PDA

View Full Version : HVAC Home thermosat Q, need help please

ray schrauwen
03-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Hello all yee HVAC guru's! I know there are a couple or at least one skulking about in here.

I have this thermostat in my apartment. It controls my own independent HVAC unit that is electric forced air plus an A/C for summer.

I would like to know about the center dial and how to set it so the temp keeps more stable on cold days.

It has some wording on it but, it doesn't seem like any cycle changes when I swing that little metal dial to whatever place.

It is very old and if I wanted to replace it how would I know which wire goes where on the new one (assuming it will be different??)

I know the basics, as the mercury switch falls to the right the heater turns off as it goes the other direction it triggers (closes cct) and heat turns on.

On damp days like today it seems like I cannot get warm no matter what, well unless I crank the hell out of the heat.

Since the thermal coil is so old and caked with Nicotine and tar from previous tenant, could it be out of calibration causing improper temp reading? I dunno, it drives me nuts. I'm either too cold or too hot...

Maybe it's Manopause?? LOL...

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Chillin' :flammes-09:

ray schrauwen
03-07-2013, 01:59 PM
oops pics

ray schrauwen
03-07-2013, 02:07 PM
I took a good look at it and full CCW it has shorter cycles and CW it is longer. I also grabbed the casing and twisted it on the wall CCW about 1/16" and it of course now turns on.

Just lloking for some techno info on this thing so I know what to do or NOT to do.

silver
03-07-2013, 02:20 PM
this is a very old one but there are still working well in the field i see sometimes thouse things no the airco units form Lennox where i work for.

this is a kwik thermostat that has a function fan auto means on/off depending of the temperature and Fan on than it goes all the time.
there is also a contact between cool and heat.
the temperature is mesured by the metal spiraal that moves the kwik contact(bulp).

very simple, i don't wave draings from this thing but its nit that difficult tu figger it out
good luck

ray schrauwen
03-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Thank you. I'll keep playing with it.

I took off the outer Thermometer because it may have been touching the mercury switch stopping it from moving properly. We'll see how it goes.

I set it to the shortest setting.

HydroMike
03-07-2013, 05:54 PM
That's out of date if u go to Lowes they have new t-stats what u are looking for is just a normal heat-a/c t-stat. The wire colors should be red (24),white (heat relay),yellow (a/c contacts),green (fan relay), and sometimes blue for common wire these are the basic. Just keep track of the wires the u take off and what they go to. And before starting turn power off

lenny
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
There should a main kill switch on the wall or on the heater,
And that will turn turn off the 24v transformer for the thermostat control wires.

ray schrauwen
03-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Thank you very, very much. I will think twice about it. There is possibly one personal friend that might be able to come over and help too.

Power off, that's a nice reminder because those wires are so tiny. Green definitely fan relay because the last repair guys left that wire unhooked and I was wondering why I couldn't get the fan on by itself for so long.

ray schrauwen
03-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Yes, but I would most likely need to take the front cover off and thats maybe too deep of a hole to dig... We will see. I will most likely wait until it's nice and warm before I do any changes.

What is nice is that I get so much advice so fast because it is an electric based forum, at the touch of a keyboard... Bada bing!

Thanks Steve for a great forum and thanks for all and any advice guys!:thumbup1:

There should a main kill switch on the wall or on the heater,
And that will turn turn off the 24v transformer for the thermostat control wires.

Doug Smock
03-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Ray,
Make sure that the thermostat is level.
The "center dial" is the heat anticipator. The correct way to set it involves checking the load on the white wire and setting it accordingly.
This will give you a good understanding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clud3BBiQV8
Or you can just play with it until your warm and fuzzy.:wink:

HydroMike
03-07-2013, 06:43 PM
I don't think that will imply for his electric heat that's more for gas or oil
Ray,
The "center dial" is the heat anticipator. The correct way to set it involves checking the load on the white wire and setting it accordingly.

ray schrauwen
03-07-2013, 07:00 PM
That was a cool video! Thanks Doug.

Yes it is electric but, the concept is the same I believe. With my heater the element and fan would come on at the same time, I think...:confused2: Now I need to borrow a clamp meter. I could do it with shunt but, haven't done that since High school.

Now I get it... Oh the anticipation... to be warm & fuzzy :thumbup:

ray schrauwen
03-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Gotcha, will do that too. Need to borrow that too.

I'm late to dinner... ttyl...

Ray,

Doug Smock
03-07-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't think that will imply for his electric heat that's more for gas or oil

I should just delete your post cause you're WRONG. LOL:wink:

Gas heat the gas valve is the load. In his electric unit he has either a contactor, sequencer, or a series of either (depending on the KW) that is the load wired in series with the heat anticipator.
If you don't believe that Ray cut that little silver wire and go get your quilt. LOL

Here is an example of a sequencer. (probably what you have)
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Electric-Sequencer-6UEE9?cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

Doug Smock
03-07-2013, 07:23 PM
The drawing at the top of page 4 shows you how the heat anticipator is wired in series with the control load.

http://www.emersonclimate.com/Documents/White-Rodgers/0037-5026.pdf

lenny
03-07-2013, 07:33 PM
The main kill switch should be easy to get too,
It is there for any emergency or when work needs to be done on the heater.
The heater doors should just lift up and slide off or have a handle to turn and open to access the air filter,
And also to do maintenance on the heater.

HydroMike
03-12-2013, 05:41 PM
:bounce:
I should just delete your post cause you're WRONG. LOL:wink:

Gas heat the gas valve is the load. In his electric unit he has either a contactor, sequencer, or a series of either (depending on the KW) that is the load wired in series with the heat anticipator.
If you don't believe that Ray cut that little silver wire and go get your quilt. LOL

Here is an example of a sequencer. (probably what you have)
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Electric-Sequencer-6UEE9?cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

Doug Smock
03-12-2013, 10:27 PM
:bounce:

:hug1: :thumbup:

egneg
03-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Just call the landlord and complain about no heat ... he is required to fix it.

ray schrauwen
03-13-2013, 10:43 AM
I think I might do that. Besides the heat, one stove element control is burnt out again. Cheap stove...:cursing:

Last time the control on a stove element went I had to show the guy how to fix it. First time he puts the wrong rheostat in and it didn't work so he had to come back with the right part. Why can't I get a cushy job where you get 2 tries at fixing a very simple problem??? I'll keep working on that...

tlandauer
03-14-2013, 11:36 PM
I think I might do that. Besides the heat, one stove element control is burnt out again. Cheap stove...:cursing:

Last time the control on a stove element went I had to show the guy how to fix it. First time he puts the wrong rheostat in and it didn't work so he had to come back with the right part. Why can't I get a cushy job where you get 2 tries at fixing a very simple problem??? I'll keep working on that...
When my satellite dish went bad, the guy they sent had no idea how to even attach a new dish to the bracket, it was 100F* plus out in So Cal, I had to show him how to do it and also help him to HOLD the parts while he fastens them on all the while he was complaining how difficult was for him to live with his girl friend.
One thing for sure, you won't find him or the likes here on the Forum.