PDA

View Full Version : New system installed!

Megabiker98
03-09-2013, 11:45 AM
I got my tacon 4074 2150 kv, t-180 installed. Everything 5.5mm bullets, 2 2s 5,000 mah batteries, but as of NOW my main concern (not huge) but my rudder linkage boot has a little tear on it, if it happens to flip will water get in through there? How would I replace it when I do as it seems connected to the hull pretty darn good!

lenny
03-09-2013, 12:14 PM
You could use it as is and put some rtv silicone or goop on the tear for now to run it,
Than you order a new one and when you want to replace it just take out the old one.
And add a piece of tube to the hole and ca it in than put the new one on the tube with ca.

Megabiker98
03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Ok, will it let any excess water in until that point? Or is it just more of a looks thing?

JimClark
03-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Mine was CA'd on I plan on installing a tube in the hull that the like this

http://jimclark.smugmug.com/Radio-Control/Timex-Build/i-Cb3LSgx/0/XL/2012-07-06_13-15-06_296-XL.jpg

Megabiker98
03-10-2013, 08:41 PM
That link wouldn't work for me???

lenny
03-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Same hear on the link,
What coupler are you using in your setup that is not holding the flex shaft tight ?
Have any pictures of your setup and boat and hardware ?
Also I set my LV to 2.8 on the seaking 180a and packs come in with 3.88v a cell.

Megabiker98
03-10-2013, 09:05 PM
The stock proboat coupler....how did u know it wasnt staying tight??? 😮 And I'm not sure if it was just because I didn't tighten it enough or not. However I was making sure I tightened it though!!

JimClark
03-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Fixed the link same photo as Lennie had of my boat build

Megabiker98
03-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Wouldn't that let water in if it flips over though???

lenny
03-10-2013, 09:24 PM
I had to fix my stock coupler to on my Mystic,
You can take it off and the motor and clean out fingers with sand paper,
Or a cutting wheel on a dremel, But go easy on what you take out.
I ran mine to day and it ran very smooth and pretty fast on 4s2p,
Shot some video of it, But it did not come out to good this time.
I had the zoom set in a little to close to say with it.

Megabiker98
03-10-2013, 09:27 PM
What do u mean by the fingers??? I'm might know what u mean but an not positive!?

lenny
03-10-2013, 09:28 PM
No,
You still put the boot on the tube.
Instead of through the hole in hull.

ray schrauwen
03-10-2013, 09:30 PM
When the outer part of the coupler is removed, the inner part has gaps and the metal parts that clamp the cable could be described as 'fingers'.

What do u mean by the fingers??? I'm might know what u mean but an not positive!?

Heaving Earth
03-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Install brass tube then slip a new boot on and zip tie it on. So simple it's ridiculous

lenny
03-10-2013, 09:35 PM
The brass piece,
See how it looks open.

lenny
03-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Boy That is a pretty boat Jim.:tiphat:

Megabiker98
03-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Ya it is a nice boat, and I am at dinner right now I will look at mine when I get home!

Megabiker98
03-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Mine doesn't have a brass piece?? I'm assuming that is a problem! Hahah here's. couple pics of mine.

Heaving Earth
03-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Yours doesn't use a brass insert

lenny
03-10-2013, 11:36 PM
No,
The brass piece is for a different coupler.
Mine is like your to, But mine is black,
The finger slots look wide on your coupler.
Mine where pretty tight,
How tight did you tighten it up when it slipping on you ?
Double wrench in one hand ?

Megabiker98
03-10-2013, 11:51 PM
I could have sworn I tightened it pretty darn good!! Can I see a picture of what u did to urs?

lenny
03-11-2013, 12:36 AM
I just took it a part like yours,
And than modded the fingers so they would close more on the flex shaft.

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 12:52 AM
I don't know, since this was my first time with this problem, ill keep an eye on how it holds next time I drive it and if its coming out then ill fix the problem! It quite possibly could have been me just not tightening it all the way.

lenny
03-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Have any pictures of your setup and boat and hardware ?
Or any video's of it running.

I don't know, since this was my first time with this problem, ill keep an eye on how it holds next time I drive it and if its coming out then ill fix the problem! It quite possibly could have been me just not tightening it all the way.

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Ill get a couple uploaded right now, no video yet, as I don't have any good cameras that I can hold while I'm running, all I hae is my iPhone and that's kinda hard to film with, should have some around Mother's Day though! (Long time I know) As to hardware, stock rudder, strut, pretty much everything except the prop, and electronics. Ill get some pics now

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 01:05 AM
The prop is a sharpened and balanced octura x642, I'm THINKING about getting an m445. That's most likely gonna come after I get a new transmitter to replace stock. The strut is set level with the bottom of the boat. Haven't had any chances to dial it in yet, when I went out today it was choppy, and my run time was cut in half due to the lvc as explained earlier

lenny
03-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Yes on the m445 and modded some.
Strut look high,
Is it set level with the sponson's on a table ?
And the cell set them where the boat rails ends, About 1/2 passed the motor mount.
Your are to far foward and will run wet.
Than try it and like that, Than move them 1/2" towards the bow and try again.
If your running 4s cell try them at the motor mount.
I just posted a video of mine running form today.

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 01:49 AM
Ya last time I set it up on a table it was level, ill check again tommorrow morning. And I am running 2s packs! I watched ur video, can't wait to get mine to an open lake!!!!! My local pond is pretty compact!!! What prop do u have on urs?
Edit: yep strut is set level with the sponsons on a table

Heaving Earth
03-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Bring the strut up 3/16 higher than level

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 10:46 AM
HIGHER? :o ok I will try it! Hahah

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm stuck in the middle, I wanna get a new radio and I wanna get the m445 prop, I don't know which to get first. Radio im getting is the flysky gt3c, or a sharpened and balanced m445. If I get the radio I'm afraid they will run out of the sharpened and balance props. I wanna get te pre balanced prop because I don't have enough time right now to sharpen one. What do u guys think I should do?

Heaving Earth
03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
The prop will give more performance than a radio change will

ray schrauwen
03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
My suggestion would be either the GT3B or the latest FLYSKY RC Model FS-iT4 4ch 2.4GHz

The power button on the steering wheel for the GT3C is known to shut the radio down because it pinches the power switch wires when you steer. You don't need to fix a brand new radio.

That said there are some crazy deals on some name brand 2.4G radio's lately too.

Just thought I'd warn ya. ;)

I'm stuck in the middle, I wanna get a new radio and I wanna get the m445 prop, I don't know which to get first. Radio im getting is the flysky gt3c, or a sharpened and balanced m445. If I get the radio I'm afraid they will run out of the sharpened and balance props. I wanna get te pre balanced prop because I don't have enough time right now to sharpen one. What do u guys think I should do?

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 06:23 PM
My suggestion would be either the GT3B or the latest FLYSKY RC Model FS-iT4 4ch 2.4GHz

The power button on the steering wheel for the GT3C is known to shut the radio down because it pinches the power switch wires when you steer. You don't need to fix a brand new radio.

That said there are some crazy deals on some name brand 2.4G radio's lately too.

Just thought I'd warn ya. ;)
I have heard of this problem before and thought I read something about it being fixed with the new gt3c (green) version? Was that just a rumor? Hmm. Ill have to look into the name brand sales!!!
I'm still undecided about the choice though, most likely prop is gonna get priority!

ray schrauwen
03-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Good choice. You will like the prop much better.

I dunno, just my buddy bought a GT3C and it crapped out on him. Lucky he had someone to re-rig it.

The green could be better but, why chance it right now. China will keep pumping out more 'stuff' faster than you can think.

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Is it really that big of a difference? :o. Ya I don't I will wait a little while to get the remote and do a follow up and see if the green is fixed or not! Sounds like a plan to me! Hahaha

lenny
03-11-2013, 09:18 PM
:tiphat:
Also move the water lines on the motor,
If you can spin the jacket so the out let nipple is on top and in the center of the motor.
You want the water coming in at the bottom nipple on the jacket,
This way it fills the hole jacket up to the top nipple.
Than going out the hull, You will have 25% more water in the jacket that way and better cooling.
What other boats and radios do you have ?

