PDA

View Full Version : SV27 Makeover :)

capnswanny
01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Removed rotten wood and glassed hull stem to stern with 5mm/West Systems, 5/32" transom doubler, and added a little paint. Replaced ESC and servo.
Looks a lot cleaner anyways.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Quick video shot running a bit wet today with a not-so-dramatic happy ending :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g5rNKxySn0

lavigna
01-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Damn! You sure cleaned up that boat well. Great job. Very clean.

capnswanny
01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks Bud!

...is that a shark.....with a fricken' laser on its head :)

gyrotron
01-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Hi Capnswanny,

Great job! What technique do you use to contain the epoxy around the pieces you want to glue? What do you mix with the epoxy with to get the white look/consistency?

Thx

capnswanny
01-26-2013, 03:51 AM
Thanks buddy,
I actually used regular blue tape that is used to mask off for houshold painting. When the epoxy is mixed correctly with the microfibers its thick enough that it deosn't run. I did this work using West Systems Epoxy/Hardener and West Systems 403 Microfibers, that's what added the white to the mixture (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2038&familyName=WEST+System+403+Microfibers+Adhesive+Fi ller) I pull the tape about an hour or so after the pour, before the epoxy sets and smotthe out the edges with a spitted finger (is spitted a word :)
You can add the 403 to a different consistency for different applications, laminating, bonding, etc....Good Stuff, I've used it for 20 years on my sailboats (full sized ones) with excellent results. Get a can of it, I've had the same can fro 10 years....you can mix it with any epoxy!

Fair Winds,
Corey

gyrotron
01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Corey,

I appreciatte the tip.

Thank you!

capnswanny
01-26-2013, 02:04 PM
You can also tint the mixture with regualr old rattle can paint. I just give it an imprecise squirt and stir until I achieve the color I want.
BTW, red doesn't quite work out with the microfibers....unless you like pink :)

Below I put a couple spritz's of black Krylon to get a grey appearance and kinda match the boat better.