB 1818
Speed Control: Schulze
Battery: Dinogy

Class: S Hydro
Seconds: 1.776
MPH: 126.689
Engine/Motor: NEU
Prop: ABC-BB 1718
Speed Control: Castle
Battery: Hyperion

Class: M-2 Mono
Name: Wilmer Oxidean
Seconds: 7.968
MPH: 45.290
Engine/Motor: Novak
Hull: BBY Oval Master
Prop: Octura
Speed Control: Novak
Battery: Venom

Class: S Offshore
Name: Boyd Marshall
Seconds: 2.389
MPH: 94.182
Engine/Motor: NEU 1527
Hull: Hydro & Marine Maritimo
Prop: FCR 5218

Class: T Offshore
Name: Brian Neal
Seconds: 1.760
MPH: 127.841
Hull: HPR 135
Prop: Octura 60mm
Battery: TP-5000

Class: Jersey Skiff
Name: Kim Grim
Seconds: 4.247
MPH: 52.979
Engine/Motor: CC Racing Zenoah
Hull: Aeromarine
Prop: Prather 270

BILL OXIDEAN
04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Here are the official records from the Legg Lake SAW race.

TG

Class: P Hydro
Name: Brian Buaas
Seconds: 1.921
MPH: 117.126
Engine/Motor: HET
Hull: Raptor
Prop: Octura 2140
Speed Control: Castle Creations
Battery: Aquacraft

Class: Q Hydro
Seconds: 1.753
MPH: 128.351
Prop: ABC-BB 1818

Class: S Hydro
Seconds: 1.776
MPH: 126.689
Engine/Motor: NEU
Prop: ABC-BB 1718
Speed Control: Castle
Battery: Hyperion

Class: M-2 Mono
Name: Wilmer Oxidean
Seconds: 7.968
MPH: 45.290
Engine/Motor: Novak
Hull: BBY Oval Master
Prop: Octura
Speed Control: Novak
Battery: Venom

Class: S Offshore
Name: Boyd Marshall
Seconds: 2.389
MPH: 94.182
Engine/Motor: NEU 1527
Hull: Hydro & Marine Maritimo
Prop: FCR 5218
Speed Control: Shulze

Class: T Offshore
Name: Brian Neal
Seconds: 1.760
MPH: 127.841
Hull: HPR 135
Prop: Octura 60mm
Speed Control: Shulze
Battery: TP-5000

Class: Jersey Skiff
Name: Kim Grim
Seconds: 4.247
MPH: 52.979
Engine/Motor: CC Racing Zenoah
Hull: Aeromarine
Prop: Prather 270

Tyler-G this is probably the most thorough I've seen records posted, great job! and congrats to the contestants!
All you guys did phenom, but I'm most impressed with the Skiff! Kim cooked a five course steak lunch, then pulled the rip cord on a skiff to set a record, and that pup was MEOWING up and down the traps Real good.

Chilli
04-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Congrats to everyone. Impressive numbers out of Legg as usual. :thumbup1:

Bill I don't know how you squeeze all that power out of those little motors for Team Novak. Great Job!! Hope to see you on the east coast this year.

BILL OXIDEAN
04-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Congrats to everyone. Impressive numbers out of Legg as usual. :thumbup1:

Bill I don't know how you squeeze all that power out of those little motors for Team Novak. Great Job!! Hope to see you on the east coast this year.

Thank you Very much kind mister, conditions weren't perfect, but I managed to blister one out.
I lost a rigger in the process. A prized one, but I'll recover. Here is a picture with me and the Hot little BBY Oval Master full carbon mono in question.

I would like to thank Atomik, Venom, Airtronics, Team Novak, Boca Bearings, A-Main Hobbies, Kicker audio, and BBY racing 96710

ManuelW
04-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Awesome result guys, lets see what the 2nd SAW in Autumn brings...:buttrock:

regards,
Manuel

Darin Jordan
04-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Awesome result guys, lets see what the 2nd SAW in Autumn brings...:buttrock:

regards,
Manuel

The 2nd SAW is being moved to November. It was in October, but apparently they were told by Park management at Legg that the weekend wasn't available.

thomaslambo
04-08-2013, 07:38 PM
The 2nd SAW is being moved to November. It was in October, but apparently they were told by Park management at Legg that the weekend wasn't available.
Thanks for the early heads up....let us know the new official date as soon as you know.

Also, good to see you at this event (we missed you at the one before).....events aren't the same without you and Brian stirring up the "Magic Cauldron of Performance" :flammes-09:

Boyd

Fluid
04-08-2013, 08:49 PM
The 2nd SAW is being moved to November. It was in October, but apparently they were told by Park management at Legg that the weekend wasn't available.WHAT!! Exactly when is it supposed to be so I can roll the dice and see if I can make it? :scared: