PDA

View Full Version : Falcon 41" rebuild

madphil
12-29-2012, 05:23 PM
I have just finished the refit of my carbon Falcon i ran it for a full season with twin 700 size HET motors on 8s per side i have upgraded to twin 780KV (2028 motors) i will start off on 55mm 3 bladers on 10s per side and work from there

LOVE6S
12-29-2012, 06:20 PM
I am interested in your set up, I had the same thoughts about the twin struts on a build, can we see some pics of the underside and transome, thanks, Shawn.

Cooper
12-29-2012, 07:16 PM
What do you think of those turnigy esc's? I've always wondered about them.

iridebikes247
12-29-2012, 07:32 PM
You're freaking nuts man! You're running twin 2028 motors in a 41" boat I would love to see video. The motors will laugh at 55mm props, if you get bored of the water wheelies your boat pulls you can probably ride on the boat for some time lol. Looks great, clearly a lot of time was spent, look forward to a running video.

madphil
12-30-2012, 05:33 AM
I am interested in your set up, I had the same thoughts about the twin struts on a build, can we see some pics of the underside and transome, thanks, Shawn.

Hi Shawn no problem hope these will do ,

(i have a large selection of 2 / 3 blade carbon props once i find a good balance with handling, run time and speed i will change for metal )

Cooper had no issues running the turnigy ESC's with the HET motors will have to see with the 2028's they may warm them up a bit

iridebikes247 i have cut the struts right back to the transom this should help calm the wheelies down a bit and help with porposing also i have the option of trim tabs if needed ( i went for the high powered option because its easier to calm a fast boat down than try to make a slow boat faster ,,,,, start fast and work back )

phil.

NativePaul
12-30-2012, 09:30 AM
As if it wasn't mad enough already Phil, "prepare for ludicrous speed."

Your other cat looks like a Rolls Royce salesman with that expression on its face in its jumper and scarf "without being vulgar sir, I can assure you the power is sufficient."

madphil
12-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks Paul,
I ran it today for the first time, runs very stable without any porposing and turns like its on rails the extra weight helps the ride and turns BUT i am well out on prop choice with the 55mm 3 blade from start it revs its "nuts" off and hardly moves away it takes half a lap to get up to speed my thoughts are 62mm 2 blade next time ( any help on this one would be most welcome )

phil.

Jason4636
12-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Granted your is a Cat, and mine is a mono. But I talked to the Prop Shop and they told me to run the 6015/3. I'll have twin 528's there the same as the 2028''s in a 56" mono.

madphil
01-01-2013, 05:32 AM
Just got hold of some x465's 2 blades i have back cut / reprofiled them and turned them down to 63mm on the lathe will give them a try now

madphil
01-01-2013, 05:54 AM
As if it wasn't mad enough already Phil, "prepare for ludicrous speed."

Your other cat looks like a Rolls Royce salesman with that expression on its face in its jumper and scarf "without being vulgar sir, I can assure you the power is sufficient."

"whats wrong" with putting a large 8s motor in a 29" phantom cat sir ?????:doh:
3rd / 4th pic with trim tabs fitted made it more driveable but less fun

NativePaul
01-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Nothing at all, I swapped my 8s Supercat setup into my 29" mean machine after I wrapped my Supercat round a buoy in Friday practice and wrecked the hull at a nationals a while back, it was a lot of fun but too small to handle the holes Pete's big hydro was digging in the water though.

steinersamuel
01-01-2013, 11:29 AM
just my two cents here, but tabs have no business on a cat. i understand your boat is massively overpowered, but i would pick up some sticky backed motorcycle wheel ballancing weights. add them to the boat as far forward as possible inside the hull down low in the sponson. nice thing about this is if you add too much, pull it back out. again, just my opinion here!!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

LOVE6S
01-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Just got hold of some x465's 2 blades i have back cut / reprofiled them and turned them down to 63mm on the lathe will give them a try nowCan I ask why you didnt try them at 65 mm, and turn them down as needed?

madphil
01-01-2013, 02:04 PM
calculations for this size motor say 60mm 3 blader or 62mm 2 blade is just about right thought i would pinch another 1mm its going to be a bit overpowered with this setup anyway so i bay have to shave a bit more off to calm it down ,

i know i have said it before i have found it better to build an overpowered boat and calm it down than try and make a slower boat faster

madphil
01-01-2013, 02:10 PM
just my two cents here, but tabs have no business on a cat. i understand your boat is massively overpowered, but i would pick up some sticky backed motorcycle wheel ballancing weights. add them to the boat as far forward as possible inside the hull down low in the sponson. nice thing about this is if you add too much, pull it back out. again, just my opinion here!!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

i have allways been told that adding weight to a fast electric is a NO NO you are only increasing the load on your motor / ESC and reducing run time you should move things about to move the C of G to get the balance right

LOVE6S
01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
calculations for this size motor say 60mm 3 blader or 62mm 2 blade is just about right thought i would pinch another 1mm its going to be a bit overpowered with this setup anyway so i bay have to shave a bit more off to calm it down ,

i know i have said it before i have found it better to build an overpowered boat and calm it down than try and make a slower boat faster Sure I understand,I was just thinking if you ran it at 65mm, and you didnt like the temps or it didnt turn enough rpm, you could shave a little off, as you have done, but you cant put it back on, do the trim tabs you put on cuase the boat to corner any differently, they are just acting as a wheely bar or sorts, is that correct?

madphil
01-01-2013, 07:10 PM
some people say don't use trim tabs on a cat , they work well for me on the 29" phantom no problems with cornering if i have wheelie issues on the falcon i will be using them on that too ( if you look at the last pic on the phantom you can see them holding it level on full throttle )

LOVE6S
01-02-2013, 04:48 AM
Thats a cool pic, what are you getting for speed on that 29 inch cat?