Ya last time I set it up on a table it was level, ill check again tommorrow morning. And I am running 2s packs! I watched ur video, can't wait to get mine to an open lake!!!!! My local pond is pretty compact!!! What prop do u have on urs?
Edit: yep strut is set level with the sponsons on a table

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 09:19 PM
I just took a look at raising it 3/16 up, and BOY does that seem super high, do u mean 3/16 from level with sponsons???

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Ok what about this water route configuration?? Just wanted to see if this will work without having to take it off? Ill take it off if it won't work though
I only have the mystic, and an on road car. I am looking into another boat, that won't be for a while though! Hahaha

lenny
03-11-2013, 09:51 PM
That will work better,
The jacket should spin in the boat if you add some soupy water in the nipple,
And around the out side of the jacket O-rings.
Just work it a little.
Tactic radio's work good for me and the rx is pretty cheap to, I use one tx and I have 10 rx's.
You just bind all the rx to one tx.
I have a gt3b but never try that yet.

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
How much should I spin it around 90 degrees 180???

lenny
03-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Till the exit nipple is on top of the motor,
Like this.

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Alright that would make sense!! What is ur strut set at?? Is it the way the prop is supposed to be, it looks like it has a little ding in it towards the center??

lenny
03-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Yes, :tongue_smilie:
Prop has lots of TLC and modding to it.
Strut level with the sponson's like I said before.
I also modded the rudder pin to take up the looseness it had,
Still looking things over for more idea's on modding a few things.
And also the trays for easier 4s cells placement.

Megabiker98
03-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Hmm alright ill try strut level with sponsons then 3/16 from there and see how it does! What did u do to the rudder pin?? Ur talking about the little slack it has forward and backwards correct?

lenny
03-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Yes, And side to side to,
I made a new one out of some soft aluminum round stock.
And I think it will brake the pin first if I hit something hard in the water,
To save the transom from being ripped out.
When the water get warmer I may need to find more cooling to,
For hot weather setups.

Megabiker98
03-12-2013, 12:23 AM
On my boat I need more cooling??? DA*****!!!!!! That's where the majority if my running will be, the river! It's typically around 110 or so, water temp of around 65-70!!! Where could I get more cooling at? Like placement wise?
Edit: whoops misread that! Hahaha I thought u put a "u" not an "I"

lenny
03-12-2013, 12:41 AM
You may be ok with those water temps on 4s and your setup,
If not just prop down to lower the amps and drop some heat on that setup.
You will lose a little speed but still have fun running it.
I may test some water pickups I made on this boat.
And also may sand the bottom of the hull with 400 grit sandpaper,
That will let the hull air out more and run with less drag to.

Megabiker98
03-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Ya slower can mean more fun, longer sometimes! Hahaha. If u do end up doing that let me know how it ends up plz!! Where did u place the pickups, r they just the stray ones that run off the transom?

Megabiker98
03-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Lenny, have u done anything a to ur bushings??? I have heard of some people saying there is a problem with that? What would it sound like or would there be any indication of a problem with it?

lenny
03-12-2013, 11:34 PM
I have not fixed that yet,
But need to, It is very loose on mine at the prop shaft.
Pro boat used some cheap bushings in the strut,
And they will wear fast if the prop is not S & B to.
It will wobble up and down and side to side if you move it with your fingers.
I may use these to fix it.http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-16-lead-teflon-bushing-for-rc-boat-6-pcs-/140352337980

Megabiker98
03-12-2013, 11:43 PM
How do u replace it?? Does it just slide right out the back? I was going to get the replacement from kintecracing, http://kintecracing.com/Miss_Geico_Upgrades.html?no_redirect=true

lenny
03-13-2013, 12:04 AM
A little heat to loosen it and they should press out,
And the new ones press in.
I know the racer use the ones I posted,
But not to sure about the one you posted.
Try a search on that one.

