PDA

View Full Version : new radio need opinions

iridebikes247
02-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Hi I am willing to buy a new radio system for my boats if people believe I'm making a wise choice upgrading. I use the Traxxas TQ2.4 radio in a few of my boats but do get glitching sometimes. must add that I run the boats very close to a police station so is it reasonable to believe their radios may be playing games with mine? Anyway I run the Traxxas radios my belief is a lot of their RTR stuff moves quickly especially the XO-1 so I would like to believe they've created an equally impressive radio.

I have always like Futaba equipment, the 4PL model is in my price range just curious if this is would be a good investment and a logical upgrade? I'm after a radio with limited features just long range glitch free operation. Thanks

I'm open to all radios under $300 so if you've got something thats worked please share.

jkr
02-09-2013, 10:36 AM
I run a 3pj-s with frsky 2,4ghz and i'm very satisfied.

Better quality from 4pl(s-fhss) is the 3pmx(fasst)
Fasst is the top system from Futaba.

BHChieftain
02-09-2013, 11:31 AM
I use the Spektrum TXs, not so much for the tx (which is nice), but for the handy water resistant marine RXs.

Chief

Darin Jordan
02-09-2013, 12:23 PM
The new Spektrum DX4S is a SWEET radio... If you are on a tighter budget, the DX3C is also a VERY nice unit, and is very reasonably priced.

The new DX4S is the latest, and is compatible with all of the DSM RX's, including the Marine series. It's not a "budget" radio, but definitely nice: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM4000

The DX3C is a little more budget conscience, but has some advanced features, most of which aren't necessary for boating, but nice options to have. Large model memory as well:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM3300

You can review the whole lineup and get the specs here:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Surface/Radios.aspx

Darin Jordan
02-09-2013, 12:24 PM
... also, with the Spektrum stuff... if you keep your eyes open, people buying the Pro Boat RTR's that prefer to use their Futaba or ??? radio systems often sell off the included MR200 RX's for a pretty decent discount... Water Resistant and reliable...

iridebikes247
02-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys, looks like I am taking a look at spectrum now too. By the way even with a 2.4ghz setup, why are Spectrum and Futaba radios less likely to glitch? Is it because they resist interference better? My traxxas radios glitch sometimes where I run, the spot is right next to a police station (lots of radios and stuff). Anyway will a Spectrum or Futaba radio be LESS likely to glitch because of interference because of a stronger signal or something? I'm new to more advanced radios so bare with me if you can, thanks again.

siberianhusky
02-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Was a life long Futaba user (about 30 years) when I changed over to 2.4 I went Spektrum based pretty much on price compared to radios that were pretty much equal in features. Futaba at that time was a good bit more money, a few months later Futaba released a radio that was comparable in price etc.
Lets just say I was impressed enough to buy a Spektrum stick radio as well when I went 2.4 there, use it for helis, planes and sailboats.
I really like Futaba but I love Spektrum. Kinda like Gibson vs. Fender (US produced models only!)both really good products but each has their dedicated following.
Being able to bind marine RXs to the stick radio is a real bonus for scale boats or sailboats.

oscarel
02-10-2013, 11:26 AM
The Flysky radios are worth looking at as well. I have a GT2B, modded GT3B and just got the new IT4.

dogg
02-10-2013, 06:25 PM
At the end of the day it may be a better bet to get some mates to come down for a run at the same location. If their radios play up too, you may need to look for another lake rather than invest in the radio gear. You wont know untill you try it...

Heaving Earth
02-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Flysky.
I wasn't aware Gibson made guitars outside of the us btw Siberian

JohnZ
02-15-2013, 04:13 PM
There are now, coming into the states, a number of counterfeit Gibson les Pauls. They are not easy to spot but if you know where and what to look for, you can spot the fakes. These counterfeits are coming in from China and in no way are affiliated with Gibson. There are also a number of other Gibsons as well as fender Strats being counterfeited and sold here.
Proof, the Chinese are attempting to wreck America's economy.
Buyer beware: if you purchase one of these, you are on your own.
What's next? Counterfeit Marshall or Fender amps? Maybe a cheap Chinese knockoff of a Mesa Boogie or Recto?

Mecka1990
02-15-2013, 04:55 PM
you wont go wrong with the traxxas transmitters, they are very good, better then some spektrums, to lose signal or to glitch is not a famous problem of it, the reason why this can happen is definetly the police station with his 40 different Hz outputs, try a other lake first before you waste money on something that you dont need.

you still can save up to 10 models on the traxxas transmitters, dont forget that ;)

siberianhusky
02-15-2013, 04:57 PM
90% of the Epiphone line is made in China, like Squire from Fender, although I have seen a Mexican Strat that wasn't a Squire!
To be honest I'm not 100% sure where Electric Gibsons are built in the states, All the Acoustics come from Boseman Montanna, have for a number of years. Mine was built in Kalamazoo though, it's an old one. The electrics might still be made there, the change for acoustics was due to a more stable climate in terms of humidity they claim.
The comment was really aimed more at Fender with the multiple lines ranging from cheap to excellent.
Gretsch even has chinese models now which is just plain wrong!
I'll be honest for playing in bars some of those Chinese copies can't be beat, with a good setup by a skilled tech they play very well. Sound good with a better set of pickups. You don't have to worry about something happening to the guitar, and lets face it most bars have a shyte sound system and the guy behind the bar doubles as the soundman. You can have the most expensive equipment on stage but the sound system will massacre it 90% of the time.
In the studio or when you know you'll be playing though a good sound system the I'll bring the valuable lumber, most of the time it stays safe at home.
My stage acoustic is a mid 80's Seagull I paid 200$ for second hand, had a good setup done with bone nut and saddle, installed a L.R Baggs pickup system, use a fishman preamp on stage and an active DI box. It just popped a brace so I'm looking for another good cheapie, this one is not worth fixing.

Heaving Earth
02-15-2013, 05:23 PM
gibson are made in tennessee

siberianhusky
02-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Cool just looked into that, Moved to Tennessee after closing in Kalamazoo 1974-84 for acoustic, then they started production of acoustics in Montana. Currently still a Nashville based company. UNtil 1984 the Kalamazoo plant was a Gibson custom shop.
For a short time there was a "budget" line made in Canada, pretty much replaced by Epiphone. They didn't have the Made in U.S.A stamped into the headstock.
My old J-45 was built in Michigan it's older than '74!
http://www.themusiczoo.com/blog/2011/factory-tour-gibson-montanas-acoustic-guitars/

neat article!

Heaving Earth
02-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Hmmm.... That's pretty cool. There is a good amount of handwork mixed with a large amount of machine work. Not exactly what I would call handmade,but I suppose in today's industry, it is more handwork than most companies do.

Heaving Earth
02-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Wow we've got way off topic. Sorry bout that

JimClark
02-15-2013, 07:26 PM
And now back to Radio's please

mtbenjamin77
02-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Futaba 4pl all the way. balloon the RX and you're good. Just remember to remove after a days run.

tlandauer
02-18-2013, 07:35 PM
I got an Airtronics MX-3x for a song at my LHS, they retail for $199 usually, even at TowerHobbies, because of President's day, they were going for $99.
I know Futaba is the best, and I have used Tactic and Spektrum on all my boats up to now, anybody out there using Airtronics?
Reason for this is I got a MiniCat CF Starship Outrigger and Tactics don't have antena and the Spek. have two, space being a factor I wanted to go with one antenna.
http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/airtronics-mx-3x-3-ch-2-4g-competition-pistol-radio-mx3x.html