PDA

View Full Version : 1/12 Miss Llumar nitro to electric

tunnelvission
01-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Believe it or not.. I got this bot for FREE from a woman i work with!!! We were sitting around the lunch table BS'n one day and somehow got on the subject of RC boats, she then told me her son has had one in the top of the closset for some time now, told me i was more then welcome to it if i wanted it !!!! WELL OF COURSE I WANT IT !!!!

So down to the nitty grity, im going to convert it to electric. this is where i will need you guys help.
im not to sure abt motor/esc/batery..... I guess realisticly im looking for speeds somwhere around high 40's to mid 50's. Now im not going to be racing it (no clubs around), just for fun, would like to keep it as low cost as possible.

I know for sure i am planning on renforcing the hull with CF before i start stuffing it with go fast goodies. The boat in its present state is RTR after i binded it to my tx, needd a lil bit of tuning but all in all, as it sits now its a nice RTR nitro hydro.

Thanks ahead of time for any input you may contribute .
Daniel

srislash
01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
I think these are the same as the Miss Bud,ProBoat right?I have two of them,one is converted and the second is disassembled gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2BJr5w0Vkc

It is still in the works,but coming along.

MrUnlimited
01-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Lucky you! I also would toss the strut for a nother oone, one it adjustable so you can change the angle of the strut, but that is maybe for later like the rudder. I would choose a lower KV (2000-2200 with 3s or 4s lipo and then like SLash a prop around 35mm to start. Take a 2 blade prop for more rpm. Don't go over the top with rpm otherwise it will cavitate and will not move. I recommend to buy this book: http://www.airagestore.com/books/boats/basics-of-fast-electric-boats.html. It is a great reference for electric boaters as wel as starters in boating. I even bought when I started racing 1/8 nitro hydroplanes in the past.

monojeff
01-05-2013, 04:08 PM
I have a build thread for my elam which is basically same boat which I run and boat handles well in heat racing speeds are around 45-50mph with a UL-1 motor and ESC & strut, stock cnc aluminum prop will run 45mph all day and be fun full throttle all the time!
Mine was not a conversion but will give you good idea of setup anyways.
I can give you any help you need more then willing to help.

tunnelvission
01-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for every ones input,

srislash- looks like you've got the basic platform for a very nice boat

MrUnlilited- Thanks for the recomendation on the book, definatly gunna pick one up

monojeff- thanks alot for the offer, you may regret it, might get tired of me askin questions, lol

in the theme of keeping it low cost... this is the motor i was thinking abt
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22407__Turnigy_AquaStar_3974_2200KV_Water_Cooled _Brushless_Motor.html
and the esc http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10627__Turnigy_AquaStar_90A_Water_Cooled_ESC.htm l
, now im not sure if these will work together so please dont bash me to hard, lol

Thanks
Daniel

monojeff
01-05-2013, 07:21 PM
No worries always glad to help as are many others.
That cambo will wok just fine although I'd go with the Turnigy 120esc.
If i were you is get yourself a used UL motor or similar 1800kv motor and ESC
Both can be had for $50 each then you know you have a solid setup and waterproof and bulletproof ESC.

monojeff
01-05-2013, 07:24 PM
As for batteries I use ace gens from hobby parts.
2 2s 5300 mah in series for 4s

tunnelvission
01-05-2013, 08:00 PM
i have a stock stilleto motor i wanna say they are 1800kv.... right? If so will that be a good choice, and i was looking at the Turnigy 120esc also. Thanks alot for the help! Its greatly apreciated. The batteries im goind to wait to order. Iv read a few build threads on the great website abt the Miss Llumar nitro to elec. and due to the tightness of the hull its pretty darn hard to fit batteries in there. So i was gunna wait and take some messurements and then order

tunnelvission
01-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Another question...... would cutting hatches and placing the batteries in the sponsons help with chine walk / COG ?

srislash
01-05-2013, 09:19 PM
I am still playing with mine as said and now have a 1512 2650kv in her. I run 3s2p with Skylipo 4400mah and they are a tight but good fit(so that should give you some dimensions).I have them on either side of the motor and as far forward as I can get them. This hull had been CF'd and the sponsons filled with Great Stuff :nono:
This is what I did for a strut

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m488/SRIslash/MissBudMaiden006.jpg

tunnelvission
01-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Got the hull stripped of all running gear last night, gunna start sanding the interior getting it ready for CF inlay tonight, post pics later tonight!!
Thanks again for everyone's help
Daniel

srislash
01-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Look forward to seeing what you come up with.I still have the second hull to improve upon.At some point.