PDA

View Full Version : Superhydrophobic and oleophobic coating

egneg
02-18-2013, 05:50 PM
I would like to see how this would work on a boat hull.

http://www.spillcontainment.com/everdry

$60.00/quart bottom coat and $100.00/quart top coat but they cover 60 square feet.

http://www.spillcontainment.com/amazon

Heaving Earth
02-18-2013, 06:43 PM
The video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Eodman
02-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Should break water adhesion on the hull .... making it slicker than goose grease! Wonder if it would make things waterproof.

Eodman
02-18-2013, 10:03 PM
wonder what kind of shelf life it has once its open!

egneg
02-19-2013, 07:31 AM
I was also wondering if it would be safe to use on electronics and shelf life once open. Maybe they will come out with smaller containers as $160.00 is a bit much. This is brand new stuff and they have been swamped with questions from folks.

Eodman
02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Oh Steven, this could be aproduct for the store. Perhaps they would allow you to repackage it!

Heaving Earth
02-19-2013, 07:50 PM
I was also wondering if it would be safe to use on electronics and shelf life once open. Maybe they will come out with smaller containers as $160.00 is a bit much. This is brand new stuff and they have been swamped with questions from folks.

It is non conductive and safe temps up to 300 degrees

egneg
02-20-2013, 08:03 AM
It is non conductive and safe temps up to 300 degrees

With Xylene being used as the solvent for this I am not sure about electronics - it may be just fine would have to try on an old esc or similar first.

demonioux
02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Just wondering if aplying a coat of this to the hull wont make it ultra repelent to the water causing to much lift therefore loosing control of our "small and lightweight" rc boats. Maybe if it is heavy enough 25lbs+ (not an ingeneer), the weight itself of the hull will be more than the repelent force at high speed, keeping the keel in the water. Great for saw but in small race boat just wondering if it will be more detrimenting than an aid tool.

egneg
02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Oh Steven, this could be aproduct for the store. Perhaps they would allow you to repackage it!

:iagree:

egneg
02-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Just wondering if aplying a coat of this to the hull wont make it ultra repelent to the water causing to much lift therefore loosing control of our "small and lightweight" rc boats. Maybe if it is heavy enough 25lbs+ (not an ingeneer), the weight itself of the hull will be more than the repelent force at high speed, keeping the keel in the water. Great for saw but in small race boat just wondering if it will be more detrimenting than an aid tool.

I don't think the displacement will be affected but if there is a significant speed increase you could be right.

LuckyDuc
02-20-2013, 10:39 AM
As was mentioned on IW by a veteran boat racer, coating the bottom of your boat with a hydrophobic coating or wax may make your racing boat too slippery and reduce control/handling. SAW racing might be a different story, but with SAWs your boat is supposed to be setup to float on air at speed anyway.
I may ordered some of this stuff to try on my hunting boots though. There are two solvents required for cleanup. Xylene for part 1, and acetone for part 2.

egneg
02-20-2013, 11:23 AM
As was mentioned on IW by a veteran boat racer, coating the bottom of your boat with a hydrophobic coating or wax may make your racing boat too slippery and reduce control/handling. SAW racing might be a different story, but with SAWs your boat is supposed to be setup to float on air at speed anyway.
I may ordered some of this stuff to try on my hunting boots though. There are two solvents required for cleanup. Xylene for part 1, and acetone for part 2.

If the boat was marginally under control in the first place it might but I don't see how a boat hull that is allowed to air out better and gain some speed will equate to loss of control.

demonioux
02-20-2013, 11:32 AM
In theory it will be like driving an oil drop over water with minimal adhesion. Techinally it will be suspended on the water unable to break properly water tension (IN THEORY). therefore the hydrodynamic propertys of the hull design will be diminished... At least in theory, many other factors have to be taking into account.

egneg
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
In theory it will be like driving an oil drop over water with minimal adhesion. Techinally it will be suspended on the water unable to break properly water tension (IN THEORY). therefore the hydrodynamic propertys of the hull design will be diminished... At least in theory, many other factors have to be taking into account.

Apples and Oranges - Strakes were designed to help air out a hull along with helping to keep it straight as do the sponsons on a cat or hydro. A drop of oil doesn't have these features so how can they be compared? I think we need to do some serious testing before any judgements can be made either way.

LuckyDuc
02-20-2013, 12:39 PM
I plan to do some testing on 1 or 2 of my boats. If the results are unsatisfactory I'll sand it off and find other applications for it around the house.

demonioux
02-20-2013, 01:11 PM
No body said oil drops and boat hulls are the same. It was meant just as an example on how objects which have less friction over water interact. I repeat I am not an engenier, I just wanted to express my educated guess "opinion" on the matter which I WILL PUT TO THE TEST the first chance I get. For me its always to test my theories to see how off or not was I from practical aplication. But there are some true facts; for example if you change ANY property of an object the way set object will interact with its eviroment will change... in which way? for me its educated guesses and trial and error. 2) All boat hulls with their strakes and sponsons have been design to perfom with a set
number of parameters and conditions. Even max speed of hull its determine by its design and over stepping set speed will detriment other aspects of the navigation pure and simple. How much speed a boat can handle maximising control simply depends on the design, and its particular from one hull to another and its setup. Usually speed and handling are inversly proportional.

