PDA

View Full Version : Charger advice pls...

dogg
12-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Hey everyone,I've been asking some questions here that really show my ignorance re FE since my last toy was a 2 stroke car...

I have just purchased a Genesis - totally stock.
I'm going to place an order with HK and am after advice re the charger/s required.
I'll run 2 2s 5000ma 40c batts in series in the boat and would like to charge them without doing one after the other.
I MAY also upgrade if temps are fine to 2 4s in parallel for longer run times so whatever charger/s I get I would like to cover this possibility.

I have considered getting a 2 channel charger but it looks cheaper to grab 2 individual chargers to run simultaneously.

Any suggestions re brands (prefferably avail from HK so I can get it in the same order) and decent quality with decent pricing?

Thanks in advance for your help, regards, Ari.

siberianhusky
12-23-2012, 06:24 AM
The key thing to look for is how many watts a charger can provide.
This means you need to use an external power supply as most AC chargers are limited in terms of power output.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12105__HobbyKing_ECO6_10_200W_10A_6S_Bal_Dis_Cyc _Charger_w_acc_.html

something like this would be the minimum I'd suggest, you could parallel charge a pair of 4s 5000mah packs at 10 amps of 1C charge rate.
Thats about the limit for this charger, you can charge bigger packs but your charge time will go up because the charger cant provide enough power.
One of the most common mistakes is buying a charger with to low a power rating.
I'd personally look for a charger that can do a 8s and has more than 400 watts power.
With an 8s charger you can series charge a pair of 4s packs as a single 8s pack with the proper balance adapter, takes less time to put 5000mah into an 8s pack than 10000mah back into a pair of 4s packs in parallel.
With higher end batteries you can charge at a higher rate, I regularly charge a pair of packs in series in about 20 minutes at the pond using fast charge and no balance.
If your packs cells are well matched you don't need to balance charge every time, I only balance charge at home before I go out. Quality cells will charge and discharge very evenly as long as they are well cared for and not discharged to far or over heated and puffed.
Plus to be honest as soon as you connect up your batteries they balance themselves.
My next charger will be a Powerlab 8 from FMA, HK sells them rebranded as the Fatboy 8, same charger though. Expensive but it's a great charger, lots of features, some of which may never be used, not sure I'll ever charge my truck battery with it but hey in an emergency at the pond might be handy some day.
As I said before all the high power chargers need an external power supply, most people use converted computer power supplies, cheap and readily available.
It's impossible to have "too much" charger but all to easy to have not enough, then you have to buy another to do what you find out you require.
Hyperion also make a great high end charger, one of the more popular brands.

kingwrench
12-23-2012, 11:32 AM
My advice is do not skimp on quality, and more is better as far as amp rate of charge. I have used many chargers and spent many hours waiting for Lipos to charge. Until I purchased my fma cell lab 6, revolectrix charge board, and max amps 24v 47 amp power supply. A great set up I can charge 6 (6s) batterys at 30amps at once. charge time is around 25 to 30 min. No heat in batterys. One thing that you need to pay very close attention to with this set up,It will charge up to 40 amps. so Knowing the C charge rate of the pacs is a must, and never charge over the recc rate. Or the fire department will be showing up.

dogg
12-24-2012, 04:13 AM
the key thing to look for is how many watts a charger can provide.
This means you need to use an external power supply as most ac chargers are limited in terms of power output.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12105__hobbyking_eco6_10_200w_10a_6s_bal_dis_cyc _charger_w_acc_.html

with this charger and two 4s packs in parallel, do i need an adapter for the balance leads or does it take two leads at a time (turnigy)? Or do i plug in only one of the leads? Sorry for my ignorance....

something like this would be the minimum i'd suggest, you could parallel charge a pair of 4s 5000mah packs at 10 amps of 1c charge rate.
Thats about the limit for this charger, you can charge bigger packs but your charge time will go up because the charger cant provide enough power.
One of the most common mistakes is buying a charger with to low a power rating.
I'd personally look for a charger that can do a 8s and has more than 400 watts power.
With an 8s charger you can series charge a pair of 4s packs as a single 8s pack with the proper balance adapter, takes less time to put 5000mah into an 8s pack than 10000mah back into a pair of 4s packs in parallel.
With higher end batteries you can charge at a higher rate, i regularly charge a pair of packs in series in about 20 minutes at the pond using fast charge and no balance.
If your packs cells are well matched you don't need to balance charge every time, i only balance charge at home before i go out. Quality cells will charge and discharge very evenly as long as they are well cared for and not discharged to far or over heated and puffed.
Plus to be honest as soon as you connect up your batteries they balance themselves.
My next charger will be a powerlab 8 from fma, hk sells them rebranded as the fatboy 8, same charger though. Expensive but it's a great charger, lots of features, some of which may never be used, not sure i'll ever charge my truck battery with it but hey in an emergency at the pond might be handy some day.
As i said before all the high power chargers need an external power supply, most people use converted computer power supplies, cheap and readily available.
It's impossible to have "too much" charger but all to easy to have not enough, then you have to buy another to do what you find out you require.
Hyperion also make a great high end charger, one of the more popular brands.

thanks again

siberianhusky
12-24-2012, 05:34 AM
You only need to plug in one balance plug if your charging in parallel, but both sets of main leads need to be plugged in.

dogg
12-24-2012, 07:04 AM
You only need to plug in one balance plug if your charging in parallel, but both sets of main leads need to be plugged in.

