PDA

View Full Version : Which Octura prop with stock electronics and 4s?

bob_t
12-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Which would be a good prop for the Revolt with stock electronics on 4s ... M440, M445 or X44? series... ? Also, has anyone tried the CNC aluminum props sold here on OSE? Looks like it would need to be either the 4214 (1.65" X 2.32") or the 4014 (1.575" X 2.30") ...? Thought it would be best to ask first, rather than smoke something by trial and error. I already have a S/B M445 that I tried on my MG29 (all stock) and that seemed to develop more heat than I was comfortable with and the performance wasn't all that much improved, so I went back to the S/B PB SS "stilleto" prop on the MG.

Thanks,
Bob

Mike Caruso
12-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Hi Bob,
Just do a search in the upper right hand corner for Revolt Props you'll get plenty.
Mike

bob_t
12-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Yep, already did that - thats how I narrowed it down the the 44_ props! Same thing when I searched for MG29 props. From that I learned that many times folks had listed great results with "XYZ" prop, but after reading more and learning "who has what" on here, from other threads, I learned that they were running 120A or 180A escs and /or different motors, or were on the ragged edge of smoke trying to get that last 1-2 mph! Don't want this to be taken in a negative way, thats why I tried to be specific and asked regarding "bone stock" configuration, with (hopefully) some safety margin. Its all good!

Thanks,
Bob

tlandauer
12-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Which would be a good prop for the Revolt with stock electronics on 4s ... M440, M445 or X44? series... ? Also, has anyone tried the CNC aluminum props sold here on OSE? Looks like it would need to be either the 4214 (1.65" X 2.32") or the 4014 (1.575" X 2.30") ...? Thought it would be best to ask first, rather than smoke something by trial and error. I already have a S/B M445 that I tried on my MG29 (all stock) and that seemed to develop more heat than I was comfortable with and the performance wasn't all that much improved, so I went back to the S/B PB SS "stilleto" prop on the MG.

Thanks,
Bob
While I can't give you advice as which prop to use, may I make a comment with regard to my impression of the CNC prop. These are quite thin and delicate, especially on the edges, a small amount of pressing with your nail can nick the sharp edge. Also it has some tool marks. I ended up using fine sand paper to buff it away. If one is familiar with the brass prop, it is something new to get used to. I am not by any means putting down these aluminum props, just to point out my initial thoughts upon receiving them.
Cheers!

100 mph jet boat
12-22-2012, 07:32 PM
bone stock with a m545 = 47mph:thumbup:

Mike Caruso
12-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Yep, already did that - thats how I narrowed it down the the 44_ props! Same thing when I searched for MG29 props. From that I learned that many times folks had listed great results with "XYZ" prop, but after reading more and learning "who has what" on here, from other threads, I learned that they were running 120A or 180A escs and /or different motors, or were on the ragged edge of smoke trying to get that last 1-2 mph! Don't want this to be taken in a negative way, thats why I tried to be specific and asked regarding "bone stock" configuration, with (hopefully) some safety margin. Its all good!

Thanks,
Bob

Hey Bob,
I was out shopping when I got your message and sent you an answer. But it must not have got to you from my iPhone. Just search my name and you will get all the answers for props that worked for me. Stop boat ESC, Motor and Grim 4s battery. 45.7 to 52.0 mph done with Eagle Tree.
I have run 45.7 = 45x68 Grim prop, 39-40 = 42x55 Grim Prop, * 52 mph = X642 Octura Stock motor, esc boat and everything.*
Mike
p.s. also see Revolt Breaks 60mph

bob_t
12-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks, didn't know if your's was stock or not. I re-read through the "which batteries are best" where you described what you were running, but was not sure on your setup. (Thanks for the info). I bought the M445 for my MG29 based on what I read. Found out that you really need the 60A esc if you want to run that prop as a general purpose setup, for longevity. Now that I am coming up the FE learning curve, the M440 would have probably been a better choice for the stock 45A esc. I appreciate all of the knowledge and advise that is offered here!
Thanks,
Bob

Mike Caruso
12-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi Bob,
The next thing I will try is a LI-FE battery pack to power the RX and servo. That should reduce the load on the ESC.
Mike
P.S. Look this over below you can see what I did before I put my Revolt into the water 30 pictures.
Member List, Mike Caruso, Albums, Re Volt 45 mph

bob_t
12-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks ... looked through your album ... bullet connectors, brass break-away screw, nice water outlet, rudder support, etc .... nice!