Dont get me wrong I will try this stuff and see how it goes

Heaving Earth
02-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Nobody knows until it's tested. Just a bunch of speculation. Sometimes hypothesis doesn't support actual results. Lucky, I'll be interested in seeing what happens as you appear to be the only one buying this stuff

demonioux
02-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Nobody knows until it's tested. Just a bunch of speculation. Sometimes hypothesis doesn't support actual results. Lucky, I'll be interested in seeing what happens as you appear to be the only one buying this stuff

I totally agree, if someone starts selling this stuff in a smaller package I will buy iuçt too. May be a good idea will be just to coat those parts of the hull where more lift/less frictions are desireable. Just a quoted thougth from someone I know!

Cooper
02-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Hey guys thinking too much it's not going to change the displacement of the hull. The properties are working on a much much smaller level. The wax, sprays, fiberglass gel coat are all hydrophobic in nature. They repel water, water does not mix. Yes testing is needed. The idea that the running characteristics will change- well isn't that what we would be using it for? If they don't change then I guess it's a waste of money. If it runs out of controll which I personally don't see physically happening then maby perhaps a whole new set up is needed with a coated hull. If I can justify $160 for just the boat hull I'm in. I've used similar products on clothes (outdoor) that had to be washed into the fabric but would wear off. Scotch guard is similar, silicone, but this stuff looks like it adheres, penetrates, and functions on a whole other level. Technology is great and hope they come out with a bit smaller version. Seems like this stuff would be wicked wax for our boats!! And would really like to know about the electronics. I wonder how big of a gap the adhesion angle of water would be? I think I read the repel angle was 160 degrees, so I would assume a 1/16 " gap would stop water penetration (under reg atmospheric pressure-not sprayed into).

Cooper
02-20-2013, 02:32 PM
I kinda disagree here, think of it like a really good coat of wax, when you use a nanotec wax (mcguires I think) the water just runs off the hull. I think the application for this stuff is the adhesion of the actual product and it's longenjevity. Wax wears off pretty quick verses this stuff (if it performs) it ad hears and functions on a much smaller level.

Cooper
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Ok I ordered a quart of each, ultra ever dry, something like that from amazon. I'm almost positive it is the exact same stuff just rebranded. I think that is why this stuff has not been publicly available. (the never wet stuff). I was looking alot of this stuff up. I'm still not sure about electronics, but they should be fine to get this coating. I have alot of uses for some stuff at work that's primarily why I purchased. It sounds alot like rejects spray just alot better and alot stronger bond. I dont think it's going to be the super saucer wax (Christmas vacation) but it will help keep things dry. Anyone ski? Snow ski? Well I spent most of my younger life racing and their is alot of money, work, and knowledge that goes into waxes on the bottom of skis. I would imagine the same principal has to apply to fast boat hulls, lessen restriction and friction (drag). I don't want to debate the rough vs smooth hull bottom, as it's pretty obvious smoother hull is less drag. (no one can argue with the laws of physics) but this seems to me to be a gesture in the faster direction. Now how much? That's the question if it's worth it. I have a couple hulls in mind that I can experiment with. I'll have same setup and run a dozen passes, then coat the hull and run a dozen more. It might be a while as I m not in boating season yet. But I will try and give this a validated test effort. So when I get a chance I will post results.

demonioux
02-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Thats cool keep us posted!

egneg
03-01-2013, 08:11 AM
That's the stuff and it does work with electronics. Here is a video with a cell phone. I wouldn't use it on my cell phone as you end up with a cloudy screen but it makes for a great demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABob1tfQDZ4

Cooper
03-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Well I was anticipating arrival shortly after my order, instead I just got this the other day.

We are following up with all our customers who are awaiting shipment of
Ultra Ever Dry products.

Due to the extremely high demand, the entire US stock of this product sold
out in just a matter of days and every distributor in the country and the
manufacturer, Ultra Tech, are out of stock of this product.

Ultra Tech is working to finish a new batch of product to fulfill current
orders and will have this ready to go around 03/20-03/22. We will have stock
heading to our warehouse during this period of time, but are also holding
your place in line to ship your order directly from the manufacturer.

We will adjust your order accordingly to make sure it ships via whichever
location gets the product to you the quickest. We do not want you to lose
your place in line for your shipment as there is still quite a backlog of
orders behind yours to be filled.

If you are unable to wait for shipment of this product, please let us know
and we will issue a full refund right away. If you have any concerns or
questions, please do not hesitate to reply. Again, we understand that this
has been very frustrating, and our goal is to keep working to make sure your
order ships as soon as possible.

So I guess I'll have to wait a bit. Maybe it's a indicator that this stuff works well or they got one heck of a advertising department and small manufacturing facility. It's almost time for me to start hitting the water so when this stuff gets in ill try and let y'all know.

Bduncan
03-12-2013, 03:09 PM
http://youtu.be/X0ki_N8VwRU