PDA

View Full Version : Need advice Dumas Tuna Clipper !!!

wafel1978
06-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Guys !!!

I am building Dumas “Tuna Clipper” (Wooden Boat). I am going to install [Pro Boat----Blackjacks 26 Brushless] Electronics and Brushless motor to her .

I am seeing mods you guys did and I am absolutely impressed.

1. Wondering if the Fuller’s off shore Hardware will be right (good) for this kind of boat ?

Length of boat 37 inch
Wide 8 inch

Maybe you can folks recommend some, I want this boat to be fast .
Waiting for advices.

Thank you for reading
Greeting Pawel

Dr. Jet
06-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi Guys !!!

I am building Dumas “Tuna Clipper” (Wooden Boat). I am going to install [Pro Boat----Blackjacks 26 Brushless] Electronics and Brushless motor to her .

1. Wondering if the Fuller’s off shore Hardware will be right (good) for this kind of boat ?

Length of boat 37 inch
Wide 8 inch

Waiting for advices.

Thank you for reading
Greeting Pawel

Fuller’s hardware is NOT what you want for a displacement hull with a submerged propeller. It is more intended for surface drive applications. Keep your hull just the way you have it now. The BJ brushless motor is WAY too much for this kind of hull, unless you want to put it on a gear drive. I would recommend something like a big brushed motor. An 800 or 900 series Mabuchi, or a similar Pittman boat motor would be your best choice.

You can put enough power into any hull to get it on plane, but a tunaboat will have definite handling problems if you get it going that fast.

My humble recommendations: Put a power system in it that will give long runtimes at SCALE speeds. You will be much happier in the end.

Doby
06-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Fuller’s hardware is NOT what you want for a displacement hull with a submerged propeller. It is more intended for surface drive applications. Keep your hull just the way you have it now. The BJ brushless motor is WAY too much for this kind of hull, unless you want to put it on a gear drive. I would recommend something like a big brushed motor. An 800 or 900 series Mabuchi, or a similar Pittman boat motor would be your best choice.

You can put enough power into any hull to get it on plane, but a tunaboat will have definite handling problems if you get it going that fast.

My humble recommendations: Put a power system in it that will give long runtimes at SCALE speeds. You will be much happier in the end.

:iagree: Best advice for a really bad idea.:iagree:

Manny
06-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Guys !!!

Length of boat 37 inch
Wide 8 inch

Waiting for advices.

Thank you for reading
Greeting Pawel

All the information on your boat can be found here-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803234

Ocean Racer
06-24-2008, 08:07 PM
How fast do you want it to be? In my opinion around 10 or 15 should be max.

wafel1978
06-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Maybe even 25- 30 mph, treat that as a challenge will see the resolt hope that possible :)

Diegoboy
06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
wafel1978,
That's a very nice boat you're building. I run scale boats and fast electrics. The two really shouldn't be combined. I tried it too. I know it's tempting but Dr. Jet is right. A displacement hull isn't meant to get on plane. Imagine a tugboat skipping across the water with almost all of it's hull on the surface. Get yourself a nice Fast electric boat, and keep that beautiful clipper scale (including speed)

wafel1978
06-24-2008, 11:11 PM
guys I will go on the fullspeed time to time on the straigt (section bloks). I am not planing to going lake that all the time. What about Traxxas Villain Ex has almost prity same shape. For that reason I chose this Boat (looking like big motorboat ). Planing to get to her some load to make her go lower in the wather.

What aboat that idea?????

I hope you underestand (Sorry for my English)

chirotray
06-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Hey bro, like i said in the other thread we talked in, scale stuff, Heavy stuff. Some of these guys may have a better idea, but I once built a mr. darby tug boat and ran it off a traxxas emax esc, and a garden tractor battery. killed two birds with one battery. Got my ballast that i needed plus powered the boat for run times that were insane. The boat would run longer than i would ever want to drive it at once. Just a thought for you.