PDA

View Full Version : motor, esc, battery, prop combo for a 18 to 20 " deep vee

hoffy
02-23-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm new to this and have been reading alot and seem a little overwhelmed. I used to play with rc boats along time ago but things are alot different now. I have ordered a 50amp birdie esc, Flex Shaft Suite Magic Cat, a 75 rudder,cheap hk 3 channel radio, I also order a few props from 27 to 36 dia.,other than that I dont have any running gear. I am not completely sure if the stuff I got will work???I also so have an old linburg pt 109 fresh out of damp basement, not been played with for 30 years. I got a brushed motor and a brushed esc to put in it. I haven't really got a clue as what to put in the deep vee, it is wood. I am building it now and may build a larger one but for now just need gear info for a 18 to 20 inch one. I was thinking of using about a 2s or 3s battery pack. I am not sure what motor or what battery pack. The 20c ,50c thing I dont understand completely. I am guessing it will depend on the motor? I know it is discharge rate but dont know how to get a correct amount. I also am unsure of the drive shaft as it has a plastic tube not a copper one. Will I need to put a copper tube over it? I was going to put the shaft under the boat just to keep it cheap. I am not to worried about racing as this is just for fun on a pond, If I build a bigger one then faster would be a great idea. I just dont want to put a lot of cash in this one. Sorry for newbe questions. If you can please keep language to the level of a newbe. :scared:

Basstronics
02-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Thats what we call a submerged setup since the prop will always be in the water. If it came out the transom its a surface setup since half the props in the water.

For props your going to want to stay on the small side since its submerged. I would start with that 26 and you can go up checking temps and if you like the way the boat rides. I would advise a brass tube for the drive shaft to be in (stuffing tube).

For the motor youre not going to need anything ridiculous in size, keeping it simple and cheap I would look for a 2632-3000kv outrunner should be plenty. If you run 2s it will give you around 22k rpm which should be enough for some excitement. If you need more hop up to 3S then and hang on for the ride. Batteries for this would be 1500 mah 2s and/or 3s after trying 2s out. I wouldnt buy anything less than 25c- but with this setup you dont need to go crazy. 35c should be plenty big...

hoffy
02-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Great thanks for the quick reply. I am having a little trouble telling the difference between the drive shafts as there seem to be 3 different places to put them and about 3 or 4 different setups for each. I am fine with mounting this one under. I will get a drive shaft that will work. I was wondering if you had some idea about lenght? maybe half length of boat? or???I have been looking for sugested motor size and only found one. I noticed alot of bigger motors but they were inrunners. Would that make a difference in what size or what kv? Thanks again

Basstronics
02-23-2013, 11:56 AM
There is a balance general rule of thumb 70/30 in monos. So cut the flex shaft to suit.

A different motor that would work is a 28 x ? In about the same kv rating .