Thankyou very much for your help regarding this Siberianhusky. Much appreciated for all responses...
Sorted now, just need to find out what current a computer PS will supply!?

siberianhusky
12-24-2012, 07:53 AM
A guy on here sells converted 47 amp server supplies for a good price, for a small charger like that one you can get away with any normal pc supply, the one I use supplies 15 amps @ 12V, got 3 free for asking from a computer shop, they just recycle bin the used power supplies, if you get a pair that match it's pretty easy to wire them up in series for more voltage. Lots of directions online for converting a pc supply to a bench supply.
Most sort of current supplies have more than enough capacity, newer computers are real power hogs.

jkr
12-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Price wise i-charger 106.
Accurate like a 200$ charger and doesn't need big psu!
Remember if you don't have accurate charger,you will end up you're lipos shortly.

Basstronics
12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
I have this and like it:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17422__TURNIGY_MEGA_400W_V2_Lithium_Polymer_Batt ery_Charger_Version_2_.html

I wish I would of bought this one though:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20613__Turnigy_MEGA_400Wx2_Battery_Charger_Disch arger_800W_.html

iridebikes247
12-27-2012, 09:17 PM
I would try the charger Basstronics suggested. Also

http://www.keithbradleyboats.com/?wpsc-product=sky-200-x-2-charger

I bought this charger from amainhobbies.com over the summer as the protek duo 200X2 or something. Anyway its a great charger. Don't even bother with the AC charger nonsense, you'll want to upgrade fast. Hobbyking has a few great power supplies I really think you'll want a X2 charger as a charger is an investment sorta thing. I prefer not to spend a ton on a charger and have a few so as to "diversify my portfolio,
lol.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Hey everyone,I've been asking some questions here that really show my ignorance re FE since my last toy was a 2 stroke car...

I have just purchased a Genesis - totally stock.
I'm going to place an order with HK and am after advice re the charger/s required.
I'll run 2 2s 5000ma 40c batts in series in the boat and would like to charge them without doing one after the other.
I MAY also upgrade if temps are fine to 2 4s in parallel for longer run times so whatever charger/s I get I would like to cover this possibility.

I have considered getting a 2 channel charger but it looks cheaper to grab 2 individual chargers to run simultaneously.

Any suggestions re brands (prefferably avail from HK so I can get it in the same order) and decent quality with decent pricing?

Thanks in advance for your help, regards, Ari.

I've discussed this with many a driver from novice to pro.
Charger and radio are areas you do NOT want to skimp on. Best charger out that I see the fastest guys using is the Hyperion 720i
Cost a bit, but you will be the boss. Weak chargers give false readings from balance to volts.

If the 720I is too expendo try a 610 duo.
Hyperion is the best charger you can buy and believe me it makes a difference.

Cheap chargers play out after a season so you'll be spending either way..

kingwrench
12-28-2012, 04:01 PM
I have two Hyperion 720I chargers and one FMA powerlab 6. The Hyperion just does not seem to be as accurate or as effeicent JMO.. I perfer the FMA power lab 6 charger over all others, using 24volt input power supply the powerlab will deliver 1000w of power Can charge at an amp output of 40amps. http://fmadirect.com/ and using the par charge board charge up to 6 batterys at the same time. http://www.revolectrix.com/MPA_XH.htm And what is great no heat in the batterys from charging. my gens ace 6s 5000mah batterys. Or my Hyperion 5000mah batterys. My boat hold's (8) 6s batt's. I charge 4 at a time, and can charge them in under 30 min.

jkr
12-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Fma and i-charger are the most accurate out there!

dogg
12-29-2012, 03:58 AM
Thankyou everyone, I really appreciate the advice... I can make the most from the extra advice since HK stuffed up the payment and it's all on hold LOL...
Kingwrench, 8 x 6s batts!? Bloody hell mate, pretty serious bit of boat! Is that the drambuie
(110 mph)?

siberianhusky
12-29-2012, 07:27 AM
The cheap chinese chargers are not that accurate, you get what you pay for, I have one and it's nowhere near as accurate as my buddies FMA. Hence the statement that a Powerlab will be my next charger. I'd rather have one good powerful charger than a number of cheap inaccurate ones, doesn't make sense to me to spend the same amount of money in the end for a number of inferior products in place of one quality product. Plus FMA has a warranty that means something, and a US warehouse that deals with issues.
Never even seen an Icharger so I have no comment good or bad I've looked at them before online but thought they have some odd ideas about cell numbers and wattage, seems that for some of models the cell count goes up as the power goes down! In my books Hyperion and FMA are the way to go.

jcald2000
12-29-2012, 08:05 AM
I Chargers had BIG issues when they were released, so I bought the FMA pl8, best charger BY FAR in my 20 years of F/E boating!

kingwrench
12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes The Drambuie on ice "Current Problem" runs 12S 2P 6S x 8. She has a best speed of 110mph. She is not even working hard, Yet this winter Im stepping up to 15S and see what happens, Hopefully not a $8000.00 fire ball. LOL
Thankyou everyone, I really appreciate the advice... I can make the most from the extra advice since HK stuffed up the payment and it's all on hold LOL...
Kingwrench, 8 x 6s batts!? Bloody hell mate, pretty serious bit of boat! Is that the drambuie
(110 mph)?