PDA

View Full Version : Hareware Setups

SJFE
05-05-2007, 09:04 AM
I figured this thread can be of use to new SV owners as well as us current drivers. I finaly got my left fin installed. Those are not the direct bolt on OSE tabs. The are the #1010 tabs listed below them. Much wider and a little longer. The Fullers fin was a snap to intall to the factory bracket. I cut down the fullers bracket and used it for the AQ fin. I think a little ajusting of the left fin may be needed to get proper alinment. Look at all the battle scars on her!! After last nights Devcon bath this hull is double reinforced down both sides thats now incorperated right into the stern coat. She may carry a little more weight now but future stress cracks should not be a problem.

Lets see some more setups:)

FYI guys. Last night when I was checking the rudder I noticed it was loose. Turns out one of the set screw backed completely out, anothers stripped and the last one was loose also. I did the best I could to snug everything up. Have a look @ yours to be sure it's AOK. I may have to replace the rudder if it gets worse.

Piranha2
05-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't know, this whole fiberglass thing is scaring me. I beat the hell out of my ABS's and no issues yet. I could be leaning towards a BBY ABS or even one of their CF's.

Steven Vaccaro
05-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Not to change the subject but there good and bad in both materials. Abs has give and will take a slow crash up against a dock. Most times without issue. But it doesn't last a long time. It gets brittle after a couple of years. Fiberglass is the opposite. I have some abs hulls at home that are cracked now. I have fiberglass hulls I have bought from the same time period and they are just fine. Then again it all depends on the hull and how it was manufactured and treated. My H&M Drifter M has many cracks and problems. Not because of a poor design, but because its made light, and thin to run fast. I have wiped out far to many times with it. Running 24 cells of weight in a boat that size takes its toll.

Mich. Maniac
05-05-2007, 02:09 PM
So exactly why are you using different fins on each side? seems like drag would be different so you would have to turn rudder to comp. slowing whole boat down with even more drag?

drobie
05-05-2007, 02:19 PM
I have fiberglass hulls I have bought from the same time period and they are just fine.

IMO besides durability, another plus for fibreglass is that's it's easier to repair.

Well, maybe not a lot easier but the repair is more durable. Other factors like sharpening hull edges are easier with glass.

And...a big bonus if you've built enough ABS hulls is that you don't have to join and reinforce as much.

I strongly feel fiberglass is worth the premium paid. I won't do any more ABS unless the product I want is not available in glass.

Piranha2
05-05-2007, 04:09 PM
ok, so fiberglass seems to be better, what about the carbon fiber hulls? I see alot of fiberglass hulls with the carbon fiber patch at the motor mount area, so why not have a complete carbon fiber hull? I think Chris Fine also uses kevlar? I'm ready to use a 2 x 4, maple, of course.

drobie
05-05-2007, 05:01 PM
ok, so fiberglass seems to be better, what about the carbon fiber hulls?

Go for it if you're willing to pay the premium over FG and have the choice. Stronger and weighs less.

This from an article:

Among mass-reducing materials, carbon fiber composites rank highly. As an anisotropic material, carbon's properties can be tailored in specific directions, which provides increased stiffness and strength along load paths. In a composite component, the part thickness can be easily increased, in localized high-stress areas - something very difficult to accomplish in the metal-stamping process. Designers can create long, flowing contours and achieve shapes not possible with sheet metal, slicing through wind resistance at the same time as being eye-catching. Optimally designed, the high stiffness-to-weight ratio of carbon fiber composites enables weight savings of 75 to 80 percent versus steel, 30 to 40 percent versus aluminum, and up to 50 percent versus fiberglass SMC. In addition, carbon fiber composites are durable - a fact supported by decades of use in military applications such as helicopters and jet fighters, where the material's infinite fatigue life is invaluable.

Now throw in the X-factor - or sex appeal of carbon fiber - and its associated "high-tech" reputation. Carbon fiber is associated with things that go really fast, like airplanes, rockets and championship racecars, making them a natural fit for production sports cars. Most carbon fiber automotive components produced today employ familiar aerospace and Formula 1 design techniques, and various forms of prepreg material.

SJFE
05-05-2007, 06:45 PM
So exactly why are you using different fins on each side? seems like drag would be different so you would have to turn rudder to comp. slowing whole boat down with even more drag?

I have been advised that this setup works. There are 2 reasons really. First is I don't really turn left at all. I run my boats in an oval as if I where racing. The second is cost. The fullers fins are 28.00 delivered. The AQ fin on this boat was paid for and the other one I have comming is 10 bucks. Getting back to why I only turn right. If I run them same way lap after lap in the same direction and area there is less chance of hiting somthing or running aground. Darting around randomly doesent do much for improoving driving skill and getting a feel for the hull IMO.

drobie
05-05-2007, 07:32 PM

I don't have a pic handy, but I have a stock turn fin on the right and a VERY small (1 in.) on the left.

We race with just one sweeping left turn and the small left fin is big enough to negotiate the left.

Sorry if the following is too elementary but Rc boats with right-handed props are all handicapped when turning left because they have to fight the prop walk.

The harder you turn left, the more drag you'll get.

Mich. Maniac
05-05-2007, 07:35 PM
sounds reasonable in both directions. I prefer oval's myself. makes for coolness in all aspects I think.

drobie
05-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I prefer oval's myself. makes for coolness in all aspects I think.

We prefer something like this. A driver's course. With SV's, because they're so closely matched in speed, a course like this is WAY COOL. :D :D
http://www.madisonrcboats.org/images/NAMBA%20Offset%20Offshore%20course.jpg

Steven Vaccaro
05-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Go for it if you're willing to pay the premium over FG and have the choice. Stronger and weighs less.

This from an article:

Quote:
Among mass-reducing materials, carbon fiber composites rank highly. As an anisotropic material, carbon's properties can be tailored in specific directions, which provides increased stiffness and strength along load paths. In a composite component, the part thickness can be easily increased, in localized high-stress areas - something very difficult to accomplish in the metal-stamping process. Designers can create long, flowing contours and achieve shapes not possible with sheet metal, slicing through wind resistance at the same time as being eye-catching. Optimally designed, the high stiffness-to-weight ratio of carbon fiber composites enables weight savings of 75 to 80 percent versus steel, 30 to 40 percent versus aluminum, and up to 50 percent versus fiberglass SMC. In addition, carbon fiber composites are durable - a fact supported by decades of use in military applications such as helicopters and jet fighters, where the material's infinite fatigue life is invaluable.

Now throw in the X-factor - or sex appeal of carbon fiber - and its associated "high-tech" reputation. Carbon fiber is associated with things that go really fast, like airplanes, rockets and championship racecars, making them a natural fit for production sports cars. Most carbon fiber automotive components produced today employ familiar aerospace and Formula 1 design techniques, and various forms of prepreg material.

I have read lots of things suggesting that carbon makes are prop rc boat because of interference. Is this myth or fact in your opinion?

SJFE
05-06-2007, 08:15 AM
I have mounted my rx on cf and next to cf bulkheads and reinforcment...never had a problem. If you think about it, have a look at all of the new high end electric touring cars. Every one of them are 90% cf. I am thinking myth.