PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a new impulse for $220 shiiped

roadrashracing
02-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Found a place on ebay selling them for $220 shipped, I could not pass a deal like that up. :spy:

Big Lebowski
02-07-2013, 02:31 AM
What place is it?

roadrashracing
02-07-2013, 09:40 AM
powerhobby

bob_t
02-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Wow .... that is a great deal! Just checked on e-bay and didn't see any, so I called them ... looks like you got the last one. Salesperson said they sold the last one last night and won't be getting anymore because they have been discontinued. Offered me a good deal on a V2 model, but I passed on it.

roadrashracing
02-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Radio problems, hopefully they will make it right.

roadrashracing
02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
They just wanted me to send it back for a refund, but I'll work with what I got.

bob_t
02-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Uh Oh! .... I just ordered one from NitroHobbies for $249 + shipping. I hope mine will be ok .... what kind of problems, if I may ask?

roadrashracing
02-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Time to get it ready, the motor mount nut came lose so I had to take it apart and rgluedit no biggie. I put clear epoxy on all the wood I could reach to help prevent mold growth. I also put a coat of resin on all the glass I could reach.

bob_t
02-23-2013, 06:05 PM
I took mine out of the box this afternoon, and the motor was significantly misaligned. It was at quite an angle (see photo)! Amazing how it left the factory like that and the person who installed could have not thought it would be a problem (??). It had the flexshaft more or less kinked. So, I decided to re-align it, which should have been no problem, except the motor mounting screws were so tight (almost like they had glue in the threads, which, now would not surprise me if they did) that the heads were more or less destroyed trying to get them loose.

Rather disappointing, to say the least .... :w00t:

94176 94177

roadrashracing
02-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Thats pretty much how mine was, even down to the threads being tight. I ended up removing the wood and epoxying it.

bob_t
02-24-2013, 11:12 PM
roadrashracing ... question about the "radio problems" you had. Your comments peaked my interest, so I charged up 2 of my 2s packs and tried them in my "new" Impulse 31. ESC will not arm .... the receiver just sits there and flashes at a very fast rate (figured it out ... it boots up in the "bind mode" every time, even without the bind plug installed). Everytime you turn the esc/receiver switch "on", it goes into the bind mode (without the bind plug installed). If you turn on the tx first, and then the rx, the rx just sits there in the fast flash mode (bind mode). If you then turn the tx off, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on, the rx binds and goes through its normal routine ... my rx is defective. And, if that is not enough, I noticed that the back of the canopy has hairline cracks in the one corner!
:cursing: and :swear:

roadrashracing
02-25-2013, 08:57 AM
My problem was a defective radio and thats it. If the dealer you got it from is not an a horizon dealer horizon might not help, if you have that many problems I would just send it back, I think horizon would have you send it to them anyway. Don't call on monday mornings you will wait on hold for ever.

bob_t
02-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Dealer is an authorized PB dealer. When you say "radio", do you mean Tx or Rx? Dealer only corresponds by e-mail, so that will be slow. I talked to Horizon this morning, and they are being helpful, or at least willing to help. Just like you, if I send this one back to dealer, I have to pay all the shipping.

Thanks,
Bob

roadrashracing
02-25-2013, 11:56 AM
tx/ transmitter

lenny
02-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Yep, :iagree:
I noticed that the back of the canopy has hairline cracks :cursing:

First couple runs you get on it and you will see a lot more.
It is just made to cheap and thin or something about the gel coat and flex agents in the paint,
You should not have to redo the hull on a new boat after a couple of runs on it.
If it would have been done right in the first place,
They had to see what was going on when they where testing it to sell.:noidea:

roadrashracing
02-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Dealer is an authorized PB dealer. When you say "radio", do you mean Tx or Rx? Dealer only corresponds by e-mail, so that will be slow. I talked to Horizon this morning, and they are being helpful, or at least willing to help. Just like you, if I send this one back to dealer, I have to pay all the shipping.

Thanks,
Bob

what where you able to resolve?

lenny
02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
That is Bull sh*t, :nono:
How did you pay them for it ?
You should put in some kind of a claim for a bad product that you received.:tiphat:

Thanks,
Bob

bob_t
02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
what where you able to resolve?

Dealer said sorry to hear that, and told me to contact Horizon .... I called Horizon Customer Support and they are going to send me a new rx, canopy, flexshaft, and motor mount. Horizon has been great to work with so far. I sent the Horizon customer support person the picture of how the motor was installed and they said they were going to pass that on to their quality control department.

roadrashracing
02-26-2013, 01:22 PM
These boats should not be going out like this period, not sure if they were throwing some together with extra parts or what.

