PDA

View Full Version : jae 12 nitro for electric 3s

wayne middlemiss
02-04-2013, 09:24 PM
hi all putting this question out for opinions on using the jae 12 for 3s setup instead of using the mini jae hull. your thought and experiences please

NativePaul
02-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Firstly I have to say the JAE.12 is not a mini, it is far from it, being not a whole lot smaller than the JAE.21.

I have a shortened Mini Sprint that I use in Mini Hydro (it's advertised as 17" but is actually over 18" and too big for the mini class when built to spec), a .12 that I use in Hydro1, and a .21 that I use in Hydro2.

Are you thinking of putting the electrics from your Mini Sprint into A .12? if so I wouldnt recommend it unless you have much bigger stuff than recommended in the minisprint. I have a Mega 16/15/3 28x35 motor, 35A ESC and 1500-1800 3s packs in mine and with the extra size and weight of the .12 there is no way I would put that gear in it. Maybe if you had the biggest that would fit in the minisprint 28x50 motor crammed a 90A ESC in and 3s 3000mAh cells you could convert over but the motor would still be a little smaller than ideal and you wouldn't get much runtime from the cells.

I have run a HeT 1w30 28x52 4400KV motor with 120A ESC on 2s 30c 5800mAh Turnegys, and now a Leopard 28x60 3400KV motor with 80A ESC on 3s 20c 4500mAh ETTIs. the Performance was rather disappointing on the 2s setup, but while the weight does hold it back against the moulded Hydro1s it does turn well (not as well as the mini or the .21 though) and is better in the rough so the performance is acceptable to me. If I wasn't racing I would fit a bigger 36mm motor, and 4 cells in it, with the weight it is, it does take some pushing and it still begs for more power than I have in it. Hopefully before this season starts I will have made a much lighter composite tub for it and with any luck that will get it to pick its heels up and go a bit better with the power I have in it.

My.12 was modified slightly from the kit to FE by not fitting the rear bulkhead allowing room for the motor, don't worry, its still plenty strong enough, its built far too heavily IMO, (there is a lighter version available alongside the original now). I also re-drilled the sponsons and tub to move the rear boom tube right up to the top of the sponsons, which allowed me to (just) slide my chosen cell packs under the rear boom keeping the CoG as low as possible for optimum handling, if I was building for sport I would have traded off that low CoG for ease of maintenance, moved the boom down as far as I could instead of up, and put my cell pack above it, which would make battery swaps much quicker and allow a much bigger pack to be fitted. the .12 doesn't come with hatches or lips to put them on so i fitted lips from scraps of thin ply and modified a Vac-U-Boats JAE.21 canopy to fit.which makes it look much better and is easy to tape up, although it does use a lot of tape compared to 2 separate flat wooden hatches.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rWXDwzF5cuA/TvX8Ghe59qI/AAAAAAAAARs/9IK76S0MHoM/s800/1070.JPG

wayne middlemiss
02-05-2013, 05:35 PM
thank you for your input i am building them for fun and from the plans with the turnigy outrunners same as zipp ones but coming from h/king.
they are an inexpensive build so i thought would have a go with them for a diference.

NativePaul
02-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Definitely stick with the mini if you are going to use the little outrunner.