Megabiker98
03-17-2013, 08:39 PM
A little heat to loosen it and they should press out,
And the new ones press in.
I know the racer use the ones I posted,
But not to sure about the one you posted.
Try a search on that one.
Quick question, when I raise the strut should I try to keep it as level as possible when moving it up and down??

lenny
03-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Yes,
keep it level with the sponson's.
It get's enough air under the hull,
You just need to find the right CG for the cells.

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Wow, when I put the m445 on, there isn't very much room to thread the prop nut on, is there anything I could do to secure it more? Is that usual? The threads don't even go half way through the prop nut!

ray schrauwen
04-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Do you have a stock flex shaft or an upgraded one? I had no idea you would run into this situation.... sorry. Maybe you could pull the flex out of the flex collet some (3/16") if there is enough left to clamp and then move the drive dog back for more threads???

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Yes I'm running stock prop shaft and cable, ill take a couple pics to show u how much it is holding on!

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 02:16 PM
The first one shows how much threading I have to work with, the second is the nut threaded on!

ray schrauwen
04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Measure how much flex goes into the flex collet. If you can pull the cable out a bit without compromising how well the cable is held, then you can move the drive dog back some.
Otherwise you may be needing a new shaft so the cable doesn't destroy itself at the collet and take the collet with it or more.

Some people are good at shaving down the drive end of prop hub and take a bit of the tips of the drive dog but, a new cable could be the easiest fix...

BTW, I do no buy pre made upgrade cable because I can handle cutting soldering the new cable. Just make sure what you buy, that it has a longer stub shaft so you can put any prop on it. I pretty sure the one Steve sells at OSE has this figured out BUT, I could be wrong!

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Ok, so u do NOT recommend running it like this? I kinda figured that was gonna be the outcome, would loc-tite help at all???

ray schrauwen
04-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Loctite could help but, if it seeps into the stub shaft, then you may have trouble getting the prop off.

Cheaper, simpler fix may work is to use a proper Octura or Aeromarine locknut. They are shorter and start locking on the first few threads.

Someone on here long ago said they were called something special if you wanted to order them. Something like an aircraft locknut where the bore is almost oval to create locking as soon as you get one or two threads on.

It's your call. Nice prop and would not want to lose it. Ahh, the urge to get on soft water, I feel your pain sir!!!

ray schrauwen
04-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Was it an M445 or an x445 with the tongues cut off? An x445 has a huge hub.

If you have a grinder you could quickly grind off 1/16" from the back of prop hub.. Remember a mask!!! BerCopper!

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 02:51 PM
I am not sure, I bought it from a user on this site, it's an m445 that's about all I know!!! Hahaha, ya I'm setting all my boats up for my first river trip! I ALMOST put off putting the prop on until I got to the river, I'm glad I didn't though!!!!
Edit: if someone could chime in about what the name of that prop nut he is talking about would be great!

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Ok I'm taking a couple measurements and right now the shaft, FIRST makes contact with about 12mm of PROP shaft left, about how many mm would the collet need at the least to have a secure lock??

ray schrauwen
04-08-2013, 03:05 PM
If it says M445 on the end it is M445 if it says x445 it is a cut x445.

ray schrauwen
04-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Doesn't leave you much if you take out 4mm max leving you with 8mm in the collet.
How much space do you leave in between the drive dog and the strut? If it was me and only me... I would remove the plastic white washer but, that JUST ME. It is there so in case of mistake (loose collet) that it doesn't start grinding your strut to all heck.

Ok I'm taking a couple measurements and right now the shaft, FIRST makes contact with about 12mm of PROP shaft left, about how many mm would the collet need at the least to have a secure lock??

ray schrauwen
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Ooops, I may have mislead you to think you can just mash the drive dog against the strut. No no, make sure you leave 3-4mm space for cable shrinkage otherwise grinding will be nasty and break things.

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Ya I know for a fact it's an m445! Lemme rephrase this in hopes of making it more understandable! Hahaha. So when I have my flex shaft where I want it to be to drive, it is pushed ALL the way into the collet. Ur saying if I move my drive dog back about 4mm it would still make good contact and the collet will still grip the shaft well?

