PDA

View Full Version : Blackjack 29 upgrades before I hit the water

jfraleyjr
01-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Just as the title reads i am looking to "upgrade" all the parts that need to be upgraded before spring gets here/

What parts of the drivetrain (ie flexshaft) etc do you (or have you) used? Please provide part numbers if you are using OSE parts. I did a search and have not really found what I am looking for...thought I'd pose the question to the collective/

What other upgrades, mods have you done? Looking for some ideas before I get started ordering/

Prop recommendations would be good too, what have you tried, what do you like?

Thanks in advance!

srislash
01-19-2013, 10:25 PM
About the only upgrades I would instantly do are change all connectors to at least 5.5 bullet's.You will be needing a better motor collet.The stock one isn't too bad but after awhile of on and off for greasing it gets weak resulting in a spun flex(and possible loss of shaft/prop).I personally use Lucas blue marine grease for shafts.A X642 is a great prop to have in the box as well as X445 and M645. But really the X642 is best all round.

jfraleyjr
01-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Good stuff thanks! So the flex shaft is good to go? Seems like every other thread says (on other boats) that is the first thing to upgrade.

About the only upgrades I would instantly do are change all connectors to at least 5.5 bullet's.You will be needing a better motor collet.The stock one isn't too bad but after awhile of on and off for greasing it gets weak resulting in a spun flex(and possible loss of shaft/prop).I personally use Lucas blue marine grease for shafts.A X642 is a great prop to have in the box as well as X445 and M645. But really the X642 is best all round.

srislash
01-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Good stuff thanks! So the flex shaft is good to go? Seems like every other thread says (on other boats) that is the first thing to upgrade.Mine on my Geico(same boat) lasted for a heck of a long time.Once it finally went I did stick a Aquacraft 150 cable in and left the shaft and prop to Davey Jones.I'm really getting to hate him.

tlandauer
01-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Mine on my Geico(same boat) lasted for a heck of a long time.Once it finally went I did stick a Aquacraft 150 cable in and left the shaft and prop to Davey Jones.I'm really getting to hate him.
:iagree: My stock MG flex cable lasted a long time and I changed to an OSE one just to be safe. My only time using an AQ 150 cable was on a second hand Pursuit ( came with that cable) , put on a brand new s/b/ M445, 30 seconds later Davey Jones showed up. :mad: Yup, no more AQ cable for me.

mtbenjamin77
01-20-2013, 02:51 AM
yep, I have a small fortune in props sitting at the bottom of the lake mainly due to cheap shafts (only one because of a loose collet). Some of those props were AB's cut cupped and balanced too, approx $60 each. So even though an upgraded flex seems like an unecessary expense, it'll save ya a fortune later down the line. Also, get a shaft saver. A collar with a setscrew to fit around the flex just behind the collet. It'll save your shaft and prop if ya forget to tighten the collet after greasing the shaft. I use oilers on all my boats so I don't have to remove the shaft at the lake. I only remove it at the shop when cleaning up after a days run.

dre414
01-21-2013, 10:49 AM
:iagree: My stock MG flex cable lasted a long time and I changed to an OSE one just to be safe. My only time using an AQ 150 cable was on a second hand Pursuit ( came with that cable) , put on a brand new s/b/ M445, 30 seconds later Davey Jones showed up. :mad: Yup, no more AQ cable for me.

Which OSE one did you buy? Was it this one? http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-mystic-cable

tlandauer
01-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Which OSE one did you buy? Was it this one? http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-mystic-cable
MG/ Mystic/ BlackJack29 should all be the same if I am not mistaken. The link you sent me here has two pictures but it is for illustration, if you click "buy" , OSE would send their flex cable, not the Aqua Craft cable below the "gold " cable.
I bought the MissGeico cable since at that time that was the only cat Proboat was selling.

CHIEFY_44
01-31-2013, 01:54 AM
I just pulled the teflon liner and fitted a 187 cable, changed the collet for a octura one, had to grind a little off the mount but I have not lost a prop due to flex failure,I don't know if your strut has a brass bushing if it has remove it and replace with Teflon bushings. The prop I like best is a m445, one of the best things I done was getting rid of that terrible plastic hatch that smashes too easily for a fiberglass one, but truely the must for this hull is blue print the hull