PDA

View Full Version : Why a power supply

gfm1135
03-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Can someone explain why utilizing a power supply and a DC charger is preferred over a charger that has internal power supply AC DC.
thanks

Heaving Earth
03-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Because you can get more watts out of a seperate supply

gfm1135
03-10-2013, 03:29 PM
And more watts = faster charge times?

Heaving Earth
03-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah. It's either Amps or watts, I can't remember but either way yes faster charge times

properchopper
03-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Mr. Earth is correct - the more power the internal charging circuit of your charger gets supplied, the faster you can charge or the more batteries you can charge simultaneously. For example, charging two 5000mah packs at 2C at the same time would require a stable 20 amps being supplied to the charging circuit. In the picture, the small red power supply is 25A and would have to be built into the charger to have an integrated, all-in-one unit to accomplish this. It would end up being a rather large piece. Many racers race multiple classes in a day and require running several chargers at one time so a high capacity power supply can run several chargers at once (like Big Bertha in the picture).

It's much more financially feasable to have one nice big power supply with tons of headroom than to have an integrated unit if you need good charging power 'tho this might not be an issue for casual sport running.

gfm1135
03-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the info

jj2003
03-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Hey Prop,

What's Big Bertha's brand and where'd you pick her up? I'm currently using a 24v setup with 1150 amps powering a tp 1430 and a 610c. I want to add two more but I think I need two more power supplies.

Mr. Earth is correct - the more power the internal charging circuit of your charger gets supplied, the faster you can charge or the more batteries you can charge simultaneously. For example, charging two 5000mah packs at 2C at the same time would require a stable 20 amps being supplied to the charging circuit. In the picture, the small red power supply is 25A and would have to be built into the charger to have an integrated, all-in-one unit to accomplish this. It would end up being a rather large piece. Many racers race multiple classes in a day and require running several chargers at one time so a high capacity power supply can run several chargers at once (like Big Bertha in the picture).

It's much more financially feasable to have one nice big power supply with tons of headroom than to have an integrated unit if you need good charging power 'tho this might not be an issue for casual sport running.

properchopper
03-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Hey Prop,

What's Big Bertha's brand and where'd you pick her up? I'm currently using a 24v setup with 1150 amps powering a tp 1430 and a 610c. I want to add two more but I think I need two more power supplies.

It's an Astron RM 50-M from Astron Corp in Irvine CA. I picked it up several years ago at Winter Warmups from a racer who had a few he was selling for $65 ea.. Couldn't resist. I installed the dual input banana plug-ins myself. Been happy ever since (except for the hernia from moving it):crying:

EDIT : I cautiously ( living not far from West Hollywood "Boys Town") googled ASTRON and found this :

http://www.astroncorp.com/showpage.asp?p=2

Likely a King's ransom for a new one 'tho :noidea:

Heaving Earth
03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
That sucker looks about as fun as lugging around my Marshall 9000! 3 power transformers in that sucker made it a boat anchor 95088

properchopper
03-10-2013, 11:33 PM
That sucker looks about as fun as lugging around my Marshall 9000! 3 power transformers in that sucker made it a boat anchor 95088

Yeah, but does yours do this ? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeOXsA8sp_E

Heaving Earth
03-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Lol one of my all time favs

NativePaul
03-11-2013, 05:18 AM
I'm currently using a 24v setup with 1150 amps but I think I need two more power supplies.

You have a 27.6KW power supply and need 2 more, what the hell are you charging? Your 1:1 scale delorean time machine with electric hover conversion? Here's a tip don't bother with the chargers, use it once from storage voltage to get to the future and get a Mr Fusion to supply all your power needs.

fjelling
03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I bet my nutsack that he mean 1150 watts:roflol:

jj2003
03-12-2013, 12:24 AM
I bet my nutsack that he mean 1150 watts:roflol:

You would be correct :thumbup1: Hit reply before I realized what I typed :doh:

jj2003
03-12-2013, 12:26 AM
You have a 27.6KW power supply and need 2 more, what the hell are you charging? Your 1:1 scale delorean time machine with electric hover conversion? Here's a tip don't bother with the chargers, use it once from storage voltage to get to the future and get a Mr Fusion to supply all your power needs.

Caught it to late Nativepaul :doh: I meant watts, not amps. Now my jigawatt charger in the garage is another story.....:lol:

jj2003
03-12-2013, 12:37 AM
It's an Astron RM 50-M from Astron Corp in Irvine CA. I picked it up several years ago at Winter Warmups from a racer who had a few he was selling for $65 ea.. Couldn't resist. I installed the dual input banana plug-ins myself. Been happy ever since (except for the hernia from moving it):crying:

EDIT : I cautiously ( living not far from West Hollywood "Boys Town") googled ASTRON and found this :

http://www.astroncorp.com/showpage.asp?p=2

Likely a King's ransom for a new one 'tho :noidea:

What I'm doing is setting up 2 icharger 4010's along with one TP1430. I'm going to give my son the TP610 to charge the 2s batts for his sc10. I'm using a number of 10s batts in 2p for the speedfreak and a few 5s and 6s in series for the CF cat. If I'm charging up 2 10s batts at once @3c and 2 5s and 2 6s batts at once @3c, I think I'll be running low on power(watts) available to me. I'm having difficulty applying a formula to figure out what my max charge rate is while charging 6 batteries at once.

NativePaul
03-12-2013, 03:09 AM
You don't say what capacity your batteries are, but if I assume 5000mAh you would be pumping 2646W into them to charge at the 3C rate you want, assuming 80% efficiency for the chargers you need 3175W of power supply to charge all your cells at 3C.

Do you have a lake in your garden? I only charge at 1C or below at home, the rate doesn't matter too much to me as however fast I charge I can only get one charge in at home so there is no point in stressing the cells more than I have to. Field charging is another matter though as when I am at the lake charging at a higher rate will give me more runs and more fun.