PDA

View Full Version : Miss Vegas FE conversion

devo
12-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Mtbenjamin77 and I built this boat a few months ago and I never took time to post any pics. But first a few things about the boat. It rund an 80amp esc out of a new blkjack and a leopard 3674 1700kv motor, which with the right prop this boat is capable of close to if not 70 I believe. It had carbon fiber inlay to stiffen it up a bit

jamie
12-23-2012, 10:31 PM
What cells ? any video ?? Should be interesting :w00t:

devo
12-23-2012, 10:37 PM
6's is all I've ever run it on. I have some videos let me see what I can find

adam777
12-24-2012, 12:26 AM
nice boat. i really like this boat. can you share some of this videos . i want to see this Rc Båt (http://www.nitrotek.se/radiostyrda-batar.html) running.

mtbenjamin77
12-24-2012, 12:58 AM
I have a short vid taken with a phone cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmxI4jb6XgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJrEsVtyow4

devo
12-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Travis thanks for posting the vids.

These two vids are not the best representation of this boat as I never really got into it like I usually do and therefore the speeds I was talking about just aren't there. This was the first run on the boat after a collision with a rather large turtle the week before, that broke the rudder and bent the turn fin pretty badly. Hopefully I can get a better video next weekend. I need to get a lifter prop for the boat and it would probably run a good bit better, I've just been running a cnc 443 prop which is not ideal for a hydro. I'm open to suggestions.

Doby
12-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Nice vids, but no where near 70mph.

devo
12-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Nice vids, but no where near 70mph.
I'm glad you can see, so why don't you read my above post where I stated that. This boat runs close to if not 70 and I know this because it walks away from my friends boat that we radared at 63. Plus I have a stiletto that runs 56 GPS and it seems like slow motion compared to this boat. I guess when I get the right prop again I will get my friends radar gun and we will see.

Just for laughs how fast do you think it was running in the vid?

Doby
12-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Not near 70.

devo
12-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Not near 70.
Come on man, what do you think 30-35? I got a Great idea, since you have a keen since of speed why don't we make a friendly bet, the next time I run it I will put a GPS inside, post up the vid and let you guess the speed, and if your within 4+or- you win if not I win. I know for a fact that in the above vid the boat was running Damn near if not over 60, and if you listen to the motor I only gave it 100% throttle for maybe 3-4 seconds the whole time, so there is a good bit more left, but maybe you do know more about my boat than me? My friend has a mean machine with a 4092 he runs on 6s and it don't hold a candle to my boat every time we race it's not even competitive and that boat has Been verified at 63 on various occasions

properchopper
12-24-2012, 03:14 PM
The boat seems nicely set up, but unlikely to hit seventy with your setup in spite of the rather high KV for 6S (37,640rpm). The KTM graphics go well with the looks, btw :thumbup1:

Here's mine with a Neu 1515 1Y on 4s doing a litle over 60mph. Doubt that the boat will be anywhere near stable if you go too much over 60mph [which is optimistic with your power]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWAMNT-uLA

devo
12-24-2012, 05:29 PM
The boat seems nicely set up, but unlikely to hit seventy with your setup in spite of the rather high KV for 6S (37,640rpm). The KTM graphics go well with the looks, btw :thumbup1:

Here's mine with a Neu 1515 1Y on 4s doing a litle over 60mph. Doubt that the boat will be anywhere near stable if you go too much over 60mph [which is optimistic with your power]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWAMNT-uLA

When I really run it hard it gets pretty loose like yours did, and I ran it a couple times with a 445 prop which made it the fastest but it was at the same time Damn near uncontrolable. The one thing my boat has going for it is that it's super light, that's why I went with the 3674 as opposed to a larger 4074 or 82. I really want to get a GPS so that I can see exactly how fast it's going, but if your saying yours was doing low 60'S then I would have to say mine is running right at 60 when I run it hard. I can tell you that I was using a speed app on my iphone in another one of my boats that's not near as fast and it was hitting 56 so that app must not be too accurate.

jamie
12-24-2012, 06:19 PM
70 huh

Gary
12-24-2012, 06:30 PM
This much I know about two Miss Vegas conversions I did. Boats where completely out of controll at 63-65 and up. To the point that most of the day was spent for rescues. If you can get 70 or better I would love to see your secrets on the sponsons and wieght distribution.I scapped both projects and went to Phil Thomas hulls.

mtbenjamin77
12-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Devo,

That prop we tested when it was too squirely to drive was a 645 not 445. I remember you were a little uneasy with me driving it like that. :scared: The air foil in the MV1 hull is too large for it to hit 70 and be reasonably stable, too much lift at the bow. That's what made it so squirely, it was lifting up too high outta the water then one sponson would touch the water surface causing drag to one side the the other sponson would touch water and cause drag to the opposite side. We could mod the sponsons by adding some steps and pads to help alleviate this problem, it's been done before. I've built so many MV hulls its rediculous. I was ask to write a how to article for one of my designs by the deisgner of the hull, JD. But then you get to where gary was and you're spending too much time and money on a boat that you could just step up and buy a hull thats already designed to perform at those speeds. In my case I had a unlimited supply of MV1 hulls so I modded those things for fun, not to reach any certain speeds. As far as your boat, the KTM, it's by far one of the fastest boats at our pond for sure and we did radar geralds motley crew at 63. So the KTM is definitely pushing the limits. I mean, it was setup by me :rockon2:. What have we changed since the maidden? Nothing.