Heaving Earth
02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Maybe it's why you got it so cheap

roadrashracing
02-26-2013, 04:23 PM

Ads where listed in new condition, price should not be a factor.

bob_t
02-26-2013, 05:29 PM

No.... it was brand new, sold by an authorized dealer. They had several of them, not just "the one I got". The boat was brand new, that is for sure .... just poorly assembled and a defective rx (not sure they check every one before installing/shipping) and cracks in the canopy, even though the cracks and the mis-aligned motor should have been obvious. I don't think Horizon would knowingly ship one, or more, from the factory with defective parts since they know it would end up causing themselves a problem that they would most likely have to deal with (ie, fix) and end up with posts like this one, on FE boat websites about a defective product. But, on the other hand, I guess they may really never see what actually "gets put in the box" half way around the world.

roadrashracing
02-26-2013, 05:56 PM
I don't know if dealing with disturbers is worth it ether, most of the time you need to deal with the manufacturer anyway.

Heaving Earth
02-26-2013, 06:37 PM
New condition and brand new are two different things. Which is it?

Heaving Earth
02-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Honestly I've never owned a proboat that did not have issues right out of the box.

Old Sloppy
02-26-2013, 07:00 PM
price should not be a factor.

Gee, you got a whole boat for less than I paid for a single motor, my boat requires 2 motors to run.

Harry

lenny
02-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Boy did you get bent over,:moon:
You should save your money and just get a Traxxas Spartan.:lol:

Gee, you got a whole boat for less than I paid for a single motor, my boat requires 2 motors to run.

Harry

roadrashracing
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Brand new

bob_t
02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
New condition and brand new are two different things. Which is it?

Brand new. Everything packaged from factory. Looks like the same shipping box that it arrived in when it was unloaded from the shipping container from China, just with a new shipping label (my address) slapped on the shipping box. I seriously doubt that the shipping box was ever opened from the day the "factory assembly person" put it in the box. It still had the copper staples in the ends of the shipping box. Probably would have been better if someone had opened the box and looked at it .... :noidea:

bob_t
02-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Honestly I've never owned a proboat that did not have issues right out of the box.

My MG29 and Mystic had no issues out of the box ... they were beautiful and everything worked just like it was supposed to. I fully expected the same with my new Impusle, too. My son's AQ Rio had issues, right out of the box, though, it had glue (the kind that melts into the plastic) dripped/smeared several places on the exterior of the boat and one of the coupler screws was stripped out, laying in the bottom of the boat. My friend machined a really nice brass coupler and tapped it for the set screws that is 10X better than the aluminum one that came with the boat. I have a brand new Revolt 30, too, still in the box, and have only taken it out of the box to remove the prop so I could sharpen and balance it. Just did a quick look over the boat and electronics, but nothing more ....

bob_t
02-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Wow, called Horizon on Monday, new parts showed up today! Great service.

Bob

tlandauer
02-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Looking at the pic., it had to be from the factory since you also said the screws were almost epoxied in. It's too bad the QC is not up to standard. Hope you get everything sorted out, I still think in the end you got a good deal. let's just hope that from now on you can have fun w/o too much headache!
Good luck and cheers!

bob_t
02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks. I installed the new rx and it works like is should, now. Definitely was a defective rx. Still amazed that it left the factory with the motor so mis-aligned. If I had just put batteries in and hit the throttle, it would have been instant disaster (and lots of fiberglass dust!!).

tlandauer
02-28-2013, 02:54 AM
Thanks. I installed the new rx and it works like is should, now. Definitely was a defective rx. Still amazed that it left the factory with the motor so mis-aligned. If I had just put batteries in and hit the throttle, it would have been instant disaster (and lots of fiberglass dust!!).
I was amazed too, especially at the angle! My first thoughts were that the motor wasn't fastened and that there was an impact that knocked the motor into that position, but as you said, the screws were tight.
Anyway, sorry to be long winded, enjoy!
:beerchug:

lenny
02-28-2013, 08:32 AM
bob_t !
Check your water lines to for silicone in all the nipples and the rudder water intake hole and nipple to,
I had them come through with stuff in them.
And things get hot fast,
Some times it is a loose piece in there and will be Intermittent with water flow.
Also check for leaks at the flooded stuffing tube and hardware screws to.
First run on it check at 1 to 2 minutes for water in the hull and flow and temps.

bob_t
02-28-2013, 09:05 AM
bob_t !
Check your water lines to for silicone in the nipple and the rudder water intake hole and nipple to,
I had them come through with stuff in them.
And thing get hot fast,
Also check for leaks at the flooded stuffing tube and hardware screws to.
First run on it check at 1 to 2 minutes for water in it and temps.

Thanks,
Bob