PDA

View Full Version : Revolt gets Carbon

chipgibbs
01-19-2013, 11:11 AM
While waiting on the cold to go away, I thought I'd make use of some carbon fiber by reinforcing the
hull of my Revolt. This might add a little weight but, the hull has always seemed a bit flimsey.

First I made paterns from paper & cut out the carbon cloth

Next I sanded the hull interior with 120 grit and blew out the dust and wipped it with acetone

Now for the speedy part. I brushed in some Z-poxy and layed in the carbon. Note that it is wraped up the sides of the motor mount bosses.
Also note I have added a stuffing tube brace made of plywood and carbon fiber.

And finally brushed more Z-poxy onto the carbon to fully saturate it. With an exacto knife I carefully fix any stray strands... Finished product looks pretty good

CG3

Chilli
01-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Nice job Chip. One tip when I lay down CF is to use foam mini touch up rollers to go over the CF as a final step. This will soak up any excess epoxy and leave a nice finish. Rollers are also a little better at working in the epoxy without disturbing the cloth.

chipgibbs
01-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks Mike,

I've used the rollers before, just not on boats. Another trick is to blot with toilet tissue. I built Hand launch gliders and DLGs for years and weight really counts so all the excess epoxy has to be removed.

CG3

chipgibbs
01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Almost ready for water again with new Carbon & New Battery tray

CG3

tlandauer
01-19-2013, 04:08 PM
That looks REALLY good! :thumbup1::thumbup1:
May I suggest that you do a range test since the Tactic receiver has no antenna and now you have CF in the hull. Most likely it is a non-issue since there isn't any on the side, but I have lost signal on Tactic before, thank goodness for Fail Safe.

chipgibbs
01-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks T
I will change it over to Futaba as soon as I get another receiver.
Tomorrow should be 50 degrees and the Revolt is ready

Chilli
01-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Take that NAMBA sticker off your boat too. LOL

Where are you running tomorrow?? I've got a new Sport Hydro that needs maidening. Take advantage of the weather. The ponds might be hard by next weekend.:crying:

chipgibbs
01-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Ive been running at Trinity park lake in Centreville. Its right off Hwy 29 just before 28 behind the
Velocity 5 sports bar & copper canyon restaurant.

Chilli
01-19-2013, 09:22 PM
I returned your email. LMK if you head out there.

chipgibbs
01-20-2013, 05:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmH0xMi3oCU

Not too exciting, it was really windy and the Revolt blew over 4 times. You can hear the wind in the crummmy video.

bob_t
01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
That looks REALLY good! :thumbup1::thumbup1:
May I suggest that you do a range test since the Tactic receiver has no antenna and now you have CF in the hull. Most likely it is a non-issue since there isn't any on the side, but I have lost signal on Tactic before, thank goodness for Fail Safe.

So that is why he has his name and phone number inside the hull ... in case it gets away and won't come back? :ohmy:

chipgibbs
01-20-2013, 09:25 PM
The name & number in the boat is a carry over from RC planes....THey used to get away once in a while. BTW, no problem with the Tactic reciever today, just the wind.

CG3

bob_t
01-20-2013, 09:47 PM
I know what you mean with the planes (that's kinda what I was poking at, above). When I was a kid, I watched as one of my grandfather's planes flew out of sight, never to return ... and then again in college saw the same thing happen with a couple of friends' planes, too. :scared:

Looks like you have stock motor and esc .... what prop (in the video)?

tlandauer
01-20-2013, 10:52 PM
The name & number in the boat is a carry over from RC planes....THey used to get away once in a while. BTW, no problem with the Tactic reciever today, just the wind.

CG3
Video looks great! I am so glad to hear that the tactic didn't pose a problem, truth be told, I had built a Mean machine 3 months ago, still didn't have time to maider her, but the CF bottom had me worried, now I can relax. Thanks!

chipgibbs
01-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Prop in the video is an Octura m545.

Grimracer
01-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Running great!

Grim

chipgibbs
01-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Grim,
Thanks, the video really doesn't do this boat justice. You did a great job and I appreciate the comment.

CG3