PDA

View Full Version : help removing water jacket from stock bj 29 motor

awfireman
03-09-2013, 08:02 PM
I need some help removing the water jacket off a stock PB BJ 29. Is there a set screw somewhere?

Thanks -Fireman

Megabiker98
03-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Nope just slide it off, use ur muscles! Hahah

tlandauer
03-09-2013, 08:29 PM
There is no set screws on water jacket. The rubber gaskets ( O - rings) sometimes dries out and gets stuck on the motor cans. You can spray some WD-40 and see if it will free it. If the O-rings are ok, wash them with warm soap. Not sure what the long term effects of WD-40 on rubber. Silicone based spray lubricant will also work and I believe is safer on rubber.

Alexgar
03-10-2013, 01:32 AM
I use bearing oil then drill a hole in a block larger than the shaft and use that as a base then take a small piece of wood put it on the jacket as to not dent it gently tap the jacket with a hammer and once its broken loose from its original location it moves pretty easy

roadrashracing
03-10-2013, 05:41 AM
I always had good luck twisting it as I pulled it off.

Steve McGinley
03-10-2013, 10:35 AM
I used a large socket big enough to make contact with the water jacket and set it inside the socket and then take another socket small enough to make contact with the motor. Then I used a rubber mallet to tap down on the socket enough to work it loose. Once it starts moving it should come apart fairly easy. Kind of works like a bearing/bushing press.

lenny
03-10-2013, 10:50 AM
If the O-rings are still good,
When you go to put it back on the motor use some pool pump O-ring lube for the O-rings,
And that should help with the sealing of jacket and stop the sticking to.

mappo
03-10-2013, 02:34 PM
I need some help removing the water jacket off a stock PB BJ 29. Is there a set screw somewhere?

Thanks -Fireman

My method was to spray The o rings
with corrosion x let sit for.5min then slide off. It worked for me

awfireman
03-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys. Going to try the corrosion x and see how it goes. I appreciate the help....kinda new to all this but learning....even balanced my first prop yesterday!

tlandauer
03-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys. ....even balanced my first prop yesterday!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Cheers!