PDA

View Full Version : PowerLab8 Regenerative Discharge Failing

Marshall
02-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Problem: My PL8 when properly setup (so I thought) to regen back into an AGM Pb 75Ah--from a certain type of 5S LiPo 5000mah pack well able to provide the amps--lags upon charge/dischg startup, like there is a 10-15 second delay after "LIPO LIPO LIPO CONFIRM"->"OK" is initiated to begin before it just sucks the amps out. This lag in "ramp-up" of amperage, or whatever the charger is doing in this time, seems to be challenging a feature of the charger which switches to internal discharge just during this time period, where a offload LiPo discharge of <25% of AGM charge "SetPoint" (max Pb AGM input current) low-end limit is met. I then get a setpoint that immediately changes to 10.00A, the fans kick on, I get the red alert line on the charge details PC window that it has switched due to the <25% rule being met, and my lipo then discharges wastefully back into heat, and at amps that are low, like ramping 1-5 amps over the rest of the discharge, and yet not even meeting the full 10A internal discharge limit. AGM is selected as charger power source and Pb source is selected, I.E. not the power supply check box. Where are these values of the <25% rule able to be altered?

Various details of my charging: PL8 FW version latest as of now is 3.31, charger is set to regenerative (LiPo->Pb) discharge INTO a more generic brand (Duration Extreme 75Ah AGM [flat not spiral pad cell], 12V automotive batt from Farm and Fleet) Pb AGM battery. Since it had the longest warranty, 8 years, and the other one I bought at the same time off the rack cranks my V8 over with ease in the cold, it seems like a good battery so far in both occasions. The battery is always kept indoors at near room temp.

I have had no issues so far using the PL8 with this battery, it was only when I attempted to raise amps regen into the Pb that this interference occurs suddenly tonight. I had been using a very low, like 8A REGEN setting. I use the PC software to charge and graph, and I charge 5S, 8C charge-rated @ 25A (5.4C) regularly. I play around with presets and thought I knew and understood them and the charger all by now. Well I don't quite get the logic here yet it appears with REGEN.

I use generic, safe, AGM estimates based on web research covering various charge/discharge opinion on auto AGMs of this nature (since my batt specs are yet to be found). My arrived conclusions are that these brands vary highly in float, charge, and discharge specs, and so I have conservatively attempted my comfortable max REGEN DISCHG settings to be: 14.10V peak + 30 amp input max, and 11.80 LV cutoff for the AGM which I will probably raise yet as seeing low 12s makes me shake. :lol: They recommend scary values IMO as default in the charger drop-down menus...15.6V AGM max charge "recommended", 50A(!) charge SetPoint "recommended". Ok, that is for an Optima, but I won't go near it as you can see, when the batteries are made to stick into autos at ~14.4V charge @ X-amperage, I don't see 15.6V being common from an automobile alternator and thus propelling that 8-year warranty. People are going to most likely follow that lead with their own AGMs if they are new to the battery type, and that lead default set happens to be the highest of numbers I have ever seen recommended for AGM. Not Revolectrix's fault, but they could note warnings to the end-user about such high output amps and the caution of properly researching your own AGM.

Okay so hit me. Why am I, or we, getting this delay in charge/discharge begin time anyways?

jcald2000
02-22-2013, 07:25 AM
The delay is the PL 8 testing the lipo and the car battery and cool down.
I discharge 8s 5000's at 40 amps into 2 105 ahr car batterys that starts at half charge 12.0 volts with 6 brake light bulbs across each battery for additional load, it takes 12 min. from full charge to storage charge.
Your 12v battery by it self is not large enough. I would put 10 or 12 car brake bulbs across the car battery for additional load and drop your discharge to 20 amps on a 12 volt system.
I am also set for 14.6 volts.
Plug in your computer and CCS program and go to voltage graph and you can see what is going on in real time.
Pl 8 switches from the battery to internal discharge when the car battery reaches the max volts you set.

Marshall
02-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Ahh the loaded charge is spiking the V reading and it thinks the Pb is full. Gotcha! Thanks

P.S. Part of the reason I'm doing this is to create a better AGM charger than the 3A charger I have for it to run on while off-duty. So, I use my discharge cycles to pump voltage back in of course. I have a 1200W power supply coming so I can put the AGM batt back in the SUV rear mount.