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 03:42 PM
And I usually leave about 2mm inbetween my drive dog and strut
Quick question, moving the drive dog won't affect anything, just freeing up room correct?

ray schrauwen
04-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Yes, freeing up room is what I'm trying to help you achieve. You have to leave a min. 8-10mm in the flex collet and you have to have a good 2-3mm space between the drive dog and strut.

The flex collet you have I have in my hand. When the clamp nut is removed the splines are 7.25mm long so you don't want any less than 8mm in the collet but, any more than that is doing nothing but sitting in an unclamped .150" bore. Eventually you will most likely benefit from a better cable but, this should do for now.

I think we are clear as mud by now right? :blink: Kidding.

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Alright, so I was gonna move the drive dog a little, just to check it out (I made marks were it was before I moved it) but as I moved it, there's like a flat spot, for the grub screws, but the flat spot doesn't go far enough back to move the drive dog at all! I am almost positive that putting a grub screw on a rounded surface won't do anything right? (Won't do anything as in, wont contact or hold anything it's meaning to hold

ray schrauwen
04-08-2013, 04:07 PM
This is another snag I was thinking you may run into. You MUST have a flat spot for the set screw of the drive dog or you will go nowhere.

So, now if you move it back a bit, the flat spot has moved. To fix this you need to grind the flat spot further back so the set screw can hold onto something 4-shure.

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Dangit, I had a feeling set screws needed a flat surface! Hahahah, going back to the loctite talk, if I applied the loctite to the nut itself, then screwed it on, it would reduce the possibility of it getting into the prop threads right???

ray schrauwen
04-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Yes it would. Are you using Blue or the weak Purple stuff? In this case Blue is better.

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm gonna use the strongest stuff I can find! Hahahahaha, even then on the first run I'm gonna be bringing it in as it will be my first time using the boat on a longer wide open run, so this will be added to the list of frequent checks every time it's brought in! Lol

ray schrauwen
04-08-2013, 04:27 PM
All the best. Hopefully you don't lose that prop!

Megabiker98
04-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Ya, I'm super nervous cause I DON'T not want to loose it!! If I do, hopefully the divers that have been there the last 2 years will be there this time and can help me out!!! 😂

Megabiker98
05-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Ran it a couple times this weekend, about 4 times or so ROUGHLY, the first time I ran it, I had the strut set to where u guys told me at first, and I am not positive but I think that was to much of an adjustment as it was pushing into the air a lot, but the wind was blowing into it also, flipped it 2 times the first run. Brought it in after the 2nd flip cause I was scared to death after that! Hahaha, 2nd run I decided to lower the strut to level with the sponsons, and ran it like that and it ran quite a bit better! Wouldn't say it was great but it was definently good! Wasn't flipping, and when it did start to get light on its heels I let out and it came down. The next couple runs ran exactly the same, and I was gonna run it this morning before we left and get some vid for u guys but I THINK the charger overheated or something. It stopped working and I only had 1 battery charged up so I couldn't get any video of it running! Flex shaft stayed in place this time moved MAYBE a mm at most and the prop didn't come loose it stayed on there good! And also if anyone has had the same experience with the over heating charger let me know what I should check. I have a thunder ac680 charger!

Megabiker98
05-28-2013, 05:41 PM
So I ran it a couple more times today, at strut level with sponsons, ran it with this setup about 3-4 times, and it was still a little light as flipped a couple times. But it was windy, so the day came when the water was glass, and I ran it then and it still did the same thing, so I decided to make a change knowing that it wasn't setup properly yet, so I moved the batteries about an 1 inch forward ran it in slight chop/wind and it ran a little better so hopefully I can find out more next time I'm out!

Megabiker98
07-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Ouch, so loctite definently does work. I am currently taking the prop off as I got a new one from kintecracing, and boy is that but on there GOOD!!!! It's giving me a little trouble!!!! Hahaha

lenny
07-08-2013, 06:00 PM
If you use a little heat on the nut it will come off a little easier for you,
Just try not to heat anything else up.
Use some foil as a barrier to black the heat from things.