Gary
12-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Mine had a nasty habbit of subbing itself when I would get off the throttle.

devo
12-25-2012, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=Gary;475099]Mine had a nasty habbit of subbing itself when I would get off the throttle.[/QUOTE
Mine doesn't have that issue at all and we were very careful not to put to much of a weight/motor in it and seriously weigh down the front because I could see that happening and had been warned by others about the boat submarining.

devo
12-25-2012, 04:22 PM
This much I know about two Miss Vegas conversions I did. Boats where completely out of controll at 63-65 and up. To the point that most of the day was spent for rescues. If you can get 70 or better I would love to see your secrets on the sponsons and wieght distribution.I scapped both projects and went to Phil Thomas hulls.

What Phil Thomas hulls do you run and what motors if you dont mind me asking as im thinking seriously of buying one myself.

Gary
12-25-2012, 05:32 PM
PT Supersport 45, NEU 1530, 2200kv. TP 65-130c 6s speeds around 97-100mph

devo
12-25-2012, 07:22 PM
May I ask one more question, what ESC are you using to power up that monster 1530?

Gary
12-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Castle ice 240

mtbenjamin77
12-25-2012, 10:44 PM

Gary,

You ever try to set and SAW records with your SS45?

Gary
12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Hell no! Mabe if boat was a consistant 105-110 I would try but other wise I wouldnt want to embarrass myself in front of guys who know what they are doing LOL !! Any speed challenge is done for my own fun. I love the chase....keeps me busy !t video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvi9KIth-kg Here is a 90 run from last year. Video not to good.

mtbenjamin77
12-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Here's a vid of my nitro SS45. It was setup up in race trim and running on 40%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X4d8TfR23I

borgie
01-01-2013, 06:35 AM
how big are the rudder on these

mtbenjamin77
01-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Hell no! Mabe if boat was a consistant 105-110 I would try but other wise I wouldnt want to embarrass myself in front of guys who know what they are doing LOL !! Any speed challenge is done for my own fun. I love the chase....keeps me busy !t video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvi9KIth-kg Here is a 90 run from last year. Video not to good.

I think you're talking about the hydro record, here's the latest Q sport hydro

Q Sport Hydro
Brian Buaas
Nov-09
2.78 seconds
80.78 mhp
NEV
H&M
Octura/Grim V942

mtbenjamin77
01-01-2013, 02:38 PM
how big are the rudder on these

Devo's vegas runs the stock rudder prolly <100mm or 4in. long

DJkayak
01-04-2013, 09:41 PM
I have a vegas that was converted to electric from gas and it was running very well, till i tore off my rudder and since i did that and replaced the rudder. ----- i am now having a problem with it cavitating when i go into a turn -- either left or right ! Do you have any advice to offer me on correcting this problem ? I have moved the strut and prop up and down and level with no positive results.
As you can see i am relativily new into rc race boats. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

devo
01-05-2013, 07:54 AM
I have a vegas that was converted to electric from gas and it was running very well, till i tore off my rudder and since i did that and replaced the rudder. ----- i am now having a problem with it cavitating when i go into a turn -- either left or right ! Do you have any advice to offer me on correcting this problem ? I have moved the strut and prop up and down and level with no positive results.
As you can see i am relativily new into rc race boats. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Did you replace the broken rudder with another one just like it? I have always run the stock rudder on mine, but ive broken two of them hitting turtles, so now I put a breakaway screw in the lower mount hole.

DJkayak
01-05-2013, 08:58 AM
YES, i did replace it with a stock rudder. and i managed to put in a nylon screw so it would break away the next time. but i have been thinking that when i hit the shore line ---- which broke the rudder assy, i hit it pretty hard, and maybe i moved or damaged something else. i am going to try a larger prop today to see if that will make any difference. i have set the strut level straight with the bottom of the hull -- for the larger prop. --- we'll see how it runs today -- and I'll let you know.

Tks Dave

devo
01-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Are you running a turn/stabilizer fin on your boat? These boats are designed to have one on the back of the right sponson and as far as I've ever seen they only turn right.

mtbenjamin77
01-07-2013, 05:34 PM

DJ,

Post detailed pics of your MV specifically the transom and hardware. Also sport hydros turn right only, I've seen some bad spills from ppl trying to turn left even at 3/4 throttle