Mike Caruso
12-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Stuffing box tube was loose from China so just use a little Shoe Goo to seal it. Look again and you can see I added a balsa support under the tube. Rough the tube up with 80 grit and cover it all in epoxy. I also added wood supports to front and rear of the battery box and motor mounts. Stock cable and drive nut are a waste of time. Give them the 'Floatation test'. If they sink they're junk! This way your first time in the water will be fun for both Dad and son. These boats turn on a dime even at 30 mph so be careful. Keep an eye on prop shaft end clearance and lube with Grim lube every run to keep strut wear to a min.
Most of all have fun and anytime that battery is plugged in that prop can do a lot of damage.
Mike

bob_t
12-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the "heads-up" on those couple of items. I'll take another look at your photos. I did notice the wood support under the stuffing box tube. Will check ours on Christmas day!! Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with the stock flex shaft ... break quickly, cable not centered to stub shaft ... ? Will probably just end up buying OSE flex shafts for all of our boats. For the Revolt, it recommends a upgrading to a new coupler ... does the stock one have issues?

Alfa Spirit
12-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Octura M445 or M545 or X442 or X642

:tiphat:

Mike Caruso
12-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the "heads-up" on those couple of items. I'll take another look at your photos. I did notice the wood support under the stuffing box tube. Will check ours on Christmas day!! Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with the stock flex shaft ... break quickly, cable not centered to stub shaft ... ? Will probably just end up buying OSE flex shafts for all of our boats. For the Revolt, it recommends a upgrading to a new coupler ... does the stock one have issues?

Prop shaft not centered was because the tube was loose in my case, so all I did was put it in the correct position all good. If the newer batch of boat cable's are NOT SPOT WELDED to the stud shaft they might be OK. That is why I replaced mine, used either Hughey or Octura cables. Coupler on mine was heat treated wrong and was brittle possible that problem has been fixed also. Do your self a favor just buy a different one I just happen to like Aeromarine and Octura but there are other one that run true and stay tight.
All in all it is still the best bang for the buck. I am still going to buy myself another one that's how much I like it. And yes a new Grim 4s battery I will also buy one from Mark as I really like everything I have read about the design and what I have heard here on OSE. Great site thanks Steven and good people stay on here the others go elsewhere.
Merry Christmas!
Mike

chipgibbs
12-23-2012, 09:57 PM
I have run the x642, m545, grim 45 x 68 and the hands down winner for top speed was the m545. I haven't had any heat problems with any of these.

With the m545 I was able to get a consistent 47.5mph with a Hyperion 4s 4200mah 35c lipo. Only changes to the boat were to sharpen the hardware and replace the flex with OSE unit.

CG3

bob_t
12-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback/input ... I appreciate it!

Happy Holidays,
Bob

Mike Caruso
12-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Hey Bob,

One more thing I have done for years is buy a steel 3/16 x 3 foot shaft from the hardware store. Pick through them until you find one which will roll so you know it's not bent. When setting up my boats I remove the propeller and cable, insert the steel 3/16 shaft. Now with the hull level, the shaft will hang but you can gently lift it up and down to find the center line. Also you must check it side to side so I know when I say I have ZERO on the strut it is up-down, left-right. That way you really know which prop does what and my best yet is 52 mph with this setup on the stock Revolt using an Octura M645. This prop needs the blades thinned as it looks like it for a Tug Boat. Man it works great. The next one I like right out of the bag is an Octura X642 nice thin blades almost in balance. My boat just loves this one very easy to drive and ran 50 mph.

Mike