PDA

View Full Version : Best Batteries for Revolt 30

ironboater58
12-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Expected my revolt next tuesday What are the least expensive LIPO Batteries to get as a start

MAMBA2200
12-14-2012, 05:06 PM
you could get some sky lipo from hobbypartz the 2s 40c is what i use and they work great and there cheap

bob_t
12-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Most of the "cheap" lipos come with banana plugs, so you will need to either buy some female Deans plugs and remove/replace the bananas with Deans on the batteries, or buy some bullet plugs and change the plugs out of the ESC to be bullets. Main point is, you can't just take the battery out of the package, charge it, plug it into your boat, and go run it. Other option (if you choose to keep the Deans plugs) is to buy lipos that already have Deans plugs ... you can get the Thunder Powers with deans already installed, for $30 per battery, as I posted earlier. I have not run Thunder Power batteries, so I can't comment how good/bad they are.

longballlumber
12-16-2012, 11:23 AM
This would be a great battery. Its completely plug and play with the Revolt; no soldering required. Buy a decent one now and it will last longer...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXFT&P=0

later,
Mike

dana
12-16-2012, 11:31 AM
I second sky lipo. They're inexpensive, as per your request. More expensive batteries may last longer, but for the price I just buy a new set of the "cheap" ones. 300 bux buys you 1 set of expensive batteries vs. 6 sets of affordable batteries.
I'm not sure the expensive ones would outlast 6 sets of the cheaper ones. I dunno.,. Jmo

bob_t
12-16-2012, 12:22 PM
I thought the deal on the 2s Thunder Power 5400mah, 25C batteries with Deans installed for $30 each (when you buy the 4-pack) and free shipping was a really good deal. Thats on par with the Gens Ace and sky's for price, with no additional "work" involved. I have not used any Thunder Power's yet, but have heard on here that they have a decent customer support/warranty, so I might give that 4-pack offer a try. I have 6 of the 5300mah 30C Gens Ace ... one quickly developed a bad cell, and one is always out of balance, but they work good (other than the one with the bad cell). I have a couple other brands of "higher" quality 5000mah 2s's, and don't see any difference in performance between them and the Gens Ace, so far.

Mike Caruso
12-16-2012, 07:15 PM
This would be a great battery. Its completely plug and play with the Revolt; no soldering required. Buy a decent one now and it will last longer...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXFT&P=0

later,
Mike

2nd that's what I run balances perfect everytime. Make sure you re-read the Re Volt instructions about making a short run and time it. Then follow what is said. And try never to run the batter to low as the low voltage cutoff (LVC) in the ESC is just a fuzz to low. BUT it does not matter if you never hit it right?
Mike

bob_t
12-16-2012, 08:48 PM
... And try never to run the batter to low as the low voltage cutoff (LVC) in the ESC is just a fuzz to low. ... Mike

It would be nice if the AQ escs' had "some" programmability like some others have. It would be a nice addition to a nice boat. I have hit the lvc on my PB boats once or twice, getting distracted and not paying close attention to how much time I ran. Their lvc is slightly above 12V. The AQ lvc is well below that per the manual - says 11.6V one place and then 10.8V in another place within the same manual - I don't know which it really is. It says it has a stutter bump at 12V; hopefully it will be quite noticable if I ever do hit it, I don't want to hurt my batteries.

Mike Caruso
12-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Hey Bob not a perfect RTR world Ha.
I am at a very nice driving 52 mph with Octura X642 right now and it still has the stock motor and esc.
No complaints here my friend.
Mike

bob_t
12-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Not meaning to complain ... can't wait for my new Revolt to get here!! I know the companies all make compromises, and they really are quite nice, right out of the box. I have an extra, brand new 60A PB controller ... I assume if I don't like AQ one, I can just swap it out, right? In actuality, the pond we run in is too short for a 50 mph boat, upper 30's is about right for our backyard pond. I already have an extra 42X55 grim racer prop, so I balanced it last night, and will swap it out before I run the boat.

BTW, I know this off topic and do not want to de-rail this thread, but, out of curiosity, what prop are you using? :beerchug:

Mike Caruso
12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Not meaning to complain ... can't wait for my new Revolt to get here!! I know the companies all make compromises, and they really are quite nice, right out of the box. I have an extra, brand new 60A PB controller ... I assume if I don't like AQ one, I can just swap it out, right? In actuality, the pond we run in is too short for a 50 mph boat, upper 30's is about right for our backyard pond. I already have an extra 42X55 grim racer prop, so I balanced it last night, and will swap it out before I run the boat.

BTW, I know this off topic and do not want to de-rail this thread, but, out of curiosity, what prop are you using? :beerchug:

The first time in the water was a 45x68 = 47.5 mph windy day choppy water, next time out same prop 42.0 mph water as smooth as glass no wind. Installed 42x45 =38.5 mph.
Then because I messed with the throttle trim bringing the boat back to shore......the boat slowed way down??????
I had to learn the hard way set the throttle trim knob to 2 o'clock then lock the radio to the boat. BANG TOP END CAME RIGHT BACK.
Since then we had a warm Sunday three weeks ago up here in Chicago, IL I ran one more battery pack and three different props.
First glass water no wind 16.8v, M545 = 47-48 mph I did not like it torque steer lots, 15.5v, X642 (not x437 that was wrong) second ran and drove very nice 48-48.5 mph, leats one 14.5v, THIRD RUN M645 = 52.0 MPH RAN VERY CLEAN AND HANDLED GREAT.
Merry Christmas!
Mike